Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:32:46  Show Profile
Hi there, i recently bought a 5ft normal corn, he is about 7yrs old. he has some problems with his scales being too scally if you know what i mean which was dues to the fact that his living conditions were disgusting and he had no heat mat. The lady was feeding him 2 large mice once a fortnight. i knew that wasnt enough for him so i upped him to 2 large once a week. the problem is that everybody says the food should make a bump, well when he eats his 2 large mice you cant even tell that he has eaten. should i be giving him more of moving him up to larger food. was also told to give him rat pups to help his scales as they have more nutrician, does any one no how big rat pups are compared to mice.
any help would be great.
sorry about spelling

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:43:32  Show Profile
Its true, rat pups commonly, are known to have more nutrition than mice, but that depends on a few things; such as how the rats/mice have been farmed and fed; how soon they have developed to their size; how long they have been frozen and how you defrost them to maintain the nutrients.
There are so many nutrients, dusts, drops and supplements on the market that balance out what the food loses so you should have a look for those. Calcium rich and Vit B3, is good for growth, repair and digestion.
Two mice would be enough, as you only want to feed him and not fatten him.
Someone correct me if im wrong.
How much does he weigh?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
is that why rats are more expensive

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:15:38  Show Profile
he weighs about 900 grams, is that a suitable weight for his size and age
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:18:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Its a common misconception that rats have more nutrition than mice, they both have benefits over the other. I posted a table on here a while ago, I'll se eif I can find it.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:19:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://mikedupuyhawkfood.com/nutrition.html

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:39:10  Show Profile
could you tell me the name/make of any suppliments i could use to help his scales as they are very rough and they open up more than they should
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:42:54  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Its a shame they don't sell a moisturiser for snakes.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:51:06  Show Profile
i only paid £30 for him and his viv, his viv is only 2x1x1.5 so its too small. after i come back from holiday im building him a 4x2x2. he wasnt being looked after properly and its a shame too cos hes such a great boy, he sits with me at night on my knee watching the tv and he is so tame. he is in good condition apart from his scales and i worry that i might hurt him when i pick him up (although he shows no sign that i am). i just need the best advice on what i should feed him or what suppliments i should give him to help his skin
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:06:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
surely supplements are unnecessary for corns? their diet as a captive bred snake is pretty much the same as if they were wild.

you could try giving him a bath in 2" of lukewarm water for 10 mins of so kittycat83, if he hasn't been very well looked after for some time there's no quick-fix miracle cure, it's time and correct husbandry (feeding, set-up, exercise/handling).

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:15:07  Show Profile
thanks gingerpony, i have been bathing him and his new viv will be built for him by the end of october. i just worry incase its causing him discomfort. he is around 900 grams do you think his weight is ok for his age and size
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:25:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
He's a fairly heavy lad but not small at 5ft either. my two adult males are around 4'6" and both weigh around the 750g mark. fortnightly feeding is enough for adult males as long as the meal size is appropriate - either 2-3 regular sized mice or I feed one large (4" long) mouse, and there's a definite bulge as it goes down! Regular handling and occasional swimming will help get any excess weight off as if he is clinically obese it could potentially shorten his life.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  12:36:13  Show Profile
the mice i feed him are just over 3" not including the tail. im feeding him two of those a week and they dont leave a bulge. am i feeding him too much. he is actually over 5ft i measured him across the bath which is 5ft and he fitted from top to bottom but he wasnt completely straight. iv only had him a week or so.

Edited by - n/a on 09/09/2008 12:40:19
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
try running a length of string down the center of his back, then measure that for an acurate length

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:26:13  Show Profile
Kittycat,
When you look at his scales, are they creased as if they have been folded over?
As you say his viv is too small for him and he is 5` long, it may just be caused by the fact that he can not stretch out and is tightly curled up as his body bends.
When he goes into a tight bend and moves, the scales on one side of the bend will hook under the scales on the other side of the bend and the scales will crease.
If thats the case, its got nothing to do with his food but that his viv may just be too small and he cant stretch or lie in a loose coil.
My burm sometimes gets scales that are bent back, if i transport him in a tub anywhere, from creasing.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  22:29:28  Show Profile
you know how when snakes try to go backwards there scales underneath feel rough and open ever so slightly, well his are opening up more than they should and a few of his scales at the side have what looks like little chips missing, will try an see if i can get a close up photo tomorrow to put on
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  23:23:30  Show Profile
Yeah, some pictures would be nice.
That way everyone could see and offer better advice.
When was the last shed?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  23:43:34  Show Profile
i dont know when his last shed was only had him just over a week. and the person i bought him from said they couldnt remember
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  23:47:48  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
thats why keeping records are worthwhile

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  00:06:58  Show Profile
very true, thats why iv now started one for him
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  00:09:57  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
nice one

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page