New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  11:19:01  Show Profile
I have 2 Corn Snakes of the same age (15 & 17 months) but they vary significantly in weight. They are both well and eat with no problem.

Jasper was 5-6 months when I got him (born September 2007) and weighs 158g. He mostly sleeps. He is eating small mice (one every 7-8 days).

Chico was 14 months when I got her (born July 2007) and weighs just 74g! She is very active, often on the move in her viv. She is eating large fluffs/ crawlers (1-2 every 5 -6 days).

As they are both well I am not unduly concerned but just wanted to ask if such a weight difference in similar-aged Corn snakes was "normal"? Can I put the difference down to their activity levels? Or is it a gender-related issue?

If you have Corn snakes of a similar age I would be interested to know what they weigh.

Thanks.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  11:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle is November '07 and 181g.

They're all different I guess.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  15:18:40  Show Profile
chester is a sep 07 and was 156g on 6th Nov...

not sure if sex has anything to do with it...74g seems very small to me.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  15:53:58  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

I have 2 Corn Snakes of the same age (15 & 17 months) but they vary significantly in weight. They are both well and eat with no problem.

Jasper was 5-6 months when I got him (born September 2007) and weighs 158g. He mostly sleeps. He is eating small mice (one every 7-8 days).

Chico was 14 months when I got her (born July 2007) and weighs just 74g! She is very active, often on the move in her viv. She is eating large fluffs/ crawlers (1-2 every 5 -6 days).

As they are both well I am not unduly concerned but just wanted to ask if such a weight difference in similar-aged Corn snakes was "normal"? Can I put the difference down to their activity levels? Or is it a gender-related issue?

If you have Corn snakes of a similar age I would be interested to know what they weigh.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's nature just proving that us biologists don't know everything. They're like people in that way. All different shapes and sizes. I got told at the hospital the other day that I'm borderline obese! lofl.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  16:58:00  Show Profile
Size isnt very dependant on age in corns, its probably their own growing rate

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly