Amount of food
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  14:51:06  Show Profile
I bought my boyfriend, Adam, and 7 month old corn snake last month and he's very healthy and active. We've named him Strike for his striking colors. We've been feeding him 1 pinkie mouse (dead) every Thursday. However, when I went into the pet store where I bought him, his breeder asked me how he was doing and informed me that he was feeding Strike 2 pinkie mice every week. So I took his advice and upped his feeding to 2 mice last week. Now, he's not as active, before he was everywhere, all over the cage, including up on the ledge near the lid. Now he stays in his cave. He's not as active when we pick him up either, he's alert, but I can tell there's just something wrong. Did I feed him too much? He didn't regurgitate either mouse. Should I go back to 1 pinkie mouse?

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  15:07:56  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
depending on his size, at 7 months he should be on fluffs at least

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  15:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Just feed what you feel is right. If he seemed happier on one then stick with one. He'll not starve.

Maybe do what Saddleninja says and up his dinner to 1 fluff rather than 2 pinkies.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  15:59:34  Show Profile
Perhaps when he was active before he was looking for more food and now he`s had enough he needs to go and digest his meal in peace. Not sure just guessing.
When mine was his age i`d just moved him onto 1 fluff.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  19:37:27  Show Profile
Mine is 5 months and on 2 pinkies so i doubt you are over=feeding him. I agree with Jon, he is probably not as active as he is well fed now. I know I am less active when well fed :)

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

538 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  21:57:14  Show Profile
My Harry is 7 months and he is on fluffy`s, refer to feeding guide . Is there a bulge once he has eaten ? harry was eating 2 pinky`s with no bulge so had to move up, he doesnt seem any less active, still as nosey as ever.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  22:04:23  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Angelina is around 7 months and on fluffs aswell, like antilagman she had a big bulge after eating and will go hide to digest where as before she was scoffing 2-3 pinkies no trouble and with no bulge! like everyone else has said id leave it to your instinct

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  01:04:39  Show Profile
Strike had a bulge with the 1 pinkie, but it didn't last as long as the 2 did, obviously. The bulge went down considerably but he's still not as active as he was when we first got him. Strike is our first corn, we had a rat snake last year, but lost him due to bad advice and inexperience. However, we learned and are pleased to see Strike doing so well. Well, I bought 8 frozen pinkies...will he be ok on them until we run out or should I go out and get fluffs now? I thaw them out in the early afternoon and feed him early evening when they are room temp. What are fluffs? Are they frozen? Not to change the subject or anything but I picked him up about an hour ago and saw that his eyes are a milky blue...is that bad?
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
fluffs are just one step up from pinkies, they are abit bigger and have abit of hair, hence the name! Id leave strike on pinkies til you run out, doesnt make much sense wasting the mice you already have!

As for the blue eye, sounds like he due a shed. are his colours duller or a blue silvery tint? corns colours fade and get blue eye just before they are due a shed so the eyes should clear up in a day or two. he will start to shed afew days after that.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  14:13:37  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
yes they do go a bit quite when their due to shed

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  21:34:31  Show Profile
Strike shed a few days after I posted that. He did it in one long strand, not bits and pieces. Which is good right? Anyway, we went and bought fluffs, but Strike couldn't get his mouth around them. I thought that the food you fed them should only be twice around as the snake is. The fluff that we bought, from the same store we adopted him from, was about 3-4 times the size Strike is. So we put 2 more pinkie mice in and he ate those very quickly. He's very thin, about as round as my pinky finger and approx. 15 inches long.

~Jaci

*1 corn: Strike
*7 hermit crabs: Lemi, Wendy, Bebe, Ike, Zeus, Craig, Apollo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  10:49:39  Show Profile
If that was the size of the mouse i dont think it was a fluff because the fluffs i buy are about the same thickness as my pinky finger. Try changing your supplier or ask if you can choose your own and select a smaller size mouse.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  22:19:05  Show Profile
The fluff that we got looked like a mature mouse. It was about the size of my thumb and index finger put together. I will go to a corporate company and look at size before purchasing. thanks!

~Jaci

*1 corn: Strike
*7 hermit crabs: Lemi, Wendy, Bebe, Ike, Zeus, Craig, Apollo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  14:48:51  Show Profile
he was probs just exploring his new habitat but now he will have settled in
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  16:08:32  Show Profile
that does sound big for a fluff. i got chester last september and he is now about 9 months old. he is on fluffs/fuzzys. usally 1 a week and has no probs. wen i go to my supplier he always asks if the size of the fluff/fuzzy is ok because they do range in size. so ask to see one and if you think its to big just ask for slightly smaller. they normally have loads and loads in a freezer draw so they will just have a rummage.

just my oppinion as i am very new to keeping corns this myself.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  21:05:21  Show Profile
Dose the orignel post say you bought your boyfriend a month ago??and is it him or the snake that is very active?? I am just curious as i think your boyfriend needs more than a bit of fluff to keep him active.but your corn should be happy with a pinkie.:}

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  13:05:52  Show Profile
lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page