Where to put the viv?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  19:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With this sudden appearance of warm weather, I've discovered a problem. I live in a top-floor west-facing flat, making the east side of the flat (kitchen, bathroom, flatmate's room) far too hot in the morning. The west side (my room, the living room) is sweltering from about 2PM. I've currently got Ruby in the living room, but I'm worried that she'll get too warm. The only room unaffected by blazing sunshine is the entrance hall and, while it's about the size of a large double bedroom, it also gets a fair bit of traffic as there are three people living here. Do you reckon she'd be all right in the hall or would it be too stressful on her?

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  19:56:05  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same thing happen to me the sun was shining in thru the front window and heating up the end of the thermostat probe. What is your viv temps ?

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  19:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you taken temp readings in the viv at these times?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temps are normal on the warm side (28.5C on the dot), but the cool end sometimes creeps up to around 25C. She seems to prefer the cool side of the viv anyway, but it still concerns me a bit :/

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)

Edited by - n/a on 03/06/2010 20:30:51
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  20:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My viv is in the conservatory on the floor in the corner, perfect temps been on so far..

I have up'ed the tempretures atm periodically as I suspect my Blitz may have a R.I so now its 32.3 and 20* in the cool end.

RUB is sat at 27.8 and 21.4. I find that the cooler end fluctuates the most, but the snakes only get about 2 hours on full of sunshine which the rub's cool end max has been 24, but not been there for long.

With the double doors and window open full blast, gets a nice breeze going through here.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  20:50:46  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt worry about it too much they are hardier than you think although if you are that concerned you could consider putting more vents in the viv

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  00:05:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

I wouldnt worry about it too much they are hardier than you think although if you are that concerned you could consider putting more vents in the viv

With the hot weather heating up the ambient temp of the whole room im not sure this would help all that much.

I am having similar problems and my corns are in fauns.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  03:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The temps in my wooden fauns have got to the same as your during the hot weather Rachel and all I could do was lower the heatmat temp so it was averaging just above 27 - 28....rather than 27.5 - 28.5. Didnt really make any difference but at least I felt as though I was doing something.

My vivs are in our lounge with no opening windows, so I just had to keep the curtains shut on the patio doors all day. The bizarre thing was that Silvesta chose to stay in the warm end. But it did worry me that the cool end temp was hitting 26....but it was for only certain periods of the day and I made sure that when I had him out I left the door of the viv open on the cool end just to let some air in (not that it made much difference, the air temp in the viv was just the same as the room temp).

You can fix up some fans (like PC fans to create an airflow) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9787.

If you are really concerned about the temps then maybe it would be best to move her.....you could try and put her in the entrance hall and see how she reacts. As long as people arent crashing past and threatening to knock her faun then it may not be a problem.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  12:20:41  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

With the hot weather heating up the ambient temp of the whole room im not sure this would help all that much.

I am having similar problems and my corns are in fauns.

No but I would imagine an enclosed space like a viv or faun with a heatmat in it would have a higher ambient temprature than the room. It would be the same as leaving a radiator on in one room of your house and closing the door. Therefore putting in more vents would help to reduce it to the same as the room is which still isnt ideal. Sorry i didnt realise your snake was in a faun which are pretty much well vented. Perhaps if you are that concerned then a move is in order.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 04/06/2010 12:28:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to worry, problem solved :) Measured the ambient temp at the far end of the kitchen and it actually only gets around 22C, so I'll be moving her in there. Handy thing about this is the fact that there's a nook for a dining table. We've been using it as the place laundry goes to die, but it turns out that there's plenty of space for 3 adult corn-size vivs and at least 2 royal-size vivs. Guess it's time to start making puppy eyes at the OH

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  12:37:26  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL.....defo puppy eye time!!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  13:13:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
whats the male equivalent of puppy eyes I am trying to "sneak in" a third corn? LOL

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

shaun727
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  01:01:25  Show Profile  Click to see shaun727's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

whats the male equivalent of puppy eyes I am trying to "sneak in" a third corn? LOL

flowers and chocolate

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  03:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ladyevil

Not to worry, problem solved :)........there's plenty of space for 3 adult corn-size vivs and at least 2 royal-size vivs. Guess it's time to start making puppy eyes at the OH

So glad you have managed to find a place, not only where you can put Ruby's faun that you will be happier with than where she is now....but also a place where you can fit more and more snakes . Isnt it great that us women have our ways and means for getting our own way....supposedly !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  07:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog
Isnt it great that us women have our ways and means for getting our own way....supposedly !!

Yeah, my particular 'ways and means' = a little something I like to call 'home baking'. They can't say no when their mouths are full of cake

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  10:00:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
mmmmmmm cake

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000