New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  09:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically i am getting a viv stack soon, this is going in my 'viv room' as mentioned in another thread.

My missus has granted my permission that one viv can stay in the lounge. Ive got room for at least a 4' viv. So im thinking i might as well get as big a viv as i can. Then if i do get a monster corn or manage to pursuade the missus to let me have a Carpet Python :-) then ive got it.

But for the time being, Stella will be in it. Would she feel lost going from a 3' to a 4'?

And also is 4' too big for an adult corn?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you have a monster corn then she will prob feel a little lost in a 4', whats the rest of it? 4x?x?
4' is even big for carpets really, i had my pair in a 3x3, and they were 6' each and looked small in it!
How high can you go? Carpets like to climb, so you can have a narrower viv that is taller, that would be cool.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  10:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one ive got in mind is 4' x 18" x 18"

I could go tall i guess.

The carpet isnt a deffo, just an option for in a few years. But i could always upgrade then.

So should i stick to 36" x 18" x 18" for my corn? I can also got 42" x 18" x 18" (3.5 foot).

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would stick with a 36 personally, depends on what you want to go for really, a 36 is not a bad size for a carpet, but 36x18x18 is a bit small.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, i will probs just get a bigger one if and when i get a carpet.

Cheers

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  13:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaz

I have a VX48 (which is what you're talking about I guess from a previous thread) for my largest corn, which seems fine for him alone, so long as there are things to explore in there to break it up. The intention is to put my other male back with him after the 'horny' season ends, as they've always been together, and this is fine for both as you can put more hides in etc.

If your snake likes climbing then there's far more room for branches etc.
Also creating a good heat gradient is easier with a longer viv, if you're using bulbs.

Having said that VX36's are movable, as in you can pick one up quite easily...moving to the VX48...they are a two person job.
They're obviously a bit more expensive in terms of viv itself, larger heat mat, substrate, bigger water bowl (just kidding!) and more branches to treat.

Just a couple of further things to think about.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  14:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot simon.

Appreciate the further advice.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  04:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog is in a 42 x 18 x 18 (pics in 'Show us Your Set-ups') and he is 4'6" long. He is nearly 5yrs old and has probably stopped growing. As you will see it is quite well packed out with branches and his hides. But it is a big viv and he would be fine in a smaller one....it came with Silvesta (who is a foot smaller than Kellog and was lost in it ). As soon as I could I swapped them over and I know Silvesta was a lot happier once he was in Kellog's old 30 x 15 x 15 (odd size I know).

I know it doesnt help you much but it may be worth looking at the pics of their vivs now you know their lengths and seeing what you think.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  08:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was planning on getting monty a 4ft when he outgrew his 3ft (got to 3ft long) cuz i read somewere that to be honest if you can afford to buy a 4ft then give them it although a it all depends on the size of the corn. i still am going to get monty a 4ft viv no matter wha size he gets to as i want to spoil him rotten after his disapering act in november last year and turning up 2 months later in january i have spoiled him rotten and it will never stop

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000