Supplements
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  22:53:27  Show Profile
Does anybody use supplements when feeding?

I do, because you can not guarantee that the mouse/rat/guinea is loaded with nutrients.
I feel that if the rodent farm breeder has loaded the rodent with proteins to feed up to the size range before selling, the food might not be as nutricious as you would expect and certainly not as if the food item was caught and eaten in the wild.

Just had this chat on msn so it may be familiar to some, but If you feed a mouse on proteins and crap, your snake is being fed on used up proteins andpoopand maybe lacking growth nutrients, not only for its size, but for its skin, eyes, immune system, bones, breeding and internal organs.

How many gut load crickets for other reps?
That cant be done with a defrosted mouse, so is your snake missing out?

Im not saying that all or any rodent farms or shop supplies are not correctly nutricious or actually feed on Crap, but you know what i mean. What is in teh mouses belly ends up in your snakes belly.

I think young snakes should be supplemented especially.

Views?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  08:06:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
See your point, but I don't/haven't. Might think about it with youngsters, but when the snakes are larger obviously the prey we give are larger so there is more likely to be plenty of Ca etc in them.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  08:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I used to when i had young snakes, years ago, but don't with mine now.
That's because i feed mine in some ways like a human (urgh) baby. Give it extra nutrients when baby and growing.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  13:53:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
supplements are a huge business in the equine world, but i don't buy into it at all, unless you're using a specific supplement for a specific (known) problem.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  08:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We have dusted a few of Nagini's chicks with calcium when that was her only food source- now she's back on mice we won't bother because she get all the calcium she needs from them.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  10:09:26  Show Profile
I do not use dietary supplements for either myself or my snakes!

I do see a place for them if there is an identified problem, but otherwise I think they are at best pointless and at worst a potential cause of harm. A healthy balanced diet is all any animal needs. As to whether pre-killed rodents offer that is something I am unable to answer. I suspect they are no worse than all the intensively farmed meat humans eat these days.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  08:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
only used calci after laying

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page