New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Im picking up my first corn snake from the doncaster show and i was wondering what every one transports there snakes in? Im picking up a hatchling and will be travelling home by train which is about a 2 hour journey. I have been told by a pet shop to have the container in a poly box to keep him warm. Do you think this is necessary? If yes the smallest i can find 34x20x13.5cm which i think would need padding out with something to stop the container moving around too much.
Sorry for all the questions i just want the journey home to be as stress free as possible
Thanks for any help

0.1 Amel stripe corn snake
0.1 Normal Royal
1.0 Bearded dragon - Spam
Female mixed breed dog - Sunny

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could use a plastic takeaway container. Punch some air holes in it and tape a hand warmer on one side.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gel-Reusable-Hand-Warmer/dp/B000MU4IJ2

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, to be honest i think a snake only really needs heat to digest its meals and to keep warm but for 2 hours i think it would be fine without heat. this is my opinion and is what i did and he was fine but some others may tell you different. it depends on temps, in a snakes cage the cold end is room temp so anything like that is fine. you shouldn't need a poly box.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to train to Preston (from Edinburgh) to collect her. The breeder just had her in a small plastic takeaway-style box with airholes drilled through, with a small waterbowl and a piece of kitchen roll inside, which she then placed in a Tesco bag. I just put her in my purse (kept it unzipped, of course) and away we went. I was a bit paranoid of her not having enough air, but the breeder assured me that she would be fine..and she was! It's a 2.5-3 hour journey, so I reckon your new baby will be all right. It was hassle-free and I didn't have to risk freaking out the other passengers who might not have had a very good reaction to travelling with a snake!

PLEASE NOTE, however, that I am a complete beginner (only brought her home two weeks ago), so you might want to wait for some of the more experienced folk to reply, just in case :)

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:48:25  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine have just been in the "take away" container and on the passengr seat of my car! And when Hawkeye Picked up hers from my mate that was in the container on top of a pull string bag. She travlled for a good few hours and hers was fine.
I dnot think it matters that much, and as you wil be giving the snake a week to settle in it will over come any streses caused by travalling.
Corn snakes and many others are alot tougher than we give them credit for
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:50:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't bother with any extra heating, it'll be fine for the few hour journey :) also take an empty toilet roll tube cut into half lengthways, just in case its travelling tub has nowhere decent to hide :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great everyone, i did think a poly box may be a bit too much, prob more for the colder months
I think ill take a cotton bag to put the box in, dont want to freak any other passengers out
thanks for all the replys and ill post pics as soon as he is home

0.1 Normal Royal
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i wouldn't bother with any extra heating, it'll be fine for the few hour journey :) also take an empty toilet roll tube cut into half lengthways, just in case its travelling tub has nowhere decent to hide :)

good idea, iv never been to a rep show before so im not sure what breeders tend to put in the tub. Im sure i can find space in my bag for a toilet roll tube

0.1 Normal Royal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000