Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  21:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This little lady arrived today, Female Suriname Red Tail BCC, i cant even begin to guess her weight, but in the region of 3 - 4 stone, shes massive and really heavy!
Shes about 9 foot long, and very very well built!

The smaller one in the pic is 7 foot, and 2 stone! she is dwarfed!

Edited by - lee2308 on 17/05/2010 22:34:25

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  21:32:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Man your being a bit risky putting it on your bed arn't you? I know when I put Venom on my bed and he wen't all over it but man, if that thing went you would need to do more than change the covers XD She's lovely though. Is she friendly?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  21:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, she 'went' before she arrived, fortunatley, cos i dont have a shovel to hand! shes awesome! shes is really soppy, puppy tame!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still cant my head round how big she is! its incredible!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:27:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha you're shovel talk has remind me that I need a new poopy scoopy :3 Does she live with the other ones? What size viv does she live it? What does she eat? I imagine wabbits XD I bet you can smell when she does go though XD How old is she? She is a beauty though.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.. she's huge I really want a boa. :')

Nice one Mike, good find! Is she really as dark as that in real life or is that just the pic?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  22:44:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Shes gorgeous, I should be getting a boa in the next couple of weeks. Will be a common BCI though so probs won't go that big.

I can't believe how big her head is.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bci's wont get quite that big, She isnt that dark, the pics were taken on the phone so they arent that great, if i get a nice sunny day i will take her outside and get some good pics with the big camera!
What you getting Danny? I got a nice 4.5ft bci i am selling, she only bites perhaps once or twice a minute, she doesnt hiss for long, shes great!
I will get some pics for you! lol

The one thing this forum really needs, Smilies!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed a few questions, she 6 years old, she will be eating rabbits, but is on rats at the mo, a giant a week, which is less than i expected, as apparently she grew a foot in 2 months! She lives with the other big Bci, its a 5x2 viv with a 60 watt heat bulb at one end.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Bci's wont get quite that big, She isnt that dark, the pics were taken on the phone so they arent that great, if i get a nice sunny day i will take her outside and get some good pics with the big camera!
What you getting Danny? I got a nice 4.5ft bci i am selling, she only bites perhaps once or twice a minute, she doesnt hiss for long, shes great!
I will get some pics for you! lol

The one thing this forum really needs, Smilies!

Ahh i'd be tempted if it weren't my first boa and you through them motorbike gloves into the deal.

Im getting a 4 month old Common BCI 50% poss het sharp strain albino.

I have the RUB set up but whilst your here mind if i quiz you lol.

What do you have your temps at in the warm end? I have it set up at 30.c at the minute as i read ona few care sheets that a temp of 29-31 was ideal in the warm end, but its always good to get another owners views especially one with the sort of experience and knowledge which you have.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:27:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I missed a few questions, she 6 years old, she will be eating rabbits, but is on rats at the mo, a giant a week, which is less than i expected, as apparently she grew a foot in 2 months! She lives with the other big Bci, its a 5x2 viv with a 60 watt heat bulb at one end.

That seems small for two of them or do they like small spaces? Are these snake prone to eating each other? Not going to lecture you I promise as I know nothing about these snakes, I am just generally very curious about the big beauties.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is a stunning snake.

quote:

.......The one thing this forum really needs, Smilies!

