Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  00:38:58  Show Profile
hi guys, i have a corn snake that a 1 year old female aztec nd iv just started to notice that when she moves her head go's side to side as if she was saying no to something lol its really strange, iv never seen her do it before - i mean obv there bodies side to side to move but never hae i seen a snake do it with the head alone, anyone gt any ideas?

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  10:08:59  Show Profile
Is she flicking her tongue at the same time? Might just be sniffing and on the prowl for food.
New viv? Just exploring?
If she was lying still and rocking like an Albanian id be concerned, but not if shes just exploring.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  12:04:26  Show Profile
Stargazer? Though I think thats from birth *looks for more experienced approval* Did you just get her?

Baby Stargazers do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKNn_cgj1k

Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree with Mark..

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Edited by - n/a on 15/09/2008 12:07:30
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  21:27:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
no it's not stargazing, she's probably just eyeing something up

however if it becomes persistant or considerably more extreme I'd be inclined to think neurological disorder

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  23:17:24  Show Profile
wots stargazer???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  01:55:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

however if it becomes persistant or considerably more extreme I'd be inclined to think neurological disorder

A neurological disorder?? What like a stroke or Parkinsons disease?
can you clarify the diagnosis or synopsis Ginger pony?
That would be interesting.
However, as you say, she might be eyeing something up, is that the same as sniffing on the prowl?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  06:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

wots stargazer???

http://www.anapsid.org/stargaze.html

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  10:15:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mark

quote:

A neurological disorder?? What like a stroke or Parkinsons disease?
can you clarify the diagnosis or synopsis Ginger pony?
That would be interesting.
However, as you say, she might be eyeing something up, is that the same as sniffing on the prowl?

I'm not sure why but you always come across as magnificently sarcastic to me no offense..!
I would presume GP is thinking along the lines of IBD, though as far as I am aware this doesn't affect Corn Snakes and has far wilder symptoms. From what I've gathered from my research into snakes in the past few months people really don't know that much about disorders that can affect them, and neurological ones are the most tricky as they often display similar symptoms to some parasites

I prefer to think she's just peeking at stuff .. that being the same as 'eyeing something up' AND 'sniffing on the prowl'!

EDIT: Typos, Typos everywhere...

Edited by - n/a on 16/09/2008 10:17:07
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  10:30:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

quote:
Originally posted by dazb

wots stargazer???

http://www.anapsid.org/stargaze.html

cheers BE...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  12:17:07  Show Profile
[/quote]
From what I've gathered from my research into snakes in the past few months people really don't know that much about disorders that can affect them, and neurological ones are the most tricky as they often display similar symptoms to some parasites
[/quote]

Siliconescience

No offence taken.
Afterall, this is a forum and the existince of it invites the members to post debatable topics, that generate replies to stimulate and explore the subject.
Its also for sharing information.

Correct me if i am wrong.

I merely stated that it would indeed, 'be interesting' if Gingerpony could elaberate more on how she thought that it may be a neurological disorder.
As you yourself stated, ppl dont know that much about neurological disorders; i for one dont, and the ones that are common to me are the ones i mentioned. It is not uncommon for animals to suffer strokes or suffer the likes or similar human disorders.

However, i will add, if i was a newbie and someone told me that my pet may have a neurological disorder, or considered it, i would be straight to the vet with it and also be worried by it.

There is nothing wrong with asking a person, for the sake of another, and to gain the knowledge myself, to clarify 'how or why'.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort

Edited by - n/a on 16/09/2008 12:17:57
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  12:38:52  Show Profile
quote:

From what I've gathered from my research into snakes in the past few months people really don't know that much about disorders that can affect them, and neurological ones are the most tricky as they often display similar symptoms to some parasites

Siliconescience

No offence taken.
Afterall, this is a forum and the existince of it invites the members to post debatable topics, that generate replies to stimulate and explore the subject.
Its also for sharing information.

Correct me if i am wrong.

I merely stated that it would indeed, 'be interesting' if Gingerpony could elaberate more on how she thought that it may be a neurological disorder.
As you yourself stated, ppl dont know that much about neurological disorders; i for one dont, and the ones that are common to me are the ones i mentioned. It is not uncommon for animals to suffer strokes or suffer the likes or similar human disorders.

