Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  11:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I know i havent posted again for ages, been really busy. Still pop on once or twice a week for a flick through the posts.

The last few times that i have handled stella, i have noticed a vibrating feeling in my hands when she goes through my fingers, almost like a creaking.

Really hard to describe. Like if you twisted a rope really tight, it would creak?

She seems fine in herself, healthy, feeding, shedding, tongue flicking etc.

Is this just because she is getting bigger? She is my first corn snake so obviously dont know what to expect as she grows. She is about 28" long now and 100g approx.

I was thinking that maybe its just because she is growing, as she squeezes through my fingers and wraps around my hand its her skin creasing? Whereas when i had her she was really small and alot thinner.

I know this sounds like a really weird post but hoping that someone can tell me its normal.

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  12:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on folks, 16 views and no reply?

If someone thinks that she may be ill then i want to get her to a vets.

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 19/05/2010 13:30:58
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:17:59  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry son was looking elsewhere. My colin does the same thing mate its natural I think as there is nowt wrong with him its almost like running a wet rubber band thru your fingers int it

cheers

steve

Editted to add: My own views on it is as our snakes get bigger they get more assertive towards us. I think the vibrating is a precursor to a rattle and as such is the snake asserting itself over you. When Colin does it I just ignor him and pick him up. Incidently I have only noticed him doing it recently and he is behaving more assertively towards me.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 19/05/2010 14:23:49
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:26:52  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure but i no sometimes when mine go through my hands they kinda judder a bit if my hands are a bit damp or sweaty. Maybe you are noticing it more now that she is getting bigger and its a tighter squeeze to get through your fingers

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replys.

I think thats what it is yeh.

Its exactly how you describe elament, like a wet rubber band.

Hadnt noticed it when she was smaller, only recently.

Thanks alot

Gaz

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 19/05/2010 14:52:36
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:57:23  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome mate.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  15:06:25  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Colin is exactly the same I think now he has got to the magic metre long he thinks he is a big boy now and can scare me lol. He is only getting away with it now as he is due to shed tonight so i am leaving him alone otherwise I just ignor it and pick him up and after a few seconds he stops. One thing I will say is I havent been handling him as much lately so that may have something to do with it. By the way I went thru the same tail thing with Xena as you did with stella your posts on that were very helpful cheers mate.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  08:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers. No worries mate, when did you have the tail problem? Recently? Hope everything is okay now.

Stellas has healed perfectly and i honestly dont think you would know that she had lost the tip if you didnt already know.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  12:19:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, her last shed sorted it out she had a bit of retained shed on the tip of her tail that just wouldnt come off no matter what i did. It eventually went black but when she shed she had a brand new tail tip you wouldnt have known anything had happened.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  13:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh thats the same story here, amazing how they sort it out themselves!

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  17:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saracen does it and I always assumed it was like a mini rattle. When I open his viv I have to move slowly as he's still a bit skittish so I let him sniff me and then touch him lightly with a finger to let him know I'm there. That's when I feel that weird juddering. Once I've picked him up, it stops. Twilight has never done it and is much more relaxed being picked up anyway.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It feels like that sometimes when Eugene is running through my hands. It almost feels like his "outer skin" is moving against his "inner skin". If that makes any sense at all!!!! lol
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  03:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have never known Silvesta do it but Kellog does. Used to do it a lot when I first got him, then stopped....but it restarted again when we got Silvesta, I wonder whether the smell of another male snake in the house makes him want to re-assert his dominance.

With him it is more a twitching/vibrating feel. He sometimes does it if you touch him when he doesnt expect it, but other times he can be sliding quite happily over you and then start for no particular reason. I have only noticed him do it once in the viv....immediately following a shed and I wondered if it was due to the feel of the substrate etc on his new skin....

It does sound as though it is something snakes do Gaz, but I am glad you asked the question as it is good to hear that other peoples snakes do the same things as Kellog. Wonder why Silvesta doesnt do it???

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  16:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot for the further replies. Im glad its nothiing to worry about anyway.

Strange how some do it and some dont though.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000