New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  11:51:40  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
Hey guys, so im thinking about getting a new addition - a ball/royal python. I currently have a corn. i definately will not house together but are there any risk of them eating each other if handled together or will it stress the corn if vivs are placed next to each other? definately a newbie post but better safe than sorry!

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  11:53:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Are the viv's glass? - i.e. if they were placed next to each other would they be able so see each other?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  12:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I have my royal wedged in between two corns on my stack, so proximity isn't a problem.

I think I understand what BE is saying with the glass. Being able to see a royal might upset the corn because of the size difference. Then again- being able to see a corn might scare the royal too because royals are wimps

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  12:42:01  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
put up some sort of visual partition and they will be fine

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  13:22:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That's what I was going to say if they are glass, just block their view of each other off.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  16:21:03  Show Profile
My corn and king are in adjacent glass vivs but as others suggest, they have a background attahed to the backs and sides of their vivs so can not see each other. They have never met in person obviously!!! They are just neighbours who keep themselves to themselves!

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  16:54:45  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
you could cross a corn with a king

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:08:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Jungle?

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:24:09  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
yes they look awesome, but are nearly alls born infertile so follow on breeding is rare

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  20:01:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I imagine you have to watch them carefully during mating.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  20:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i did read if you use a male king, then hes more up for mating than eating, but if you use a female king and shes not up for it, she might want to eat instead

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:02:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like my relationship!

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  21:37:54  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
well my current viv is glass, but im planning on a wooden viv for the royal although slightly worried about having the heat mat inside the tank. id rather it be outside so as not to burn the snake. hmm a partition is a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
If you get a mat stat burning shouldn't be a problem - If you put the mat outside the viv there wouldn't be sufficient heat to heat a wooden viv the wood just soaks up all the heat. We use a sheet of glass in most of our wooden vivs with the mat underneath works okay and is easy to clean. A Stat is a must with a royal, as they become very fussy eaters if not kept at correct temps and humidity etc - vist the royal python forum (still in beta at the moment) you'll get some good advice on there...
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  16:35:44  Show Profile
my corns love to be handled but get very jumpy if i handle them straight after handling my royal even if i wash my hands, so they can obviously smell him on me so for this reason i`ve never handled both at the same time. Best to be safe.
All my corns are kept seperate but can be handled together and dont get jumpy then so it is defo the royal they smell.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  21:49:20  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
is it true that some ball pythons have venom? if so how can u tell which ones!?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I don't believe so.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:07:52  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
i didnt think so until i saw this: http://www.pets-classifieds.co.uk/c65d33685.php very strange
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Odd.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Sounds dodgy to me- if those piosons are the bit that's like an umbilical cord, then they shouldn't be ready to breed next year.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:56:04  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
royals are boids, and no species of boids have venom, either in glands or saliva

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic