Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  13:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

I've had a corn snake now for about a year, he/she was about 8 weeks when I bought him. He looks just like the one in this sites logo. I haven't had any problems with him at all.

I bought another corn on Saturday. He's about 3 1/2 foot. I'm a little concerned about him shedding in pieces but will post this on the appropriate board.

I've already used the board several times for info but thought it was about time I joined!

0.1.2 Amels (Juvenile/hatchlings)
1.0.0 Hypo Normal (Adult)
0.1.0 Ghost Motley/Stripe (Adult)
0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
0.1.0 Grey Rat Snake (Adult)
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Grey Banded King (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Pacific Gopher (Adult)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Juvenile)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  13:51:26  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey CSJ, welcome to the forums, you'll have to get some pcs up as soon as pos, we loves pics on this site.
And any problems you have there is sure to be members that have encountered these that can help you out.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  14:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  15:25:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome here. It's really interesting how people seem to spend ages lurking on the board before they finally join.

Pictures please!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  15:38:25  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Can't wait to see your snakies :D

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  17:42:47  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us, better than just being a lurker!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  22:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to seeing some pictures

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  07:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  12:52:40  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya n welcome to the forum :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl, having lurked in the shadows for a while we can finally welcome you on board officially ! You will have seen what a great forum this is, with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

Do you know about leaving your new corn for a week to settle in, with no handling or feeding? I realise this probably isnt going to be possible if he has shedded in pieces, but once that issue has been resolved then it may be a good idea to start the week from then. It just allows him the chance to get used to his new surroundings, recover from the experience of everything he has gone through and slowly get used to your smell. Usually we would suggest you just change the drinking water daily and fiddle with the substrate - doing spot-checks for poos and it is also a way to get your smell into his viv so he gets used to it and doesnt see you as a threat. (sorry if you know all this ). Obviously his shedding issue needs dealing with, and that will be stressful for him too....so the settling in week afterwards could be vital. You know that him going without food for that period is not a problem as they can go for a long time without eating. I just hope you are able to sort out the retained shed....

I am not sure if you have experienced it yet, but there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! If you have already used us a few times then you will have found the first place to look - the search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I dont know if you do this with your old snake and are planning on doing it with your new one, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !! I know it seems a bit over the top, but if you dont then it may be an idea to start as it is actually really helpful for keeping track of your snake's health.

As you can see, pics are already being demanded! It is actually an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I cant wait to see pics of your original snake and new one, and look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your welcomes. I have been given some really useful advise here on the shedding issue and am happy to report that it's sorted! Billy is a star and even after some very intimate handling to remove the retained skin, he didn't want to go back in his viv!

I have experienced the conflicting advice but have decent research skills and I like to think a healthy dollop of common sense too.

I found out early on that they can go without food for a while after looking it up when Max escaped and disappeared the first day I had him! I thought the viv was corn proof but learned quickly.

My younger corn, Max has moved to a new viv so I'm giving him a settling period too but promise to post pictures soon. I'd rather wait and take pics outside the vivs.

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CSJ

Thank you all for your welcomes. I have been given some really useful advise here on the shedding issue and am happy to report that it's sorted! Billy is a star and even after some very intimate handling to remove the retained skin, he didn't want to go back in his viv!

I have experienced the conflicting advice but have decent research skills and I like to think a healthy dollop of common sense too.

I found out early on that they can go without food for a while after looking it up when Max escaped and disappeared the first day I had him! I thought the viv was corn proof but learned quickly.

My younger corn, Max has moved to a new viv so I'm giving him a settling period too but promise to post pictures soon. I'd rather wait and take pics outside the vivs.

I am so glad that Billy's sheddng issue has been sorted Carl....and he must be a lovely mannered snake to allow you to do what you have done without getting stressed - and your attitude with him will have had a huge effect....just being calm and gentle and not showing any nerves or fears makes such a difference to how a snake handles.

That must have been a bit of a shock having Max disappear after the first day you had him ! How long was he gone for? I know that so many of us are convinced we have escape proof vivs and then some get proved wrong....and can never work out how the snake escaped.

Look forward to seeing pics of them both when they are ready to pose for you !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max was only gone for two days. I'm a musician so have a living room full of great hiding places! Also, where I lived at the time, the stairs were in the living room so I knew he could be in the living room or anywhere upstairs!

I searched randomly in a bit of a panic to start with. Once I'd done a bit of reading on escaped snakes, I decided the only thing to do was to empty everything and then move it out of the room - a process of elimination. I began to work around the edges of the room and luckily found him in the second place I looked, under a leather dvd drawer unit that had a tiny gap at the bottom! I went straight out and bought him a new, more secure viv and touch wood have had no further escapes!

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  19:27:42  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome! HAHAHA, just thought, if ure anything like me and have a range of instruments about, I can think of some REALLY irritating ones for them to hide in!!!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  01:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the time he had three acoustics to hide in (the three electrics and bass were easy enough to check), a drum kit, a full p.a. with speakers (lots of portholes), a lighting rig, two amps, two saxophones and boxes full of wires! I was sooooooo lucky!

I might have noticed the tonal difference if I'd played any instruments with a corn snake in lol!

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  08:31:25  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HAHAHa I was thinking that!!! if they'd gone into the acoustic you'd have had to unstring it to get him out!!!

May have given him a headache if you'd played it though!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  22:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a picture of Max I had forgotten about on my camera so have posted it here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=9955#112466

Not long now and I can take some better pictures and sort out a signature x

0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  23:22:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000