New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  21:43:18  Show Profile
My daughter was just fine handling Tango (she's 16) once I had got him out of his viv, but I had to get him out, as when she put her hand in there, he moved fairly quickly towards her, and she jumped and drew back her hand (natural enough reaction as Tango is the first snake we have had).

Can anyone give me advice please, as we have had various rats, hamsters, mice and gerbils etc., (and been bitten at various times by most of the above when they were young) as well as dogs, cats and rabbits, and I feel that if I can tell her that people on here have likened a corn snake bite to that of a rat/rabbit or similar, she will be more comfortable about what to expect if she (or I for that matter) did get a bite.

Also, am I right in that a snake can sense fear in a person and may that make him a little more jumpy?

Tango is around 4 feet long and approx 18 mths old. His old owner never got a bite from him, so I don't necessarily think we will if we handle him properly, but I just want to try to help her understand that even if she did get a bite, it would not be as bad as she is thinking it will be (hopefully)... thanks.. J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  22:09:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The snake will hurt a lot less than a hamster! - It will be shock rather than pain.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  22:36:01  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
it probably came forward so quick cos it is used to being handled and wanted to come out. my baby corn done that to me when i first handled it, i know there is no comparison cos the size difference, but it shot towards my hand like it was going to strike but i left my hand there and it just slid onto my hand which was wicked.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:09:46  Show Profile
Build her confidence by getting her to take the water bowl out and the hide and putting them back etc
Snakes can sense fear, but only in the smell of sweat and sense of body temp. They dont use it to weigh up their odds of a fight and mostly strike in self defence or when threatened.
You have plenty time to get used to reading his movements and handling him, and you will. Just takes patience, time and confidence.
All part of the fun.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:11:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If it does bite, try not to fling your hand back, catapulting the snake across the room (easier said than done with the shock).

Its very unlikely that they will latch on, but if they do you can spray water on their face or rub alcohol on their nose.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:25:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
all i've ever got from a corn is butted, when they strike at you but with their mouth closed, so no teeth. it's a shock when it happens but it's usually for a reason eg. you've woken them up or unintentionally got them cornered.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:40:26  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

all i've ever got from a corn is butted, when they strike at you but with their mouth closed,

I did'nt know that well u learn something new every day my corn done that to me the second and third time i went to pick it up.

[Quote]
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:42:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
makes you jump doesn't it?!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:44:27  Show Profile
I've never been bitten, but ours get a little strikey after a feed (understandably) so i can understand her apprehension, but i would much rather get bitten by my corns than a rabbit or a rat that's for sure, it will just be the shock. They can sense fear, but it's much easier to be calm when you know the bite wont be that bad (if at all) and it's just the shock.

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  23:52:39  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
yea made me jump i thought what u doing but put my hand back and it came sliding through my fingers.

[Quote]
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  09:22:05  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
yeh it's more the shock than the pain. It's a bit liek a cat bite, sharp, bleeds quite a lot, but heals fast. Make sure you clean any bite extreamly well though, as they can carry some nasty stuff on their teeth, concidering they eat dead mice.

Also if it does bit and clamps on, dont wrench the snake off you, put you thuimb and forefinger behind the jaw and squeeze gently, then lift the snake off you.

And one otehr thing. Don't do what I did and put the snake straight back. Otherwise it will begin to assosiate biting with being left alone lol.

Good luck! Hope this helps

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  13:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i you do get bit, don`t pull back, try and push the head forward, and the snake should let go, the teeth are very sharp so you wont really feel them going in

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  14:15:15  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
and don't worry about, most of us will get bit at one time or another, I've had cecil 2 months and got bit quite regular up until two weeks ago and now he's got it sussed that I'm here as a friend. it can be quite scarry though if your not used to it.
I've got it all to come again with my new baby!!!

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  15:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Oddly, one of the most common times to get tagged is when they're going 'blue-eye' ready to shed.
Because they're near blind at that stage, sometimes they will strike as a warning. Although if handled regularly, they should be ok.

Getting nipped is part and parcel of having a snake, i believe that you're not a proper snake owner/handler until you've been tagged.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  18:22:42  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the responses... I'm of the school that thinks its helpful to know what might be, so you know how to take the right action.... rats are blasted sharp, and so are hamsters, but I recon I might jump a bit if tango strikes at me... still... as you say... all part of the experience... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  18:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
If you can handle an hamster bite- a snake bite is nothing. I once had an hamster that took the skin off my finger. Nasty little rodents they are!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000