Herp Nursery 2 Incubator?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  20:16:56  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any body know where I can buy a Herp Nursery 2 Incubator cheap? Can't really afford them at their top prices, but I want what's best for the eggs... thanks guys :)
Taz x

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  20:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you not thought of making one? Many people on this site make their own and the eggs do very well.

Edit: Heres a link to a how to. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8724

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 18/05/2010 20:47:22
Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  21:50:11  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, I have made one, I have 9 eggs, and they are in that, but I just think if I had the proper equipment it would help them. I keep fretting :s first time I've ever done it, really don't know what's best, so I just hope! :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  23:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I've read, many people get better results from homemade stuff.
My last batch of eggs I incubated I had a 100% hatch rate and that was with a poly box.
The previous ones to that were duck eggs and I incubated them inside an old fridge freezer that had a reflector lamp to produce heat, out of the 24 that I incubated I had 19 live, but only 16 hatched successfully. When I spoke to a proper duck breeder she was amazed at how many I hatched.

So long as the poly box is put together ok you'll get results just as good as the 'proper' incubators but for a fraction of the price, plus the extra chuffed feeling you get because you built the thing that they're incubating in.

I have also incubated successfully in a fish tank in the past as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  18:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just because the 'proper' incubator costs vastly more than making your own doesnt mean that its going to work vastly better than making your own.
a lot of people i know who incubate eggs, and there are a few, use poly boxes, and 99% they get a 100% hatch rate.
Seeing as nothing is 100%, especially incubating eggs, thats pretty good.
Effectivly all you are doing is keeping the eggs at a certain temperature, and as close ideal humidity as possible. The ready amde incubators keep the temp as steady as a good (habistat) pulse stat, and the humidity is a good as you make it anyway, so to be honest, you are not gaining anything by paying all that money.

Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  21:43:17  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
eek, we've just had a whopper of a problem with the poly box we had. The heat mat was exposed to the water, melted the polystyrene, and electricuted a friend of ours! Oops! The mat itself was smoking, sparks coming off... We've put the eggs in the viv with the mother, added water etc. to raise humidity. Will this hurt the mother? We're now hoping for the best. We're gonna need a miracle to save these eggs! :(
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  08:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats not good, how did that happen?
You wont get the best incubation in the viv, the temps will fluctuate a lot!
where are you in the world? if worst come to the worst, i cna incubate for you

Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  19:23:09  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, thank you loads, but we've just got a herp nursery.. We had to pay alot for it, but I want what's best for em so it's worth it :) We've put it in there... No idea how the poly box went wrong, but definitely wasn't keeping them in there! Wondering, how do I increase the humidity. The herp nursery says the humidity is at about 80%. I've put some damp tissue paper in with them, and the bottom of the incubator is wet. Should I put a bowl of water in? What would you suggest? Thank you for your time :) x
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:13:20  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oooh, that's not good :S

Good luck with whatever you get to replace it.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  08:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, the poly box went wrong because of something you did. I have been using them for years with no problems at all.
The herpnursery is good, but humidity is something i have heard a lot of problems about. Good luck with them though, i hope it come together and is worth the buy.

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  16:50:12  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, a bowl of water in the bottom may help. A good plan would be to put some sphagnum moss on top of them, and keep that moist.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

tupolev
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  13:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys I use both a polystyrene box and a Herp Nursery, I find both good, but Herp Nursery keeps the temp and humidity better I find I am currently incubating corn eggs and out of about 24 ,22 look good nearly 4 weeks into the period.I think its a case of what works for you.Best wishes Charlie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000