Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:21:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice addition mike and giving some great tips and advice there

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:50:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not to but in but if you do up the hot end temps anyway should the cool end temps go up a bit along with it?

I have to ask though, how big are their poo's? I imagine a shovel is needed but it probably isn't as drastic. What substrate do you use as well? Do they do well to live on the same stuff as corns as I imagine Aubiose is the only way to go with them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 16/05/2010 13:10:22
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:54:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Not to but in but if you do up the hot end temps anyway should the cool end temps go up a bit along with it?

I have to ask though, how big are their poo's? I imagine a shovel is needed but it probably isn't as drastic. What substrate do you use as well? Do they do well to live on the same stuff as corns as I imagine Aubiose is the only way to go with them.

Not necesarilly, cool end temps should be between 27-29 apparently. Adult BCI's poos are probably similar to that of a large dog and they can live on the same sort of substrate as corns since they don't need a specific humidity. 50%-60% humidity is fine although you can up it a bit when they come into shed. No more than 70% according to the care sheet.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 13:55:15
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My cool end fluctuates between 25 and 27, got small little poos at the moment from mine, but Marshy is only little.
He's kept on Aubiose as are all but 1 of my snakes, not had a problem with shedding as yet and had 2 nice sheds off him, couldn't honestly say what the humidity is as I don't have or use a functioning hygrometer.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:29:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think normal humidity in this country is around 50% this will vary depending on how close you are to the coast and the time of year, but you don't normly need to add anything unless they have a bad shed, or atleast that is what i have read anyway.

I know in that in the wild they are often found in or around water, and have read that you should give a large enough water bowl for them to have a little soak so just wondered wether any of you guys bathe your boas other than for shedding issues etc.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 15:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I tried to Give Marshy a dip once, he REALLY didn't like it and was using his mouth to hold onto everything he could to make sure he didn't get wet.
He's never done much else but put the tip of his snout into his water bowl either.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to give my boas a washing up bowl, but they do like to sit in it for along periods, and theypoopin it too, which is lovely!
The size of poo depends on the amount of food eaten, a large rabbits for example would mean a fairly substantial poo!
I give them a large dog bowl now for their water, especially as the larger snakes are heavy enough to tip even a full washing up bowl over, and i can assure you, it makes a mess!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:07:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I tried to Give Marshy a dip once, he REALLY didn't like it and was using his mouth to hold onto everything he could to make sure he didn't get wet.
He's never done much else but put the tip of his snout into his water bowl either.

I guess like everything else its just down to the individual snake.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  17:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My word!
She is huge!
And built like a tank!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  17:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

He actually went through a patch a while ago where he was VERY owner defensive, as Mike said above they are very intelligent snakes and his would often head back to him if they felt uncomfortable because they knew they were safe with him. What Marshy was doing was striking out at anyone that came near me while I was handling him, very weird little snake, he ended up coming out of it when I had my step-daughters boyf (who has no fear of getting tagged) start handling him as well, he's now quite happy to get handled by anyone that is comfortable with him.

As you said, all snakes are different and do develop different little foibles. It makes them much more fun.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  17:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

He actually went through a patch a while ago where he was VERY owner defensive, as Mike said above they are very intelligent snakes and his would often head back to him if they felt uncomfortable because they knew they were safe with him. What Marshy was doing was striking out at anyone that came near me while I was handling him,

That is one of the most adorable things I have heard! I pictures they as not really caring as they don;t see people as a threat but seeing children and dogs as food and trying to strangle them, I guess it's all those stories.

Arn't you guys kinda scared of them after hearing some of those stories though? Like one guy had his for years and then it just randomly bit him in the face. I know it's rare but do you guys take any kind of special prevcautions around them? I've heard stuff like your not supposed to handle them if your by yourself and to make sure when you do handle them to have someone else in the room incase something bad happens.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  17:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be perfectly honest mine is to small to do any damage to anything that's bigger than a rat at the moment, but I do know that I'm able to judge how my snakes are and a guesstimate on if they're irritated or not, so that should rule out any risks of getting bitten.
Just remember one of the rules to go by when handling a snake, regardless of the size it's always easier to unravel them from the tail first.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, i know i am gonna get bitten badly at some point, it kinda comes with having big snakes, whether it is my mistake or the snakes mistake, i dont know, but i am not perfect and will make the mistake at some point, it happens, i can only take the precautions i can, if i still get bit, well, its most likely to be my fault!
Dont get me wrong, if she bites me i will cry, most likely like a little girl! cos it is gonna hurt like nothing else!
Generally, if something is over 12ft then 2 people need to be present just incase, big burms for example are stupid strong, and really heavy.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

