A boyfriend for Trilby!?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  21:21:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Sunday night I rehomed a 15yo male Carolina corn called Oscar. He's about 5'6" - 6' long and weighs in at a mahooosive 1340g

to cut a long story short he was being cared for by a non-snakey person who had done her best but realized she couldn't really cope.
room temperature, on pine (yes, pine!) shavings, tiny water bowl, no hides but a lovely piece of wood (that she let me take with him )
she said he often hisses at her while she holds him but to me he appears to have a chronic RI - probably down to the low temps and pine hamster bedding - looks like he'll be finishing this bottle of Baytril! he also had several layers of un-shed skin stuck to his neck and tail tip. contrary to the advice i usually give recommending not handling your new snake for a week, I was so concerned about this stuck shed, particularly his tail which he could have lost, he had a bath this afternoon and a good rub down with a towel which seems to have solved the problem

here's a few pics:

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 23/12/2008 21:22:29

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  22:11:41  Show Profile
Shame about the poor owner.

The snake is a tank, and the shed left on the tail looks nasty. It looks like its already lost a bit of the tip of the tail because it gets thin so fast.

People that dont know what they're doing should look to rehome alot faster than they do...grrrr...

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  22:13:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No pics of the wood?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  22:29:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sorry BE, I'll oblige with a pic when he's had a bit longer to settle in

I was really quite worried about his tail, especially as i didn't know how long it had been like that (and neither did the previous owner). although the shed skin has been removed now his tail is still a bit 'kinky' and not very mobile like he's lost any feeling in it - probably down to this being a recurring problem.

will get some more pics when he's had time to settle although he was good to deal with today despite being in a strange environment and being handled by a strange person.

the previous owner had tried to rehome him through the RSPCA but they weren't interested, then she found this bloke's website and he posted the ad on the dark side, which is where i saw it.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  22:35:10  Show Profile
You mean...that.....in a way...the dark side can help people?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  22:41:17  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Good on you GP,another snake in safe hands again

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  09:06:25  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Nice one Ali. Good to see that he's gonna get all the TLC he needs now . Looks to be about the same size as Matilda. Has he got the same nervous temperament?

We could be starting a trend here of rescuing adult corns from the ignorant . Little cute baby snake + time = large adult snake. What's so difficult to understand. Some people just drive me mad ! Would these people buy a foal and then try to rehome it because it grew up into a horse !

p.s. Sorry for the mini rant.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 24/12/2008 09:09:53
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  12:50:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
He seems quite a chilled out lad, despite not being handled for 4 months, bless him

Apparently it was her ex-boyfriend's snake, he'd had it since a CB93 hatchling, then when they split up and he moved out he left the snake. i think she said that was a year ago. she's done the best she could by him but realised she didn't know enough and wasn't really that into them anyway. I blame the boyf as he should have taken it and continued to care for it regardless of his relationship status.
my mini rant over!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  14:52:44  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Totally agree with you GP. What a *$@# !!!!

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  16:00:43  Show Profile
Our amel had 5 layers of skin on the last inch of her tail when we got her, i soaked it off and when she shed she lost about 5mm off the end but it's absolutly fine now. You don't notice unless your really looking for it. Goos luck with the new snake.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  18:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Daww glad he has a great home now!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  21:35:12  Show Profile
Lucky snake, and very well done GP!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  13:12:08  Show Profile
He looks great. Hope he settles in well.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  20:39:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
thanks for all your kind comments everyone

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Whoo ooh! a boyfriend for Trilby. They sound like they were meant to be together. Get him sorted and we'll have to get them together.

Lots of snakes are being rehomed at the moment. We've been offered another one too

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I told Trilby this morning that she was now betrothed!

She's really excited. It's her first boyfriend!

Young love eh?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  18:00:19  Show Profile
i have just rehomed a new corn, the local reptile shop owner has recently opened a new shop not far away,but since then there has been more nd more snakes apearing at the back of the shop that had 'got out', and people were complaining so we kept 1, the shop owner knows we have it and was told if he wanted it he could come and get it, we havent heard from him about her yet, i get so angry aboout people like that. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :P
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  18:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Was it free?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: