Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  12:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I've been reading up on IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) and having thought this was only a virus affecting boids (boas and pythons) it turns out Colubrids can also contract it

so what quarantine procedures does anyone have in place if you have a new arrival? I must confess to very little, new arrivals have their own viv (even if the long term plan might be cohabiting) but are kept in the same room as the others. newbies are fed last if i'm feeding several snakes, but will be fed in the same tub.
the potential for a virus or ectoparasite eg mites to be passed around my collection is, scarily, quite high

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  14:41:04  Show Profile
OMG... Just looked this up.... its really frightening. As a matter of general hygeine I always ensure I wash my hands after visiting any reptile place, and use the same procedures as well as antibac spray between handling any of my animals/reptiles.

My daughters boyfriend has brought both his ball and his boa down to introduce them to us over the last week or so and I used the same precautions then, but to think that this may even be a potential airborne viral infection does not bear thinking about. Let alone the fact that I don't go so far as to change my clothes between handling or use other forms of PPE.

I think I really must think this issue through before I handle any more reps, especially when visiting herp shows and sellers etc. I think I would rather be know as somewhat idiosyncratic and over cautious than run the risk of carrying and potentially passing on this virus to my own or any other beloved pets.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  17:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We quarantine all ours for 6 months (but then we don't house or handle them together anyway, so I supposed they are quarantined for life really ), but if we think there's extra reason to we move them into another room i.e- we thought Trilby might have an R.I so she lives upstairs.

I just wash my hands a lot and don't share food between the snakes, especially not the boa and royal. If either of these have been near any prey item it's binned. The corns might get left overs from other corns, but only if they've definitely not touched it.

Infections can pass on by your clothes too so be careful.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:26:25  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Wash your hands
Wash your hands
Wash your hands

The number one way to reduce any cross-contaminations, even if its just changing a water bowl.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:25:48  Show Profile
I use anti-bac gel, but i didnt quarentine my royal from my corn when I got her. Obviously they are never together, but they were in the same room.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Washing your hands is great, but isn't IBD airborne? I think its suggested to quarantine in a separate room if possible. I haven't done this in the past as I have got my snakes from people I know quite well and trust. However, I have a pair coming early next year from a source I've not used before, so they will be kept in a separate room.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  18:33:38  Show Profile
Are those your morph royal pair BE?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:04:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, my Fireballs

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:27:40  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

.... my Fireballs

You can get cream for that B.E.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Is that a Biologists favourite joke?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:47:25  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
On a more serious note than my last post. Just found this web article with some interesting links at the bottom.

(Sorry B.E. The spirit of Sid seems to have followed me here too .)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  19:49:25  Show Profile
lol

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:18:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

On a more serious note than my last post. Just found this web article with some interesting links at the bottom.

(Sorry B.E. The spirit of Sid seems to have followed me here too .)

Can we see it?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:34:12  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
OOOPS!!!!

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1387&S=4

Works better if I actually click "Paste" after copying.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:37:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That was my revenge

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  21:10:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Sorry folks i didn't mean to go scare-mongering! i just thought i'd try to keep people informed and hopefully encourage people to think about what they do handling and housing their own and other snakes.

i was truly shocked (and naive?) thinking colubrids couldn't catch it. BE mentioned buying from a trusted source, i think this a huge help, however IBD can incubate for 6 months before showing any symptoms so a vendor might genuinely not know if a snake is carrying the virus. the fact that it's airborn makes it a lot more difficult to prevent cross-contamination, and like Kaz said it can be passed on by your clothing too.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Scarier than it taking 6 months to show in Columbrids and pythons, can't it take years to show in boas?

As far as I remember: Some boas can live to adulthood and breed before they show signs of IBD they were born with

That's why boas should have tighter quarantine than other snakes because it can pass to your other snakes well before you even know you've got a problem.

I think that it's still quite rare though

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  09:16:02  Show Profile
Errr...this is probably gonna sound a bit stupid, but what is IBD? should i be worried?
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  15:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
IBD is sometimes referred to as 'snake aids' but I don't think that's a very appropriate name for it really. Do a search for IBD on You Tube and you'll get loads of videos of snakes 'star-gazing' which is one of the major symptoms. I think it's a disease of the nervous system, but I'm sure GP and BE can give you more detailed info about it than I can.

As for worrying about it: not really in your case- it is rare, escpecially in corns. Only worry if you have a quick turn around of snakes that include a lot of boas and pythons and you've got bad hygiene. Quarentining is important too and be careful when taking snakes to shows.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  15:49:20  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

IBD is sometimes referred to as 'snake aids' but I don't think that's a very appropriate name for it really. Do a search for IBD on You Tube and you'll get loads of videos of snakes 'star-gazing' which is one of the major symptoms. I think it's a disease of the nervous system, but I'm sure GP and BE can give you more detailed info about it than I can.

As for worrying about it: not really in your case- it is rare, escpecially in corns. Only worry if you have a quick turn around of snakes that include a lot of boas and pythons and you've got bad hygiene. Quarentining is important too and be careful when taking snakes to shows.

Been doing a bit of digging around. It's caused by inclusion bodies within the snakes individual cells. Causes organ failure, neural degeneration, etc. The list is endless really.

While searching I did find a human condition caused by similar inclusion bodies, the name of which made me laugh. It's called DLB. (Sorry Lewy )

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  16:00:05  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
No worries, It's the only thing stopping me getting to the top of the search engines for the word lewy - could have called it something else.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000