To be honest, i know i am gonna get bitten badly at some point, it kinda comes with having big snakes, whether it is my mistake or the snakes mistake, i dont know, but i am not perfect and will make the mistake at some point, it happens, i can only take the precautions i can, if i still get bit, well, its most likely to be my fault!
Dont get me wrong, if she bites me i will cry, most likely like a little girl! cos it is gonna hurt like nothing else!
Generally, if something is over 12ft then 2 people need to be present just incase, big burms for example are stupid strong, and really heavy.

your right there mike,never mind how tame you think a snake of any type is,it's still got a mind of its own,my cali king was so soft i used to let my 8 year old girl play with her until she bit me,just go's to show you never know when its coming and if its coming from a burm,boa ect you could be looking at stitches (of laughter)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  19:32:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do have to say I am woried about how many of these types of pets seem to go to people because they think it's cool and don't really know what they are getting into but you sir are a good man :) I wish people thought more like you when getting these kinds of pets. As soon as they get bit, they get rid of it and sit there and complain about how it's an unsafe animal. They seem to think that if you have a cat then your going to get scratched but don't apply the same to a snake.

Is your new girl a different morph/species to the smaller one as she looks greyer.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  19:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wont be laughing! unless she bites someone else! Its gonna do some damage though!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is your new girl a different morph/species to the smaller one as she looks greyer.

Yes they're different species of Boa, the smaller one is a BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) and the larger a BCC (Boa Constrictor Constrictor).

I have to say it is pretty amazing just how many of these type of snakes, not necesarilly just boas but mainly Boas and Burms that you see up for adoption/sale because they have "outgrown their welcome" so to speak.

Edit: Sta~ple i'm liking the new sig.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 21:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be honest, i know i am gonna get bitten badly at some point, it kinda comes with having big snakes, whether it is my mistake or the snakes mistake, i dont know, but i am not perfect and will make the mistake at some point, it happens, i can only take the precautions i can, if i still get bit, well, its most likely to be my fault!........

This /\

I've been tagged by Marshy a while back, was very light and only drew couple small dots of blood, but that was completely my fault.
In fact aside from Trio all the other times that I've been tagged were my fault as well.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:30:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes they're different species of Boa, the smaller one is a BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) and the larger a BCC (Boa Constrictor Constrictor).

I have to say it is pretty amazing just how many of these type of snakes, not necesarilly just boas but mainly Boas and Burms that you see up for adoption/sale because they have "outgrown their welcome" so to speak.

Edit: Sta~ple i'm liking the new sig.

Are they really called constrictor constrictor? Sounds like someone got a bit lazy when coming up with a name XD I guess the live in the same area/environment as each other then if they can live together and can mate with each other?

It's sad that someone would want to sell their pet because it's too big you would think they would know about the size as that's kinda of the whole main appeal for some people but then I guess when you actually look at it full grown it's a different story :( it's like the whole fad with the micro pigs now as there is actually no such thing as a true micro pig and then some end up growing huge and people don't want them :/

How big will she actually grow an most importantly, have you named her yet ;)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are loads of variants of the Boa Constrictor theme, mine is a suriname boa, of true red tails there are not that many, theres the surinam, the guyana, and there are more but i cant think of any right now!
The BCi is a Boa constrictor Imperator, although they are boa constrictors, they are not known as 'true' red tails.
The imperators and such dont generally get as big as true reds, although a few have hit 10 foot, generally the res tails will hit ten as a male and about 12 as female.
People are too short sighted sometimes, other times they simply do not do the research, they buy a snake because it is pretty and a few years down the line, once it has eaten the neighbours cat, and a few pet rabbits, they kinda think, oh dear, hes grown too big, or 'i didnt know they get this big'.
Eventually i would imagine she will get to about 12 foot, maybe, maybe even bigger, i dont know yet! I have named her no, i doubt i will to be honest, when i get her out i am too strained to mention a name anyway, i just about mutter 'you heavy b*tch' when i get her out!and thats through clenched teeth!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000