eggs getting stuck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this has been covered but im new at this game.

I have 2 corn snakes, both were ment to be males but noticed them getting closer than normal. The now female snake has laid some eggs (2 sets of 3) she now hasnt layed anymore and i think they are stuck.

Any advise before i phone the vets

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also they have always been in the same tank and still are, please advise if this is healthy for them.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:28:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long ago where the eggs laid and do you know how old the female is?

I can't help much myself but these questions will help others to advise you on what to do.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:30:57  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please seperate them as close to immediately as possible, he will be pestering and stressing her, and that could be why she has stopped laying.

Try giving her a luke warm bath, the water needs to be no hotter than about 27 deg C.

if that doesn't work, get her to the vets for a calcium shot as soon as possible. How big is she length and weight wise, and how old is she?

~#~

They need to be in separate vivs from now on do a search on keeping snakes seperate, there's lots of reasons as to why.

~#~

Re-eggs

Have you got an incubator set up? if not, there should be a post on how to build your own. Its easy, and you need to get it done like now, if you haven't already!

Please make sure that you don't turn/tip/change the position of the eggs after 24 after laying, as this will drown them.

they need to be kept at between 23C and technically 30C, but apparently anything over 29C tends to make for asbo snakes!!

Where abouts do you live, as there may be one of us nearby with an incubator set up you can borrow.

Hope this helps!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:38:30  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is the sticky mouse is speaking of http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she is nearly 2, about 4 foot. I only have the 1 tank and heat mat etc, but can organise to get another. Pet shop told me if I didnt want the eggs I could just get rid of them but im startin to disgard pet shops advise. she last laid eggs about 2-3 weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i stay in livingston btw
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i put her in look warm water, she started pushing them (think there is 2) but stoped. will try her again later but failing that wil get her to vet tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:52:28  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, she's very young to be gravid, so just as a warning, if she is still eggbound, you may lose her. (not trying to be a scaremonger)

you need to get him out of there now.

Where is livingston? (i.e. south, midlands, north etc?) If it's near the south, I have a spare viv, heatmat and stat you can borrow till you get sorted.

It sounds a bit like she's given you off advice.

Have the eggs been in an incubator? if not, where are they, what state are they in (colour/size/dimpled etc?)

you need to get her to a vet now. a Herp vet, not a regular pet vet. Experience on here is that non herp vets make guesses, or won't touch snakes with a 10 ft barge pole.

You need to find out whether she still has eggs in her, and if she does you need to get them out asap.

I think Mike said that calcium shots work in the first 24-72 hours, but after that won't really induce laying. It may help to boost your snakes system tho.

if she still has some in her 2-3 weeks after laying the rest, she's probably going to be very ill.

Please keep us updated
xx
if you want someone realtime to talk to, you can email me or call me (pm me and I'll email you my number)

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  19:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eggs still in there after 2-3 weeks is a vets job.

After a certain amount of time they start to break down (rot basically) inside the snake, so as mouse said, she might be quite poorly now.

Eggbinding can be a very serious problem, and needs to be treated as soon as is sensible to do so.

Best of luck.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  19:29:40  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when you see the vets, as well as calcium boosts ask about an oxytocin jab. It may be too late to work after this amount of time but maybe still worth a try.
when did she last eat? if she's stopped, try to feed her a pinky every 4 or 5 days, and get some Reptoboost for her water. Also put Reptoboost in the water when you bathe her and make sure she drinks. She will need rinsing with clean water after she's been in this too.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 24/05/2010 19:31:43
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  19:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for all the advise, i got rid of the eggs she had they started off white and de-flated then they got more yellow. She has 2 eggs inside her i think, one almost came out but she stopped pushin so they went back in. Im so pi*~ed with the pet shop as they said throw the eggs out and the male and female would be fine together.

I have the male out just now but dont know what to do for tonight as i only have 1 heat mat and everywhere is shut now including the vets.

I will make sure she is sorted tomorrow, she almost had the 1st 1 out but i think its went hard inside her so will b a struggle to push it out
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  23:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you arent 100% then dont try and massage the eggs out, you could very easily hurt her, which will most likely end up with her dying.
The male does need to be separated, but if you have nothing to keep him in, then he cant stay out in the cold.
The best advise so far is the warm bath to start with, then make an appointment with the vets as soon as you can, they will start with an oxytocin jab and a calcium jab, but i doubt that will work, usually its only effective in the first few days of laying.
Have the Jab, if she doesnt lay in 48 hours, then take her back, she may need surgery to remove the eggs, its a last resort, and will leave her infertile permanently.

My advise is dont go back to the shop that gave you advise, their advise has potentially led to the snake being left in a life threatening position. their advice was execptionally poor, even by pet shop standards.
As mentioned, there are many reasons why you shouldnt co habit, specifically male and female animals, that applies to all animals, not just snakes.
Also have a look in the breeding section, corns are very easy to breed and the eggs require virtually no interference once setup correctly.
I wish you luck

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  23:51:03  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck mate, I hope it turns out ok, and that she gets better *crosses fingers for you*

Keep us updated.

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  00:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to get 1 out by having her in water, i helped it out a little. She seems better, there is still 1 in so hopefully in the moring she wil have pushed it down far enough to push it out.

Thanks for all ur help its much appreciated

will update
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  09:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she is still the same, seems happy enough but still has an egg stuck. She hasnt pushed it down enough to start pushin it out. dont wanna force her but really need it out the day.

Any other suggestions apart from warm water, should i try and feed her anythin as she hasnt eaten in bout 4 weeks
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  10:09:26  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the egg is blocking her, she may not eat anything, as it would just back up inside her.

Get the vets to give her a calcium/hormone jab.

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: