Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  13:58:30  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have recently bought a corn snake and i just want to make sure i keep the little guy healthy. With regards to the heat mat - is it adviseable to get a thermostat and also, i have read about corn snakes acidently comitting suicide by lying under the mat -so is it best to seal it down and if so what with?
Lighting.... i have bought a strip light from BNQ (the type that usually goes under kitchen cupboards) is this safe to use? as the one that the breader supplied gets very very hot.

Hope someone can advise me

Steve

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is the snake and what are you keeping it in?

All heat sources need to be used with a thermostat. For a heat mat, you want either a mat stat or a pulse stat (The pulse stat is more accurate, and habistat is a good brand).

The light should be ok to use, but I would put a guard on it anyway. For that reason I would say you are better off using an energy saving light bulb if you want to use a light as buying a guard for a long strip light will be expensive.

Lights arnt essential, day light will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Steve me again!

Regarding your heatmat a thermostat is an absolute must as it regulates the temp of the heatmats and when not regulated a heatmat can get very very hot and burn your snake.

As for positioning if its in a viv then place it inside the viv under your substrate. Then tape the thermostat probe to the mat, this way it will pick up any little fluctuations and correct it. Also with the probe directly on the mat it will never go above the set temperature. If its in a faun or a RUB like mine then place the mat under the faun/RUB and then put the tthermostat probe inside in the warm end hide were the snake will spend most of its time. make sure its placed under the substrate again.

As for lighting i cant help you there as i dont use one but im sure another freindly member could.

By the way the search tool is your friend :) always search you may find your answer from when someone else has asked before :)

Matt

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

As for positioning if its in a viv then place it inside the viv under your substrate. Then tape the thermostat probe to the mat, this way it will pick up any little fluctuations and correct it. Also with the probe directly on the mat it will never go above the set temperature. If its in a faun or a RUB like mine then place the mat under the faun/RUB and then put the tthermostat probe inside in the warm end hide were the snake will spend most of its time. make sure its placed under the substrate again.

I would avoid using tape inside a viv, if the snake touches it it can cause alot of problems.

If your using a viv, use aquarium selant to stick the probe to the mat, if you using a plastic tub, tape the stat probe directly to the mat on the outside.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:25:51  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I'm using a wooden 36 x 15 x 15 viv with a glass front. any suggestions on where to buy a thermostat?

nice one guys!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve a stat can be bought from all reptile shops, though they generally are a tad more expencive than if you bought online.

Though as you need one I'd say get one from a rep shop as soon as you can :)

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  14:59:41  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im really confused, the guy who sold me the snake told me i would be fine without a stat? but i am really worried now ..eek!
i found my snake underneath the mat this morning....not good eh?

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mat being used with out a stat will get very hot very fast. How are you measuring the temperature?

When was the last time you fed it? If it was a few days ago, I would unplug the mat until you get a stat, its warm at the moment so it wont cause any harm as long as the room its in isnt cold.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:03:43  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i fed him on wednesday evening

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:05:40  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im measuring the temp with a thermo meter. on the mat its self its at 30 deg C and 5 inches above, its at 25 deg c

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:19:06  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok guys, i just ordered a Habistat heat mat thermostat upto 100 watts.....from ebay £24.99....is this gonna be ok...hehe

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:30:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes it will be fine. What type of thermoeter are you using? Unfortutaly, people why sell snakes always seem to say no mat needs a stat.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:31:29  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
by the way...matty, you said before that i could turn off the heat mat. would this be ok until wednesday as thats when this stat is due to arrive. nice one pal!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:32:46  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Yes it will be fine. What type of thermoeter are you using? Unfortutaly, people why sell snakes always seem to say no mat needs a stat.

its one of them round plastic ones lol!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

by the way...matty, you said before that i could turn off the heat mat. would this be ok until wednesday as thats when this stat is due to arrive. nice one pal!

Should be fine, just dont feed it. I would make sure the snake is in a warm room.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what ive got buddy and it works fine. Like Matty said unplug the mat and dont use it untill your stat arrives.

As for measuring temps mate try and get a digital thermometer as they are more accurate and the probe can be positioned exacly where you want to measure the temperature. Mine was about £3 of the bay.

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a dial thermometer is saying 30*C on the mat, I would say it was closer to 40*C, so definatley turn it off.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:43:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

eep trust me, they are crap! I have used them and I find them hard to read and sometimes they read spot on, other times they are far off.

Myself and some other proplr use these ones
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230482351550QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8031903167875581280

Any didgital one should be fine though. Most of the digital ones on e-bay are cheaper than those round ones in petshops.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:56:00  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i cant thank you guys enough....i was told by the breeder that i wouldnt need one!!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

eep trust me, they are crap! I have used them and I find them hard to read and sometimes they read spot on, other times they are far off.

Myself and some other proplr use these ones
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ230482351550QQihZ013QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8031903167875581280

Any didgital one should be fine though. Most of the digital ones on e-bay are cheaper than those round ones in petshops.

DEALT!! just placed an order lol....thanks again....bloody snakes...costing me a fortune....i knew i should have bought a budgie!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats exacly the one i have Sta~ple

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly