111 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how long does it take for a frozen mouse to thaw out ? cheers

winston

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:22:09  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how long is a piece of string....

depends on size of mouse temp of room air flow.

i always leave mine out for a good few hours

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i usually get mine out about 5 and feed at nine. basically until it is squishy all the way through

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:30:59  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

how long is a piece of string....

depends on size of mouse temp of room air flow.

i always leave mine out for a good few hours

Twice as long from the middle to the end

I leave mine for a few hours, If im in a rush then they go in water. But normally only a few hours as Im feeding mine small mice at the mo. The Pythons Rat takes ages!!!! I just keep checking and when its soft blast with hair dryer and serve!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our usually go into a dish over a bowl of boiled water. after defrosting for hour or two. to give them a bit of heat in them. but gotta make sure they squishy all the way through

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it depends - like everyone else has said
pinkies wont take as long as adult mice; in my nice warm lizard room my pinkies usually take half an hour to an hour, and adult mice 1 - 2 hours

Dont put them in th microwave though
...i learned that one the hard way
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  20:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive always put mine in a sandwhich bag then in boiling water straight from the freezer leave them 4 half an hour is this wrong?? this is 4 pinkies tho??

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  20:59:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It depends how big the mouse is... I leave large and extra large for at least 8 hours and pinkys thaw in an hour/2 hours. I never use water to thaw as I don't like doing that >.< plus sometimes the water can end up cooking the ice or make them explode if it's too hot. I'm not too confidante about putting it in water myself although it would make them thaw quicker. So I put the food under/over the heatsource in the snakes viv. That way, they also know feeding time is soon, it warms their food and makes it thaw quicker.

It's like sausages really, if you to bend it to see if it's thawed :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  21:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i got them i was never told what 2 do with the pinkies so just followed a friends advice! they will b going on 2 fuzzies soon so should i defrost them over nite? do u leave them on the side or what?? didnt even think bout it till reading this post! good post

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  21:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think i could put them directly in water i do it like i've always melted choc in one container over another container the lower one with the boiling water. dont think the snakes would like cooked mouse

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  21:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Over night is a bit long. I haven't fed mine fuzzies for ages but I think it used to take about 2 hours, 3 to be on the safe side. I just left them on the side although you can check if it's defrosted by feeling if it is col to the touch and hard in the middle As for defrosting them in water I have no idea how long it takes. I guess you would have to keep taking it out every 5 mins and feel if it's defrosted.

As long as it's warm and squishy it's good to be eaten XD You just have to think of mice like how you would thaw sausgaes really. If you put them in boiling water or in the microwave they can cook or explode XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 31/05/2010 21:28:20
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanx as i said never thought about it really!!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine go in hot water, I wait until the water has gone cold, then check to see if they're defrosted (i.e, I squeeze them, and if I can't feel any cold bits inside then yup!) then put a little bit of warm water in again, just to warm it up a bit, take it out, dry it, wiggle it at snake, then wait!!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes are on either medium mice or jumbo mice. They are put into a plastic box that is purely for the use of defrosting mice. Then if I am feeding them in the morning they are got out the night before and put in the coolest place in the house, if they are being fed in the evening then they are got out in the morning (all depends on what I am up to and whether I remember it is feeding day the next day!).

When it is time to feed I put the mouse in a plastic bag and dip it in hot water for a few minutes just to warm it up.

(of course, this only works when they are feeding instead of being horny little **** like at the moment !!)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  17:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers people good feedback

winston
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  19:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally leave a fuzzy out for about an hour and a half, then when its feeling room temp i warm it up with the hairdryer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000