New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question for people who have bred there own baby corns...

When they first hatch, do they bite?

I would of thort they do, but would be funny seeing something so small with an attitude! lol.

Do you handle them straight away and are they easy to tame?

Stella was 4 months old when i got her and REALLY gentle, from the first time i handled her she has never shown any aggression at all.

Im getting my next hatchling at 3 or 4 weeks, so is that likely to be nippy?

Im just really curious,

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:47:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't have any breeding experience but what i have read from other threads is that you get some that do strike and some that don't. I have even read that incubation temperatures can cause them to be snappy.

I think all will be scared and skittish i guess its just down to personality wether they do slither off into a hide or "S" up and get all defensive.

As for wether or not yours will be snappy could go anyway i guess. When i got casper he was at a guess around 3 months old and was very snappy but calmed down quite quickly. I think it took just over a week for him to stop striking at me,and a little longer untill he stopped trying to get away when ever i handled him.

On the other hand my brothers ghost strike (suitingly named) assumes possition whenever you go near his faun and tends to tag you like 3-4 times in the time it takes you to open the hatch and get his water bowl. Then another 3-4 times when your putitng his water bowl back in.

We've had him since early february, he has his good days when you can actually picking him out of his faun without him striking but generally is pretty grumpy.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  11:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, i wouldnt mind either way.

Would be a challenge to have a grumpy one i guess! Never been tagged so cant wait :-)

Just curious,

Thanks for reply,

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  12:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when we got our one she didnt like being touched much. she struck at the OH more than she did at me but was funny ya wouldnt notice it it ya werent looking. she camed down after about 2 weeks and is grand now

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  12:14:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When mine hatched only ever one bit me and sometimes it still tries to 3 months on. The rest were skittish at times and one was... well it was like it was either really tame or too chilledout!

I'm finding that my nippy one is calming down slowly, he normally only really rattles his tail when I stick my hand in his RUB but one out he's fine. He gets really defensive over his food as well when I put him in a feeding container even if he isn't planning on eating it.

Edit: All snakes no matter what age, upon going to a different environ may bite or rattle. Even the most calmest snakes can do this.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 03/06/2010 12:37:06
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  16:11:32  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hatchlings at that age can be nippy but with reg handling it should tame it up and then should solve that problem but if it does bite you its not going to hurt and its not going to puncture the skin either lol .

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  18:12:29  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've found that most will strike at my fingers, which is kind of cute when they're so tiny! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  01:14:46  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
none of my lil babies tried to bite me last year... some of them were a lil skittish but most were perfect :D it was when i got 2 others (snoopy/twilight) when i swapped a couple of my babies 4 them 2 that they were nippy snoopy kept trying to bite me everytime i tried to put him back and twilight kept trying to 'eat' me :D but they sooned calmed down

but i suppose all snakies are diferent... but it doesnt hurt when they bite its just the shock although i always seem to bleed :(

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000