New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  07:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

If you've seen the pics of Charlie you might have seen he's very underweight and ill be going to the pet shop today to get him some larger food. My question is would a rat be more suitable than a mouse due to their higher fat content?

Thanks

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  09:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rats would probably bulk him up quicker, but it doesnt make much of a difference.

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  10:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There appears to be a common misconception about rats on here at the moment...that rats have a higher fat content.

A rat which is the equivalent size of a mouse has a higher fat content but also protein content, higher meat to bone content and less water.

It's just a better meal all round, and will only result in greater size gains if you follow your existing feeding regime.
By this I mean that when feeding on rats you can feed less often.

If I was a snake I'd probably want variation, so I choose to get both and interchange them every now and then.

Hope this helps

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  13:50:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been using rats to try and make my skinny girl put on more weight and it's worked so far :)she also enjoys the taste of them more and now ignores mice though even more :/ although to be safe that I'm not making her over porky I switch between rats and mice every meal so she gets 1 rat every 2 weeks and 1 mouse every 2 weeks. A;though he would put on the weight with mice, it just might take a bit longer.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 30/05/2010 13:52:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000