really useful boxes??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  11:26:30  Show Profile

i have a candy corn that is now just over a year old and i have just bought an 18litre really useful box cos i didn't want to get a large viv just yet,
the problem i have is that where the lid goes over the edge there is a gap probably about 5/6 mm, then the lid bends down and this gap decreases to about 2mm.
i know Nilla can't get out thro the 2mm bit but he keeps flattening his head and poking it into the 5mm bit, i'm worried that he'll get stuck.

Am i worrying over nothing ?? or do snake have the tendency to get there heads stuck places ?? - or will he learn that he can't get out and stop doing it??

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As he gets bigger he'll not be able to get in there, I doubt he'll get stuck.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:07:07  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
we had the same problem with our RUB i just seeled the long edges (cus thats were our problem was) with a folded sheet of paper and tape. i just didnt want to run the risk of revels getting stuck.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:16:35  Show Profile
You need to be very careful using tape. Snakes can get stuck to adhesive tape and getting them off can be difficult, stressful and damage the scales.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  14:20:21  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
no tape is any were the snake can get i made sure of that

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  16:01:26  Show Profile
thanks for the idea with the paper!!
i'll look into that one !!
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  16:46:44  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
you could also try filing the space up in the lid using clear silicone, just fill it up and leave for 24hours to fully dry.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  20:50:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I use RUBs for Queenie and Marilyn, I've been reluctant to use them for corns for this very reason but there's some good solutions

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I stuff awkward gaps with cotton wool lol

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:32:04  Show Profile
snakes can have a habbit of getting them selfs stuck if theres somewere for them to do so, ive never known one yet to get permently stuck in a really useful box. not because of the box anyway i once put a sandboa in a box with air holes that was (in hind site)i touch on the large side. the holes were in the lid and i pulled the tub out to find the sandboa with its head out the hole and nothing else, it was well and turly suck it had to be cut out in the end. snake was well and not two phased as it eat its next feed.
i also avoid tape and snakes where possible it only takes one little edge (and sods law the snake will probs find it before you do)for a whole lot of trouble to follow. heat or moister (or both) can easierly losen an edge.

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  13:20:24  Show Profile
i made sure the holes i drilled were quite small, the same sort of size as the ones on the smaller box that i'd had, so i knew he wouldn't get out of them, but didn't see the gap in the lid etc.

i'll just keep feeding him and he'll soon grow and won't be able to fit his head in the gap !!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000