Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  19:14:10  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its so annoying to hear of a shop giving such bum advice. It just leads to sick animals and dispondant owners wondering what they did wrong. The advice you have been given here is spot on but to add to it my tip is when you get your stat and digital thermometer attach the probes of each together with rubber bands (dont use tape for reasons already stated) and have both probes together laying flat in direct contact with the surface of the heatmat. That way you know exactly what temp the mat is pumping out and can regulate the stat far more accurately. Dont trust the dial on the thermostat as quite often they lie. Also when you position your probes on the surface of the mat make sure you fix them there with sealant or weigh them down in place with something heavy as if the snake moves them it can lead to the mat overheating.
Hope that helps
cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/06/2010 19:15:37
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Its so annoying to hear of a shop giving such bum advice. It just leads to sick animals and dispondant owners wondering what they did wrong. The advice you have been given here is spot on but to add to it my tip is when you get your stat and digital thermometer attach the probes of each together with rubber bands (dont use tape for reasons already stated) and have both probes together laying flat in direct contact with the surface of the heatmat. That way you know exactly what temp the mat is pumping out and can regulate the stat far more accurately. Dont trust the dial on the thermostat as quite often they lie. Also when you position your probes on the surface of the mat make sure you fix them there with sealant or weigh them down in place with something heavy as if the snake moves them it can lead to the mat overheating.
Hope that helps
cheers

steve

thats cool, so what should set the temp too???
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Warm end around 27-30c (I have mine at 28) cold end around 21 ish (if you can in this heat lol)

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  21:57:33  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice one ela!!!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:40:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve
DEALT!! just placed an order lol....thanks again....bloody snakes...costing me a fortune....i knew i should have bought a budgie!

Hahaha budgies are lovely, I miss mine although bthe make such a mess! And you can't have a normal telephone call XD

Once set-up costs are donw, snakes are very cheap to keep :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  22:15:27  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

As for positioning if its in a viv then place it inside the viv under your substrate. Then tape the thermostat probe to the mat, this way it will pick up any little fluctuations and correct it. Also with the probe directly on the mat it will never go above the set temperature. If its in a faun or a RUB like mine then place the mat under the faun/RUB and then put the tthermostat probe inside in the warm end hide were the snake will spend most of its time. make sure its placed under the substrate again.

I would avoid using tape inside a viv, if the snake touches it it can cause alot of problems.

If your using a viv, use aquarium selant to stick the probe to the mat, if you using a plastic tub, tape the stat probe directly to the mat on the outside.

So what do i do with the probes?...i have ordered 2 digital thermometers
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  23:05:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have my therm probes in the corns fauns under the hide and rockies weighed down with some stones if that helps.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page