Hit the reply to topic button instead of using the quick reply box.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys need to be careful, you'll give me an ego! I am not as experienced as everyone seems to think! i have been doing it a while yes, but most of the time was 20 years ago, and things were very different then, i have had to learn everything all over in the last 2 years! I have only really had this lot of getting on 2 years, before that was on and off, then when i was young for a couple of years!
I spent a lot of time researching, and have been quite fortunate, that with all my animals, and that of friends i have been able to learn quickly what is good and what isnt!
However, boas are a new subject for me, i didnt keep boas before as i always considered them too big, but now, its different, i feel confident enough to keep them!
30 is fine for the hot end, dont give the little one too much space, keep it nice and small, the last thing you want is a snappy bci, eben for small snakes, they have some pretty serious teeth on them and can give a surprising bite!
A good hide is a must, on the heat, ideally for boas you want air heat, so a ceramic or a bulb, ceramics should 100% be guarded, Boas are very intelligent compared to a ratsnake, they know if something is bad, and they do get to recognise you, they also know if you are not happy with them it makes them uneasy and they will head for something solid. Mine, if someone is holding her who is uncomfortable with her, she knows, and she heads straight for me, because she knows she is safe with me.
I think you will be surprised just how much you can see in a boas face, you can see their temper, the are almost predictable, but not so much that they cant make you jump, they can do that well!
To start with though, a heatmat is fine, this is where dimmers come into their own, you can do a mat and bulb off one stat no problems.
All they need is a hide and a water bowl, they are not so timid as corns and royals, and will quite happily come out and bask, or cool down, whichever they choose.
One thing to be aware of, well 2 things, boas are prone to abcesses, especially around the mouth, i have one froma mate who has an abcess, its a pain to deal with and can be quite expensive, fortunately, Kate is pretty good with stuff like that, i hate ***** stuff, i cant stomach it, but she can, so we drained it, and have treated it, but they are common, something to be aware of, if treated early, it can be an easy fix, just keep an eye out for abnormal swellings, and they probably will go off their food too!
secondly, impactions are fairly common, again, easy to spot though, and to self treat, the signs are basically food going in but not coming out, when a boa drops one, trust me, you notice it! when she doesnt, and shes had 2 or 3 feeds, then its time for a warm bath, thats a good one for loosening the bowels! failing that, its vet time.
Re reading your post, 29 is a bit chilly for them, thats kinda hibernation temps, although they dont specifically hibernate, they have a temperature cycle, where the nights cool down considerably, but the days are still hot, this is also the trigger for breeding, so for an all day all night temp, 29 is a little low, low 30's are better, the warmer they are, the better they digest, and the better they feed.
To be honest, until she is proven, the hets are worthless, too many people claim hets these days, because they are worth more, in theory, you put her(him) to another het and nothing happens, then you got nothing to go back on, the seller will just say its a 'possible' het, knowing full well that its het for nothing.
Its kinda like me saying to you, her you go, heres a boa for you, she is 50% het albino 50% het anery, so 50% het snow, now you take her, and because she is possible het snow, you pay 150 quid for her, thinking, if this proves out, its a bargain, and it is, but if it doesnt, then you are about 100 quid down, if the breeder is trustworthy, then its a risk that may be worth taking, if its from some bloke from down the pub, then i wouldnt take any faith in the hets at all!
A 100% het snake is not massively more than a possible, and you are guaranteed to have those hets, which is where paperwork comes in, thats your guarantee, if the snake is put to a snow, and you only get normals out, then she is not het for anything, seeing as if you put a het for snow to a snow, you will get 50% snows, in theory, you will pretty much deffo get at least 1 snow, so getting nothing means the breeder is wrong, and in theory should honor the deal and refund you the money for the snake, a buy back, thats what i would do for sure.
At the end of the day, when i a producing baby boas, any hets will be completely disclosed, and if i dont know, then they are not hets, i will only give paperwork for a snake that i know 100% is a het.

Sorry i rambled a bit, get some pics up on here of you little one when you get it!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah yes! coolio

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  23:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:

That seems small for two of them or do they like small spaces? Are these snake prone to eating each other? Not going to lecture you I promise as I know nothing about these snakes, I am just generally very curious about the big beauties.

Boas a funny creatures, they like to have space, but they dont like too much, a bit like any of the snakes really, a 5 foot viv is plenty big enough, even for 2 of them.
Despite her being so big, she doesnt take up a lot of space, it might surprise you that a near on 10 foot snake can fit into a space maybe 2ft square, comfortably too, and seeing as the viv is 15 square feet, there is a surprising amount of space.
Again, they are not very very active snakes, they do like to climb as little uns, but the bigger they get the less they climb, they know that they are more likely to break branches etc.
As for eating each other, no, they are absolutely fine in together, yes there are scare stories, but thats all they are really, corns are slightly different, there is much more documented proof that young ones are cannibalistic, not so much on the boas though, although to be fair, i wouldnt keep any young snakes in a group, adults though, well, i think everyone knows my views on co-habitting!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  00:00:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that mike. So i could maybe go a little warmer than 30. I was thinking about getting another heatmat for the cool end. Its around 23.c in the day time at the min but drops a little of a night.

As soon as its big enough for a viv i would be getting a ceramic to heat the viv as i know with the larger bodied snakes its better to have bulbs rather than mats.

Edit - Kehhlyr, what is your temp range in marshmallows tank?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 00:40:01
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  04:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My temps range from about 28 up to a chopping hot 35c in the lovely hot end. The air temp drops to about 23c at night, surface temp in the cool end drops to about 25c.
Unfortunately this is assuming there are no windows open, Marshmallows viv is on the corner of a 3-way crossing so to speak in the hallway, so a couple windows open at either end of the flat can make a difference to his viv as he'll have any draught going past him. Glass viv isn't helping.
He's only in a little tiny 2ft job at the moment, but his new place is getting strengthened for moving time in about 6-8 weeks which will also mean a total re-adjust of all his heating setups.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:26:34  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil, so deffinitely worth upping the warm end temps then. Gonna sort out the cool end heatmat in a bit.

Edit: is 35 not a little hot? I looked on the jnb boa website and they recommend a temp range between 29-33 so i was thinking of putting mine around 32.c

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 11:28:18
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I odnt give mine a heat mat at the cool end, but syaing that, the room temperature is 27 degrees most of the time so the air is quite warm.
Warm end temps can be what youwould think are quite high, but bear in mind Boas are tropical, and the temps can get quite warm, into the 40's, so they can, and do like it nice and toasty.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:45:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My room can get a little nippy, normal around 21-23 of a daytime but drops to around 18c in the night time so its deffinitely worth me using a heat source for the cool end.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My warm end temps are kept slightly hotter than 'recommended', depending on where the info comes from. As he's only in the little viv at the moment, that's what is keeping me a nice gradient.
He's in his tiny little 2x1x15, the heat mat is nearly a foot square (cant remember if its a 15x11 or 11x11) and that spans 2 different vivs.
I'm waiting for my beardies to get bigger and leave home, then he can have his new viv which will be easier to setup heat sources and controllers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000