Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  13:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
What substrate do you use Kehhlyr?

Ours (Gretta and Mart) were on compost, but they needed fresh every 3 days otherwise they stunk rancid

We would've kept Gretta and Mart, but they had that many kids we couldn't keep up with the freezing.

Hope you like yours EmmaApple

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  13:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
What substrate do you use Kehhlyr?

Ours (Gretta and Mart) were on compost, but they needed fresh every 3 days otherwise they stunk rancid

We would've kept Gretta and Mart, but they had that many kids we couldn't keep up with the freezing.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  13:48:03  Show Profile
Is it just me? I REALLY can not see any appeal in keeping snails!

I think I tried it once when I was 4 but even then I lost interest in an afternoon.

However, they do look prettier than a Hognose

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  13:48:03  Show Profile
Is it just me? I REALLY can not see any appeal in keeping snails!

I think I tried it once when I was 4 but even then I lost interest in an afternoon.

However, they do look prettier than a Hognose

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  14:09:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol - agreed.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  14:09:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol - agreed.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  00:20:45  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Aaaah i missed this thread.
If they havent gone into the freezer yet, id love to take some off you.
I can pay for the postage.
Let me know :)

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  00:20:45  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Aaaah i missed this thread.
If they havent gone into the freezer yet, id love to take some off you.
I can pay for the postage.
Let me know :)

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  22:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I was gonna freeze the rest of them tomorrow, after posting a couple to EmmaApple.
How many do you want BlueTongue?
I've got about 250-300 destined for the freezer, someone was supposed to be having them, but let me down AFTER they hatched. I was not happy.
Where are you in this lovely country of ours?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  22:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I was gonna freeze the rest of them tomorrow, after posting a couple to EmmaApple.
How many do you want BlueTongue?
I've got about 250-300 destined for the freezer, someone was supposed to be having them, but let me down AFTER they hatched. I was not happy.
Where are you in this lovely country of ours?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  22:50:36  Show Profile
hi, about the snails. i work in a nursery n recon they'd b great pets, as the kids r obsessed wiv the garden snails, thats my fault. but what do u keep them in n i have seen how big they grow, how much room do they need. n do they jus eat lettice, cucumber etc. Dont worry if u put them in freezer, they sell them down road from me but the trhought never occcured before. |If u wouldnt mind n u got time can u please tell me bit about carin 4 them, thanx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  22:50:36  Show Profile
hi, about the snails. i work in a nursery n recon they'd b great pets, as the kids r obsessed wiv the garden snails, thats my fault. but what do u keep them in n i have seen how big they grow, how much room do they need. n do they jus eat lettice, cucumber etc. Dont worry if u put them in freezer, they sell them down road from me but the trhought never occcured before. |If u wouldnt mind n u got time can u please tell me bit about carin 4 them, thanx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  10:01:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Its my christmas presents sorted for all my brothers and sisters

My mum might not be too happy, but they will LOVE them!

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer

Edited by - n/a on 22/09/2008 10:02:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  10:01:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Its my christmas presents sorted for all my brothers and sisters

My mum might not be too happy, but they will LOVE them!

0.0.1 GALS

Edited by - n/a on 22/09/2008 10:02:15
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  12:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Caring for them is easy, just give them a nice size tank/rub to live in, with about as much soil/peat in the bottom as the height of their shells and they're happy.
Obviously they need a lid, otherwise escapes can happen, although not as fast as a snake.
I'll put some piccys up later of mine with the babies and something else, so you an get a size guide, but the shells on mine are approx 4-5 inches at the moment.
In regards to first keeping them, i'll be posting them out in small plastic tubs.
When you get them, they're only about the size of a garden pea at the moment, i kept mine in an empty coffee jar until they were about the size of a marble. the moved them into a plastic goldfish tank (£10, Argos).
I change their peat about every 7-10 days. Give them some lettuce and cucumber whenever they eat it all. Mine are currently eating an entire lettuce and cucumber about once a week.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  12:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Caring for them is easy, just give them a nice size tank/rub to live in, with about as much soil/peat in the bottom as the height of their shells and they're happy.
Obviously they need a lid, otherwise escapes can happen, although not as fast as a snake.
I'll put some piccys up later of mine with the babies and something else, so you an get a size guide, but the shells on mine are approx 4-5 inches at the moment.
In regards to first keeping them, i'll be posting them out in small plastic tubs.
When you get them, they're only about the size of a garden pea at the moment, i kept mine in an empty coffee jar until they were about the size of a marble. the moved them into a plastic goldfish tank (£10, Argos).
I change their peat about every 7-10 days. Give them some lettuce and cucumber whenever they eat it all. Mine are currently eating an entire lettuce and cucumber about once a week.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  14:13:01  Show Profile
Kehhlyr would you like some money for postage?

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  14:13:01  Show Profile
Kehhlyr would you like some money for postage?

0.0.1 GALS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  14:56:46  Show Profile
Wow, so pretty simple really. Do they grow quick. thanx 4 gettin bk to me

Go to Top of Page