Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  12:07:22  Show Profile
Ok, so I haven't obtained my snakey yet, and I have a RUB that is bigger than this just in case I end up picking up something alot bigger than anticipated on Saturday, but this is my setup for (hopefully) a hatchling corn! I've covered three of the sides of the perfecto since taking this picture, but just wanted some opinions.

The heat mat and stat probe are under the big hide which partially covers the mat - I have a thermometer to put on the substrate too and have adjusted the thermostat to rest nicely at 30*C which took more fiddling that I expected . I know its a bit boring looking at the moment but I wanted to keep things relatively simple until I got used to and got to know the occupant and could customize :) The stat wire comes out the vent on the right hand side - There is a weeny pea sized hole; would I need to cover this up to prefent escapes? Could a hatchling get through something that size? I can post more pics later if it will help :)

Any advice appreciated, thankies :D

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Nice Hatchling setup!

I would try an cover any holes no matter how small - Jalospeade got out of a viv with the lid on with no sign of a hole at all - How I don't know... teleporting snake? Try and cover the hole with something non sticky as anything sticky could damage your new snakes scales.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Nice Hatchling setup!

I would try an cover any holes no matter how small - Jalospeade got out of a viv with the lid on with no sign of a hole at all - How I don't know... teleporting snake? Try and cover the hole with something non sticky as anything sticky could damage your new snakes scales.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
what a lucky snake to get that set up! looks great SS but like Lewy said beware of ANY gaps no matter how small - Birch my 4ft adult managed to get out of a gap the width of a piece of electrical flex so it's not just hatchlings you have to be careful with!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
what a lucky snake to get that set up! looks great SS but like Lewy said beware of ANY gaps no matter how small - Birch my 4ft adult managed to get out of a gap the width of a piece of electrical flex so it's not just hatchlings you have to be careful with!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:47:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ohmygod!!! Squeezy little fellas aren't they! I'l make sure the gap is well sealed with something non sticky, thanks for the advice

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:47:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ohmygod!!! Squeezy little fellas aren't they! I'l make sure the gap is well sealed with something non sticky, thanks for the advice

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:59:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it was my own fault she escaped and TBH i'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner. i hadn't got round to buying another plug for the new heatmat and feeding the flex through and putting the new plug on, i just had the flex coming out of a tiny gap at the enge of the glass sliding doors............. only a few mm wide............. but wide enough!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  13:59:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it was my own fault she escaped and TBH i'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner. i hadn't got round to buying another plug for the new heatmat and feeding the flex through and putting the new plug on, i just had the flex coming out of a tiny gap at the enge of the glass sliding doors............. only a few mm wide............. but wide enough!!!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  15:38:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Why not have the stat probe underneath the tank, then there will be no hole.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  15:38:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Why not have the stat probe underneath the tank, then there will be no hole.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:34:52  Show Profile
Because the temp underneath the tank isn't gonna be quite the same as it is inside, right? I wouldn't want to accidentally cook my new baby Besides, I made the adjustment to the vent already, so it doesn't make much difference as there is a hole to fill regardless

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:34:52  Show Profile
Because the temp underneath the tank isn't gonna be quite the same as it is inside, right? I wouldn't want to accidentally cook my new baby Besides, I made the adjustment to the vent already, so it doesn't make much difference as there is a hole to fill regardless

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:37:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It doesn't matter where you have the probe as long as you check the temperature in the correct place. Adjust the stat until you get the right temp where you want it.

I'd also recommend covering 3 sides of the viv to make it less open.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:37:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It doesn't matter where you have the probe as long as you check the temperature in the correct place. Adjust the stat until you get the right temp where you want it.

I'd also recommend covering 3 sides of the viv to make it less open.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:39:45  Show Profile
That is such a blindingly obvious point that it hadn't occurred to me in the slightest thank you for spelling it out for me (seriously! I'm not kidding!!)

Obviously I took my stupid pills today. And yeah - I have already covered three of the sides Thanks BE

*edit* ooh! I got a new star and hatched! Wicked!

Edited by - n/a on 03/10/2008 17:42:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  17:39:45  Show Profile
That is such a blindingly obvious point that it hadn't occurred to me in the slightest thank you for spelling it out for me (seriously! I'm not kidding!!)

Obviously I took my stupid pills today. And yeah - I have already covered three of the sides Thanks BE

*edit* ooh! I got a new star and hatched! Wicked!

Edited by - n/a on 03/10/2008 17:42:01
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  18:08:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  18:08:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:30:54  Show Profile
Where'd you get the tank? That is one sexy set up!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:30:54  Show Profile
Where'd you get the tank? That is one sexy set up!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000