New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:04:18  Show Profile
Hi! 2 weeks ago I purchased my first corn snake, a ghost! I think its a she? I know she was feed two weeks ago because I saw the lump in her stomach in the pet shop when I chose her. Since then she has not even been remotley interested in food. She shed her skin last night and was really active in her viv all night. When is a good time to try and feed her again? I'm really worried because she has not eaten in nearly 2 weeks?

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:21:53  Show Profile
first of all don't panic, its a learning curve. you can feed her now that she has shed.
a couple of things i have found useful.
1, one of my hatchlings likes her pinkies quite hot, and wont touch them at anything like luke warm, remember they cool down quite fast so if they start out warm, if they are not taken almost immediatley they soon become cold and she looses interest.
2, Braining (cutting the skull of the pinkie and squeeze some brain matter) along with the raised temp this transformed my finiky eater, she now eats well and i have stopped worrying.
i also feed outside the viv in a small container so that there is less distraction for them both, helps focus the mind. i use cricket boxes (the boxes that crickets are sold in) as they already have air slots in them.
hope this helps.

Edited by - n/a on 17/10/2008 14:23:00
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Also, as you've not long got her, she's only just settled in as well, and that can put them off food.

Roughly how long is she? and how big is the Viv?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:30:51  Show Profile
Thanks for all your advice.

She is only 6 weeks old and just under a foot long. She is in an 18 inch x 18inch viv. I was recommended a small one when she is young as a larger one may make her nervious.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  14:59:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
18"x18" is still huge for a hatchling corn, are you able to put a divider in some how to give her a more enclosed space so she feels more secure? 2 weeks isn't a long time to go without a feed and as sunny and Kehhlyr said she's just settling in, she might be more inclined to feed now that she's shed. keep us posted as there's lots more ideas we can throw at you!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  16:40:26  Show Profile
Cool, thanks! I will try to see if I can divide the viv up into two sections. She seemed pretty settled last night, spent ages exploring the viv and climbing the sides. I will try another pinky over the weekend and see what happens!

Thanks again for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  20:56:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
keep us posted casper

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:44:11  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
keep trying to offer food, and see how she goes, she should be fine to not eat for another 2 weeks at least

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  13:29:19  Show Profile
Great news!
Last night I took the little platic tub I use to keep her in while I clean her viv out etc and covered the sides in paper so see could not see out. I then put her in it, placed it in her viv, put the pinky inside with her and popped the lid on. I left her in the dark for about 40 mins then returned to check and the pinky was gone. I think I will stick to this method for the next few feedings.
Thank you again for all your advise.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  15:26:38  Show Profile
Yay! Glad it worked out so quickly

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  20:10:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
great news, well done casper (person) and Casper (snake)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  14:41:32  Show Profile
Great news :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: