Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  21:59:22  Show Profile
I didnt really know where to put this and dunno if it's been asked before but i thought i'd put it here lol, but i was just wondering why a vast majority of people don't like snakes? I've been telling everyone i know about my baby corn as im dead happy , but so many people have said that they dont like them / or scared of them. Is it just like a general lack of knowledge / being around snakes that causes so many people to take a dislike to them? I know a few people that once they have finally got near a snake have realised that theyre not slimy and evil!
One of my mates said they look evil & their eyes look blank and cold
I think they're wonderful & dont really see whats not to like!
Sorry for the rant lol.
Any opinions?

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  22:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
They aren't very common and people are scared of anything out of the normal.

I have been taking my Corn in to my son's school and all the children are happy holding him as they haven't learnt to be scared yet.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  22:17:00  Show Profile
Kids always take a liking to snakes. Like BE said, they havent learnt to be scared yet. Im tired of trying to convert people into liking snake, its too much work

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  22:45:20  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

They aren't very common and people are scared of anything out of the normal.

I have been taking my Corn in to my son's school and all the children are happy holding him as they haven't learnt to be scared yet.

Totally agree. I do a similar thing with my bugs. Don't think I'll try it with Matilda just yet though.

My wife isn't too keen on them. She says it's the way their head follows you around. That and that they don't blink. the conclusion that I've come to is that she's just weird.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  22:55:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by xaimzx

they look evil & their eyes look blank and cold

Thats why I like 'em!

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Edited by - Mancunian on 02/12/2008 22:58:17
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:19:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I guess its because they're far from human-like. Its been found that people tend to like animals with features they can relate to like eyes, ears, mouth and nose and animals that can show expressions.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:22:24  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

I guess its because they're far from human-like. Its been found that people tend to like animals with features they can relate to like eyes, ears, mouth and nose and animals that can show expressions.

Is that why I don't get on with my mother-in-law then?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  16:32:31  Show Profile
one ov my freind was terrifide of snake but thenhe held my corn and now hes begging his mum for one he said he was expecting it to by slimey and gross

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  20:22:44  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

quote:
Originally posted by Ell

Is that why I don't get on with my mother-in-law then?

That made me laugh xD
My mother is scared of snakes...she honestly thinks they're evil and that it'll eat me...I'm not kidding...but then again, my mothers strange and religious and takes the story of adam and eve and the apple a weee bit too seriously, lol ^^;
My little sister who's 5 loves snakes though..

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  23:39:06  Show Profile
For most people it is an irrational fear. I am absolutely petrified of spiders, and no matter how many times I tell myself that I can do far more harm to them than they can to me, I am still unable to get over this fear.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:32:08  Show Profile
my dad was saying thay on bbc news in the morning last week, they had a guy and a snake in and he was saying how popoular reps were becoming as pets...

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:52:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

For most people it is an irrational fear. I am absolutely petrified of spiders, and no matter how many times I tell myself that I can do far more harm to them than they can to me, I am still unable to get over this fear.

People are afraid of snakes coz they're stoooopid. People are afraid of spiders because thay are evil 8 legged freakes with secret plans to take over the world. There is nothing wrong with disliking the little ******s. And yes i do make my 7 year old daughter get rid of them for me ever since i hoovered one up and then he was running round the indise of the dyson laughting at me!

On a more serious note it's each to their own i guess, everyone has something the dont like for some people it's snakes. It's great fun at halloween when i open the door to trick or treaters wi8th a snake in my hand though

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:43:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

my dad was saying thay on bbc news in the morning last week, they had a guy and a snake in and he was saying how popoular reps were becoming as pets...

It is true. I read in the newspaper last week how reptiles are now more common than dogs as pets here in the UK. Here's a link to it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/3500882/Reptiles-now-more-popular-pets-than-dogs.html

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Edited by - Mancunian on 04/12/2008 14:43:39
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  16:29:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

quote:
Originally posted by dazb

It is true. I read in the newspaper last week how reptiles are now more common than dogs as pets here in the UK. Here's a link to it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/3500882/Reptiles-now-more-popular-pets-than-dogs.html

But people normally only have the 1 dog, we cram in as many reptiles as we can

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  11:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
From what i've spoken to people who either weren't keen on snakes, and/or had never touched one before i think Cornsnakejames has hit it on the head.

How many people does everyone know that have never touched a snake, but then touched yours and then you've heard the line: 'I thought it was going to be slimy.'

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  12:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
haha thats soooo right! People says to me that snakes are slimey and i must not be able to handle them because of the slim!! Everyone who has met Angelina loves her and questions themselves after realising that shes really smooth and nice to handle. I suppose it shows peoples ignorance to new things and just assume things because others do

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  14:34:59  Show Profile
i thinks its because they r so shiney they look slimy. gump certainly looks slimy even though hes perfectly clean. the girl we got him off was actually scared of him. she'd had him for 11 years!!

1.0.0 corn- Gump
1.0.0 crested gecko- Kitoto
6.10.15 guppies :S
0.0.12 tropical fish
1.0.0 bf- david hehe
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  20:32:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Moomin

the girl we got him off was actually scared of him. she'd had him for 11 years!!

now that IS weird!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  22:49:59  Show Profile
lol i no! she never handled him poor guy. in shock now he gets to go out n play

1.0.0 corn- Gump
1.0.0 crested gecko- Kitoto
6.10.15 guppies :S
0.0.12 tropical fish
1.0.0 bf- david hehe
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  09:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
That's exactly the same situation as Trilby. She was never handled because the girl who had her was scared of her. Now she doesn't know what's happening now she's handled a lot.

I don't think the cold, expressionless eyes is a factor, because I don't like horses for that reason. Snakes just look gormless, and stupid looking is an expression

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:46:32  Show Profile
i think that ppl r scared of snakes because its the unknown... they dont know how they feel... what direction they are goin 2 move in.. and what they are thinkin.. as they cant really show expressions etc like dogs can... n yeh i agree.. everybody does seem 2 say.. 'oh my god...is it slimy?' and when you tell them thats theyre not.. they cant resist 2 touch them.. and then they are alot more at ease.. so i think it is kinda lack of knowledge.. .and probably wen they were little.. the general things that were 'scary' are spiders, rats and snakes.. u see it in books, dvds etc they get portrayed as being really creepy etc... (ok so spiders are haha) but snakes and rats are really really cute! but i do think that children should b introduced 2 these animals from a young age so they dont grow up with a fear of them.. my little sis is 5 and she loves Twiglet!

oh my goddddd! what a rant ive just had! haha :)

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000