What sould i do
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  09:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it looks like i have inherited five more snakes, i dont know if i should keep them or let some go they are all nice snakes. i have three of my own so this would make eight. i know a lot of you keep a large number of snakes. is it just as easy to keep a large number. six of them are a year and a half. jen

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  09:52:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol how did you inherite them? I think it's really a question ofdo you have space for that many and an ou affords all the vivs and equiptment? The more you have the less frequently really your goig to be able to take each out their viv really. Your lucky you got them at such a nice age!

If you have children you could give them each one and teach them how to look after them or see if your friends want an then you can always go round and visit the snakes >.<

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  09:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, I have 3 snakes and would love to get some more but for me the limiting factor is space and money. If you can afford to keep them all and have the space to do so, then theres no reason you shouldnt. It may be worth looking into using RUB's to house some of them if you have eight though, just because theyre a great way of saving space and theyre easy to move and clean.

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  09:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always had them here, but now my friend cant keep them anymore, and was going to take them back to the pet shop. i know the king snake he would realy love to keep and i hope that when he gets a place of his own i could hand him back to him. jen
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  10:28:39  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh well if you've always had them then there's no problem.....keep them!!!!!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  10:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol it was only ment to be temp, i will have a look into the rubs and see. I just want to be sure i have the time and be able to keep them as they should be kept looks like there will be a snake in every room. sorry if this sounds like a panic but i am new to this and want to do the best for them. jen

Edited by - n/a on 31/05/2010 10:47:29
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  14:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as you've already got the snakies i would keep them haha :D there is nothing wrong with having 8 snakies... i have 10 n all my snakies are still all looked after and i try my best to handle them everyday (apart from after feeding and 48hrs etc) i dont always admitanly...

but anyway i would say keep them haha :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  15:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep them if you can afford a huge vet bill should any of them get ill. Look at a basic stacking system re housing. Hope it works out ok for you. Allybobz n GB.
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  12:23:28  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although with vet bills, the only way they'd all get ill is with cross infection, and if housed eperately, shouldn't be an issue. The only time mine have needed vets was an eggbound issue, and something stuck up gobo's nose.

Not too bad all round!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a real tough one Jen. You only got your own first corn about 6 weeks ago (I think ) then you jumped to having 3 and now you are considering taking on 5 more, some not corns. That is a steep learning curve!!

How long have you been looking after your friend's snakes and how much of the looking after have you been doing? How have they been housed? Surely they already have housing of their own? Is their housing set up correctly - as in with heatmats, stats, digital thermometers? If not then these would all be things you would need to get....

It is a big responsibility you are thinking of taking on and I know that the immediate response it to jump at it - we all love snakes and the thought of gaining extra ones for free....how could we say no??

Only you can answer honestly and that is by looking at it practically - do you have the time, space and money to take on this responsibility? Do you have other family members who need to be taken into consideration?

I would love to say yes, go for it....but only do that with your eyes wide open as to what you are truly taking on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  19:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all for the replys. I have decided to sale the snakes, i hate to do this but i think three is enough for me to keep at the moment.There will be 1 male grey banded king , 1 aztec female, 1 caramel unsexed ,1 normal male two and a half to three years old and poss a ghost the same age as the normal. i hat to do this but i have three of my own and i think that is enough at the moment. i will put them on the classifieds . if anyone wants to see pics now if you look up member locci on here i know he put pics up. jen
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  21:10:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's sad but I am very glad your being realstic about it. So many people decide to buy or get one snake after another and then another and then they end up with so many and once they get fully grown, they realise that they don;t have enough room to house them all. I was thinking about keeping all my hatchings but I would never have the tome for them all, my uni work and my family so I can kind of understand how you feel.

The aztec and caramel sound so temping, I would really love to help you but I can't T.T 4 snakes sometimes feels like a lot to deal with sometimes.

I know this might sound a bit rude and your being really helpful to your friend but I hope he is helping you to sell them since they are his and that your not being taken for granted.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  19:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm actually after a Ghost corn as well, but i'm getting married end of Aug and have to wait till after then, sort of made a deal with the OH that i'd wait till then!!!! lol
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  03:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jen

thank you all for the replys.........i will put them on the classifieds . if anyone wants to see pics now if you look up member locci on here i know he put pics up. jen

A suggestion Jen, if you find you have to sell them to people other than off this site then you could try advertising on a site like Pre-Loved. I am sure you will be doing everything you can to make sure the snakes go to good homes. You could make up a set of questions to ask a prospective buyer to assess how much they know and if they know what they are doing. When they do collect the snakes give them a copy of the care sheet and suggest they join us here.

I know this means more work for you and I do hope that the true owner of these snakes (your friend) will be doing his bit to help you do this.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000