However, i will add, if i was a newbie and someone told me that my pet may have a neurological disorder, or considered it, i would be straight to the vet with it and also be worried by it.

There is nothing wrong with asking a person, for the sake of another, and to gain the knowledge myself, to clarify 'how or why'.

lol, Mark I completley agree I would be interested to know too.. hopefully no one on this forum has had the misfortune of having a snake with a neurological disorder, but it would be good knowledge to share if it is out there.

Maybe we could have a sticky of snake ailments and symptoms/how to resolve them? Common things like bad sheds, mites, calcium deficiencies.. injuries such as burns and cuts and then less common things such as stargazing and hereditary/neurological issues... A kind of corn snake first aid if you like.. I would have no idea what to do with a damaged snakey.. obviously I'd be straight onto the forum! But it might be good to have a permanent and easily accessible resource especially for newbies like myself *flutters eyelashes at Lewy*

Edited by - n/a on 16/09/2008 12:39:49
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  13:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I don't think you come across as sarcastic mark I think you're deliberately trying to wind people up. let me guess, you post on RFUK??

if you read my post I said no, it's not stargazing, then agreed with your suggestion but put it in my own words the way i see it ' prob just eyeing something up'.

then I added IF IT WORSENS then it MIGHT be something to worry about (as I have a veterinary background).

Edited by - gingerpony on 16/09/2008 13:39:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  15:11:16  Show Profile
*shields self and runs away from the crossfire*

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  16:09:23  Show Profile
I think you have both put it into your own words which can now help Aztec to determine the problem. I think that if someone is new to snakes, they will be worried no matter what the illness is because its all new to them anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  18:48:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
At the end of the day there are a lot of 'internet-vets', but if you're worried about your pet, get it to a qualified vet. That is not aimed at anyone in particular, please don't take offence.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  22:07:20  Show Profile
quote:

I don't think you come across as sarcastic mark I think you're deliberately trying to wind people up. let me guess, you post on RFUK??

if you read my post I said no, it's not stargazing, then agreed with your suggestion but put it in my own words the way i see it ' prob just eyeing something up'.

then I added IF IT WORSENS then it MIGHT be something to worry about (as I have a veterinary background).

No, i do not post on RFUK.
You may want to read this thread, which i see you yourself have posted in. http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46&whichpage=2

How could i possibly be 'deliberately winding ppl up'? By that, i guess you think that i am trying to wind YOU up?

I say what i want to say and how i want to say it. I do not consider if any of my posts will wind someone up or sitting here rubbing my hands with a grin as i post.

I dont hold any airs or graces, i say things straight, and if i think someones 'bum looks big in this' i will tell them they have a fat ****.
I don't have a problem if someone wants to take it to heart.
I will, however, reply to a post if i can give suitable advice from what i have learned, from owning my first snake 26 years ago, when i was 14.

As you say, you have a vetinary background, so do you not think it would be interesting for us to know more about neurological disorders? I for one do.

If you have a problem Gingerpony, call me to discuss it. 07890******

*MOD EDIT*
Removed phone number, due to complete and total public viewability of this forum. No one wants to risk spam, either by email, or text.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 17/09/2008 15:27:38
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  22:09:33  Show Profile
Getting back on the Thread..

Aztec, does your snake still do the head thing??
Any change?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  22:37:19  Show Profile
hi guys,

thanks for the info. hope it aint some kind of illness lol, as far as im concerned shes a really healthy snake, never had no problems, but she does still do the head thing, its like shes eyein up 4 food but shes does it 24/7, in and out of her viv. she doesnt move when she does it, her body is completely still its just her head tht sways side to side, not rapidly, just with a slight speed to it, sorry, i dnt no hw to describe it better, thts just what she does lol,

thanks again guys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:03:05  Show Profile
Might be worth a vets visit.
Would do no harm just to check it out.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:04:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

If you have a problem Gingerpony, call me to discuss it. 07890******

no.

*MOD EDIT*
Phone number removed

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 17/09/2008 15:28:50
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would seriously suggest people do not post phone numbers on a forum. You may want to go back and edit your post Mark.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000