Nerves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok so my oh got sid out again today and we sat on the sofa i put my hand out and sid came over to me got onto my hand but had real problems moving over me cause my hands went clammy ..... its not that im scared or nervous of him its the fact i dont want to hurt him by squeezing to tight if he decides to shoot off..... does anyone know how i can get this out of my head and stop my hand clamming up..... x

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mind over matter! Thats all the advice I can give. You must believe that you aren't going to hurt him in order to relax. The more nervous you are, the more likely to grab him too hard if he moves quick.

Breathe slowly, and imagine the perfect handling session before getting him out.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  22:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks.....we are going to try again tomorrow and see what happens...... he will quite happily tolerate both me and colin..... and hasn't struck out yet..... so fingers crossed x

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I sort of had this issue, although not a scared one, just that Elijah is super duper fast and I have strong hands, after a few words of wisdom from someone on here, rather than just touching him to let him know I am there, I just straight pick him up in the middle to support the weight, he normally goes to zip away so I just let his body slip from the tips of my fingers to the palm of the hand se he is being gripped by the palm and fleshy part of the finger.And if he gets alot of his body away I use the other under him to rest on then calms down and I can raise him properly.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  04:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some notes about handling and hopefully by reading them they might be able to put your mind at rest about not hurting Sid....

I must begin by saying that I am not experience with handling hatchlings or little ones, but I have had an adult that was not handled at all well by his previous owner so had to ‘start from the beginning’ with him, the way I would imagine you would with a hatchling.

I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, so every morning...just airing it and checking for poo, but it is a really good way to spread my smell around their viv. Also, when I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Neither of my corns come onto my hand...wanting to be picked up. It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. I know some of the forums' corns do this, but not all...so dont worry if Sid doesn't. When you do pick him up try not to come at him from above, but rather scoop him up from the sides....that will scare him less.

Very calmly and confidently scoop him up, using both hands and being careful to support him so he isnt dangling. Hold him firmly and gently as he WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for him and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Hold him fairly firmly but gently to bring him out of the viv. Once you have him out sit with him (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case she decides to poo on you) and just let him run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. He will seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both he and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements. Dont have him out for more than 5 minutes, and return him gently and calmly to the viv. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in his behaviour as he gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As he gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You will get used to how small he is and begin to realise that you cant hurt him that easily and therefore your worries about that will come under control. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have him out and allow him to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity.

I think the most important piece of advice for you is that he will be able to tell you are scared of hurting him and that will make him more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will he trust you.

Just remember that corns are a lot hardier than we give them credit for, so relax and realise that you can do this without damaging him....and you will soon find your hands will stop being clammy and your head will be in the right place .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 17/05/2010 04:06:02
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  09:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replys x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  11:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys i think your missing the point, this isn't about picking sid up out of viv.

quote:
had real problems moving over me cause my hands went clammy ..... its not that im scared or nervous of him its the fact i dont want to hurt him by squeezing to tight if he decides to shoot off..... does anyone know how i can get this out of my head and stop my hand clamming up

^^^^^ this is about clammy hands nothing else.

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0.0 Corn Snake
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  14:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pain4l

Ok guys i think your missing the point, this isn't about picking sid up out of viv.

quote:
had real problems moving over me cause my hands went clammy ..... its not that im scared or nervous of him its the fact i dont want to hurt him by squeezing to tight if he decides to shoot off..... does anyone know how i can get this out of my head and stop my hand clamming up

^^^^^ this is about clammy hands nothing else.

Her hands are clammy because she is nervous of hurting the snake, so handling tips are what she needs too calm down and get over the blip.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  14:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually have noticed that my hands are clammy 90% of the day.... so dont think nerves are whats the problem..... also if it is nerves then faking it wouldnt work because sweating is a response that cant be controlled so no matter how confident u are u would still sweat.... and my problem isn't getting him out of the viv.... its allowing him to slide over my hands without the juddering x

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  15:11:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emma81louise

actually have noticed that my hands are clammy 90% of the day.... so dont think nerves are whats the problem..... also if it is nerves then faking it wouldnt work because sweating is a response that cant be controlled so no matter how confident u are u would still sweat.... and my problem isn't getting him out of the viv.... its allowing him to slide over my hands without the juddering x

Actually sweating can be stopped, you its all mind over matter,l if you tell yourself you are confident you will become confident and then you won't seat as much.

But you could try some hand sanitizer gel before you pic him up, this dries your hands.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  16:25:37  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could I suggest a tiny sprinkle of talc...baby or non-scented? You could try putting some on an old sock or something in with your snake for a couple of days to get it used to the smell. Your hands should feel silky and smooth by using some powder. With a bit of luck it will just gently glide over your hands and through your fingers. Lets hope sweat won't clog things up!! Fingers crossed.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  16:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the suggestions.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: