Special moments with yor corn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  21:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all know that any time spent with your snake is special, but what about those times that have that something extra?

It's feeding day for P and after letting her roam about for 15 minutes I start to get her into her RUB for feeding but she's not exactly playing ball; she's half in and half along my arm still. So, I figure I'll just coax her into getting the rest of her into the RUB by introducing the mouse, get her interested and drag it further away so she'll have to move along, thereby getting her to move fully into the feed tub. In true Monkey fashion, this doesn't go exactly to plan and P strikes the mouse, retreats back up my arm leaving only the first four or five inches of her body still in the RUB, wraps a couple of coils around my wrist and gives a very gentle constrict! If I try to move, she squeezes a little tighter, so sorry guys, no photos!

It was just one of those out of the ordinary moments that will stick out in my mind and got me thinking it might make an interesting thread.

Anybody else want to share their snakey magic moments?

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  01:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every time I try to put Marshmallow back into his viv, being out and being handled is much better than being in the viv and I've spent more time trying to get him back into the viv than I have handling him in the past as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  04:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow Miles, that must have been amazing ....I cant imagine having Kellog or Silvesta feed while constricting round my arm the way Porphyria did with you!! (Actually at the moment I cant imagine them feeding, as the little ******* - my own asterisking - are still horny and on hunger strike ....not something I want to remember!!)

I have the same thing with both Kellog and Silvesta as Kehhlyr does with Marshmallow....which always makes me wonder at those who say that snakes dont want to be handled etc - mine certainly try to avoid going back in their vivs as much as possible and with Kellog he almost dances, ducking and diving and weaving to avoid me aiming him into his viv.

I think for me so far it has to be Kellog's first feed. Considering he was my first snake and I knew very little about them (too little ) I absolutely panicked when he refused his first feed with me....and then his 2nd and his 3rd. That was when I found this forum, which is another reason this is such a special memory , and they worked out that he was horny and talked me through what to do. For 13 weeks they kept me sane while I drove them crazy and each 5 days I would offer him a mouse and he would totally ignore it. Then one morning I followed the usual ritual and suddenly - bang , he struck!! No coil but for me it was the most exciting and scary thing to have happened in a long long time. And then I got to finally see a corn eat....which still amazes me over a year on (although I am missing out on that again because of males and their preoccupation with ******* - again, my own asterisking!).

With Silvesta I think it is more a long term 'something special'....watching him change from a snake who was only handled with a glove by an owner who was scared of him maybe a couple of times a week, and who would strike out and try to flee all the time, to the snake he is now - still fast but happy to be handled and a joy to have.

What excites me is that I have years ahead of me to have moments with them that will become those special memories .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  09:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a special moment last night i went 2 check Zebedee b4 going 2 bed n he had finally come out from hiding staring at me with a proud look on his face with a nice big shed behind him!!
But my favorite moment i was telling kellog about on a different post was when Zebedee first shed i was sitting reading about shedding on my laptop looked up at his tank he was in at the time n he'd just started shedding! i got to watch the whole thing n really spooky as i was reading about it!!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  10:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've only had Ruby for a week and a half and have only handled her once to feed (as she turned up with those blue eyes the DAY we were allowed to start handling her :P), but her first feed was totally spectacular...bearing in mind that I'm quite easily entertained, haha! I was sure that she was going to ignore the mouse- when I held it in front of her, she sniffed at it a bit but didn't show much interest until I started wiggling it around. It only took her about five seconds to strike and...COIL!! It was the absolute last thing we expected to see her do. The strike gave us a proper start, but we stood there like a couple of googly-eyed children looking at a box full of puppies and watched her finish off the mouse (head first!) like a pro. It was awesome, but I'm gutted we didn't get it on video :(

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think aura having her first whole pinkie is a big one for me - after thinking i was going to lose her for a while its a big relief for me to know that she might actually make it now
with the others its just the little things like striking and coiling for the first time and then the photos that couldnt be posed to happen again

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

think aura having her first whole pinkie is a big one for me

Hannah, that is amazing! I hadnt realised she had done it ....I am not surprised that her eating like that is your special moment, after all the time and work you have put in when so many others would have just given up on her and the fear you lived with of losing her....I am so pleased for you....and her of course !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

think aura having her first whole pinkie is a big one for me - after thinking i was going to lose her for a while its a big relief for me to know that she might actually make it now
with the others its just the little things like striking and coiling for the first time and then the photos that couldnt be posed to happen again

how is she, still eating iwth your help or eating by herself now? this must have been the best for you

mine had to be when i found monty, wlaking out my room 2 months after he had gone missing and now givin up hope i walked out to see a tiny little grey tail peeking out from underneath the dog bed. i walked by then turned around and picked up the dog bed to see monty looking up at me like "ohh, hey *darn, iv been found*" that had to be the best moment with him apart form bringing him home

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

think aura having her first whole pinkie is a big one for me

Hannah, that is amazing! I hadnt realised she had done it ....I am not surprised that her eating like that is your special moment, after all the time and work you have put in when so many others would have just given up on her and the fear you lived with of losing her....I am so pleased for you....and her of course !

xxx

she still gets help but shes had two whole pinkies now, she seems pretty perky aswell but i was worried (not sure why) that she would regurge because of the stress feeding causes her (and me!), kept it quiet because i didnt want to celebrate too early but fingers crossed shes getting there now will try and get some pics after she sheds - which hopefully should be in the next few weeks as shes started gaining weight nicely now

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  18:12:42  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Been so many for me. Xena's first feed (and more or less every feed since) her first whole one piece shed, the first time Colin came out of his viv on his own onto me etc But for me one of the quirkiest was last night. I had colin on me and he was curled on my lap with his head in up periscope mode watching me. I gently put my finger up and stroked him under the chin and he let me for what seemed like ages. Every moment spent for me with either of them is special.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  19:37:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the best moment was Thursday night... I had all 4 periscoping me at the same time...

I have a special moment everyday with Venom where he Eskimo kisses me every morning :3

Char when she laid eggies and another time where she pooed on my b/f's belt :D

I remember rattles when he was still in is egg peaking out and I went to get another little one out from the hatching tub and he jumped out from his egg, bit me and then went back in, kinda jack in a box style.

And little red unnamed when he put his face up to an air hole and stuck his lounge out through it XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  12:14:59  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With Sprockett, probably when One of my mates who is a photographer fell in love with her and wanted to use her for a photoshoot, and she was a little angel, (complete poser) and didn't poo on anyone! Then she wrapped herself round me, and so he took a load with me too! :D

(Here's 2 pics from it!)

Gobo's has been when he first poked his head out of his viv, then immediately climbed up my arm and wrapped round my shoulders, then sat flicking his tongue in my ear!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  16:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pics

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  17:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wowiee! Lovely lady, lovely snakie :)

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000