My corn snake thinks it's a rattler :P
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  11:07:16  Show Profile
My new corn snake hatchling is feeding well and active....but when i try to pick him up of slip my hand into his viv he hisses and his lil tail sticks straight up and starts rattling like a rattle snake.
Anyone else had this with a new corn ?
I've only had him a few days so hopefully he'll settle down and allow me to handle him, i dont think he's shedding so hopefully he's just a lil scared and with time will become more friendly and chilled ...

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  11:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
this can be quite common with young corns, my cecil did it (he's 11 months now) and my new baby does it too when I change her water.
Just leave him for about a week to settle in and only go in his viv. to change the water
also do not try to handle him for 24-48 hours after a feed as he may regurg his food and this would only add to the stress of moving

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!

Edited by - cumbrian eejit on 17/09/2008 11:18:29
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  12:36:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, as CE says its not unusual, its just a sign of nerves which will go as it gets used to you.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  13:27:55  Show Profile
aww thats dar cute >.<
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  13:37:08  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hes just trying to warn you off and show that hes hard

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  13:39:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Spruce my adult snow did it once when i startled him in the viv. I just gave him some time to wake up and chill before picking him up and he was fine

i think hatchlings are so funny when they rattle though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  13:40:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by saddleninja

hes just trying to warn you off and show that hes hard

pretending he's a Burm, lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  15:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Kelloggs has rattled at me a few times, although mostly during feeding time, so it's my fault really.
He tends to hiss and rattle while feeding if you go near him, just letting me know it's his food, not mine.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  15:57:47  Show Profile
Thanx for all the help and advice guys..RESPECT

It's my 1st snake so i won't let him know when he hisses n rattles at me it scares the c@@p outta me lmao, i think im more nervous than him but we'll get used to each other ..

Thanx again
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  18:40:58  Show Profile
Oh wow.... sorry for ignorance, but do corn snakes rattle like rattlers or just shake their tail like one..??? It will scare my daugher to death if he rattles in the night... bless her socks!!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  18:44:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
They can rattle, but its not very loud and only when they're scared.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000