Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
When Birch laid the other week I left her settled for 12 hours then quietly picked her up, carefully removed the eggs (some were stuck together so I picked them up in clumps) then put her back in the nest box. That way I got the eggs into the incubator/propagator before they dried out and it gave me a chance to quickly check Birch over. Not sure if that was exactly the right thing to do but it seemed a good idea, maybe ignorance is bliss! I've left the eggs that were stuck together as I found them as the 'shell' is relatively soft and could tear if I tried to separate them.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
When Birch laid the other week I left her settled for 12 hours then quietly picked her up, carefully removed the eggs (some were stuck together so I picked them up in clumps) then put her back in the nest box. That way I got the eggs into the incubator/propagator before they dried out and it gave me a chance to quickly check Birch over. Not sure if that was exactly the right thing to do but it seemed a good idea, maybe ignorance is bliss! I've left the eggs that were stuck together as I found them as the 'shell' is relatively soft and could tear if I tried to separate them.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:28:33  Show Profile
wow eggs are looking great, i always take the eggs as soon as im sue she has finished laying and get them in the incubator, just pick her up she will nudge and may strike but more than likly just hiss abit place her in a tub so you can deal with the eggs. if any are lose you should mark the tops with a pencil so if they roll whilst removeing them you can be sure you place them the right way up in the incubator.

once eggs are delt with i remove the nesting box so there is no smell of the eggs in her viv, you might want to give her a wipe down with a damp cloth but i have found that not always to be necessary. run you fingers down her tummy to make sure there are no bumps left, check her tummy again in about 3 days just to be sure. them put her back and let her rest, tomorrow offer her a mouse smaller than normal so she has something in her before her post lay shed, but dont panic if she doesnt eat as soon as she sheds she will be more than willing

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:28:33  Show Profile
wow eggs are looking great, i always take the eggs as soon as im sue she has finished laying and get them in the incubator, just pick her up she will nudge and may strike but more than likly just hiss abit place her in a tub so you can deal with the eggs. if any are lose you should mark the tops with a pencil so if they roll whilst removeing them you can be sure you place them the right way up in the incubator.

once eggs are delt with i remove the nesting box so there is no smell of the eggs in her viv, you might want to give her a wipe down with a damp cloth but i have found that not always to be necessary. run you fingers down her tummy to make sure there are no bumps left, check her tummy again in about 3 days just to be sure. them put her back and let her rest, tomorrow offer her a mouse smaller than normal so she has something in her before her post lay shed, but dont panic if she doesnt eat as soon as she sheds she will be more than willing

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm fine with the aftercare in regards to the eggs and stuff, I've had it before, but it was the fact that the eggs had clumped together really badly, and in a big pile.
Also the last time she laid them, nearly as soon as she was done, she left the nest box and was hunting.
I lifted her gently out of the nest box earlier, she didn't even bother about me, no hisses or anything.
When I went to put the eggs into the incubator, which I've been checking everyday for the past week, I found it had stopped working!!!
The bloody thing was fine last night as i checked it again when she started laying, but at about 1pm this afternoon, when i went to move the eggs, it has stopped working, there is no heat!

What i've had to do for now is get a seedling propagator from in the shed, and put that on the heat mat in the viv, it's the best i can do at short notice.

I've just checked heat and humidity in propagator, it's running at 28c with about 92% humidity, humidity is good, temp is a bit low though, should be akay, until I can get another heater for the incubator.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/04/2008 17:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm fine with the aftercare in regards to the eggs and stuff, I've had it before, but it was the fact that the eggs had clumped together really badly, and in a big pile.
Also the last time she laid them, nearly as soon as she was done, she left the nest box and was hunting.
I lifted her gently out of the nest box earlier, she didn't even bother about me, no hisses or anything.
When I went to put the eggs into the incubator, which I've been checking everyday for the past week, I found it had stopped working!!!
The bloody thing was fine last night as i checked it again when she started laying, but at about 1pm this afternoon, when i went to move the eggs, it has stopped working, there is no heat!

What i've had to do for now is get a seedling propagator from in the shed, and put that on the heat mat in the viv, it's the best i can do at short notice.

I've just checked heat and humidity in propagator, it's running at 28c with about 92% humidity, humidity is good, temp is a bit low though, should be akay, until I can get another heater for the incubator.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/04/2008 17:54:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:53:19  Show Profile
it doesent matter that they are stuck in a clump they will still incubate fine as long as temps and humidity r fine. hope you get your incubator sorted soon that happened to us this year with a cluth of 22 coastals/jag eggs but we manage to rise temps inside with another heat mat.

Edited by - n/a on 20/04/2008 18:26:10
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:53:19  Show Profile
it doesent matter that they are stuck in a clump they will still incubate fine as long as temps and humidity r fine. hope you get your incubator sorted soon that happened to us this year with a cluth of 22 coastals/jag eggs but we manage to rise temps inside with another heat mat.

Edited by - n/a on 20/04/2008 18:26:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000