Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, names Ashley.
Bought my first ever corn snake two days ago. Tis a little yearling Aner corn; little cutie.

Called him Theodore, Theo for short =)

Will post photos up as soon as I have them (he's very shy at the moment).

Looking forward to chatting to everyone!!

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:23:26  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello Ashley, welcome to the forum..!
Remember to leave him for a week to settle down..!
As soon as the week is over.. Pics!
You're gonna love it here!
It's the corn snake's owner paradise..!

Electra

Edit: Here is the care sheet of the forum..!
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Edited by - mozacchio on 28/05/2010 11:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to worry, I've been on this site for weeks 'preparing' for when I finally got him. I'm letting him settle in and get used to the change of scenery. Although I nmust admit, the wait is killing me!

Ash

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:26:40  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashley. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to seeing pics. It's very exciting getting your first corn isn't it but be aware they are very addictive and I'm sure it won't be long before you are getting more. There is a great care sheet on here if you haven't already seen it and the search facitity is great if a little time consuming. However, searching for the answers to any queries you have is a good idea as you can discover other things you didn't even know you needed to know. Other than that, any questions you have, fire away. The guys and gals on here are REALLY friendly and helpful.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:27:37  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashma

Not to worry, I've been on this site for weeks 'preparing' for when I finally got him. I'm letting him settle in and get used to the change of scenery. Although I nmust admit, the wait is killing me!

Ash

I feel your pain..!
We've all been through this torture!
Think of the last day when you'll finally pick him up..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  12:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashma

Although I nmust admit, the wait is killing me!

Don't feel too bad! I, too, was watching the actual seconds count down to that long-awaited 8th day home. Tuesday finally rolls around, I spring up out of bed and ruuuun through to Ruby's tank, only to find.....BLUE EYES! Cheeky little shoestring -_-

But mega congrats on your new little Theo (what a tremendously excellent name!), can't wait for photos! :D

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  12:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to seeing pics when the week is up

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  13:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome to you and Theo
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  13:37:33  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. We all feel for you, that week to settle is SO l....o....n....g !!!!
Pics when you can please. Pleased you did your research.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  02:34:32  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  02:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashley (and Theo ), it is great that you have finally joined us 'officially', after lurking in the shadows for weeks ! You will have already seen what a great forum this is, with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. The bonus is you also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

You have obviously already had a good look around the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. You have been guided to the best place to look, which is the care sheet....it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am so glad you know about the settling in week, you are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is such an important way of getting Theo to de-stress and feel safe with you. If you think this is a hard week then just wait until you have had the chance to handle him and know what it is like....and then have to go through the 48hrs no handling after feeding and the sometimes week long no handling while they are 'blue' before they shed [;)!!

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Kdlang has already mentioned the first place to look, but I suspect that you have already been using it!! Just in case you havent discovered it yet , in the top right hand corner of the screen is the search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I dont know whether you have thought about doing this with Theo or not, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Glad you are going to post pics soon, it is actually an unwritten forum rule ! When the time comes and Theo is feeling a bit braver, this link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. I cant wait to see him ....you made a great choice getting an anery (but then I am slightly biased !!)

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  05:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi welcome tothe forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

jessejamez666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  11:36:58  Show Profile  Visit jessejamez666's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashley, welcome to the forum.
This is the best place on the net for advice and cool corn loving people.
I've only been on a month or so since getting Beetlejuice in January.
Once again welcome

Beetlejuice and Chewie

1.0.0 Normal-Beetlejuice
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-Chewie
1.0.0 Kingsnake-Booga
1.0.0 Royal Python- Pilsbury
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  13:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew! What a great response thanks guys!!
Well. Just to update, I'm a bit of night owl, don't sleep much and I've caught Theo sneaking around his faunarium in the middle of the night. He seems to be settling in quite well. Also, I never thought I'd be so amazed to watch a snake drink!!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I think I must know the care sheet off by heart now!!

Kellog - Luckily the shop I bought Theo from is very very good and provided me with a diary of all sheds, feeds, weights and lengths, so I can continue this, and was very thankful for!

Only 4 days to go! Then pics pics pics pics pics!

Oh yeah. Already thinking about which snake to buy next.....its starting already!!

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Phew! What a great response thanks guys!!
Well. Just to update, I'm a bit of night owl, don't sleep much and I've caught Theo sneaking around his faunarium in the middle of the night. He seems to be settling in quite well. Also, I never thought I'd be so amazed to watch a snake drink!!

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing some pictures.
I'm with you on watching them drink out of the dish it is pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000