Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 First clutch of Eggs..Advice needed..mikerichards?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  13:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to say it, but dont put too much stock in what he told you, its not quite right, because its been so long she maynot lay the rest, the jab is only really good in the first 48 hours or so. Give her a warm bath also, keep her in there for a while, its gonna stress her, but its the best non invasive method for dislodging stuck things! eggs poo, the lot, it may help her lay. I wouldnt count on the viability of the eggs though, its been a while.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  13:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above, my girly got all the jabs, bells and whistles, and still didn't lay.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  16:42:25  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really hope she gets them all out. Good luck.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  09:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cadman

I have just recently gone through the same thing as you I didnt know the sex of my snakes untill she had 4 eggs but now they are great.
1 thing is do not mother the female and take out the male, feed her every 2 days as she will need to get her strengh up now.
When she refuses the mouse (pinnky, fluff) dont feed her for 5 days then go back to your usuall routine.
I have a post on here just look for amyoli01 I have had some great advide in detail about my eggs.
Hope all goes well and keep us informed please.
Just to let you know my female had to go to the vet she had an x-ray and the jabs, you female might be egg bound if she has not laid any but looks like she could my advise is to get the x-ray to be sure, otherwise she might die.
good luck and remember to remove the male out.

Edited by - n/a on 15/05/2010 09:30:43
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  11:12:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You should never feed a snake every 2 days, that is really bad advice.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 15/05/2010 11:13:03
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  12:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, deffo no, do not feed every 2 days, they cant digest that fast and you will give them an impaction. Not good really.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  18:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does sound horribly like she's egg bound..

I'd try bathing like what Mike said.

Edited by - hillzi on 15/05/2010 18:43:46
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:03:52  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good luck, hope she will lay the eggs ok, and for her to be alright
but i agree with mike (of course) and bath her.

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  22:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

feed her every 2 days as she will need to get her strengh up now.
When she refuses the mouse (pinnky, fluff) dont feed her for 5 days then go back to your usuall routine.

Can I just ask....

Why is it, after myself and others repeatedly told you NOT to feed your snake like this, you are now telling other people to do it?

I seriously hope you haven't just ignored our "great" advice and are feeding your own snake this way.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  05:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

feed her every 2 days as she will need to get her strengh up now.

Can I just ask....

Why is it, after myself and others repeatedly told you NOT to feed your snake like this, you are now telling other people to do it?

I seriously hope you haven't just ignored our "great" advice and are feeding your own snake this way.

I must agree with SexyBear on this. Cadman, please read through the thread about Amy's snake (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9422&whichpage=5, checkout pages 5 and 6) and follow the advice WE have given her, not the advice that SHE has given you.

I really do hope that the jabs have worked and that you have managed to give her a bath to help ease the egg-binding....but I agree with what the others have said, I am afraid that you have to be very realistic on what the outcome of this might be ....but I do hope I am wrong.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 17/05/2010 05:49:39
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  14:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks All for you replies/advice.
I took her to the Vet who gave her 2 jabs - one calcium, and the other one I forget!!???
He also squeezed one egg out.
The snake has since passed another 2 eggs and is now much more lively, and last night took a pinkie.
However, when I run my fingers down her belly, she still feels like she is carrying eggs? But I suppose this could just be her muscles?
Should I just keep an eye on her?? If she was egg bound, would she still be really slow??
As for the eggs.....
out of the 11, 2 went mouldy which I took to mean were dead, so I threw these away.
The others look fine, but some still appear 'pinched'.
I have tissue on top of the eggs which I am spraying once a day, but each time the tissue is dry again.
A friend recommended taping the lids shut to get the humididty up?? Good, or bad idea?
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  05:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am afraid I cant help you with any of your questions Cadman, but I am so pleased to hear that the vet was able to squeeze one egg out and that she has layed 2 more. The fact that she has eaten is even more encouraging.

I do hope that she doesnt have more eggs in her, the poor snake has been through so much....and so have you.

I am sure those who have the experience will be on soon to help you out.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  08:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats good news, hopefully she will not have any more eggs now, so fingers crossed. Its good that shes feeding, but you need to give her more than a pinky, give her her normal sized meal.
Incubator wise, the egg tub does need to be sealed to keep the moisture in, you shouldnt have to tape it though. I see you have air holes in your egg tubs, you dont want that, they need to be air tight, stop the moisture getting away!
I have used sandwich boxes, the ones with the click lids, about 2 quid from tesco, they work really well. Just need to be sure that the vermiculite is nice and moist when you put them in there!

Edited by - mikerichards on 19/05/2010 08:22:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog.

Mike- Is it OK to transfer the eggs to new air-tight tubs, if I take care not to turn or disrupt the eggs too much?

Also, I noticed yesterday 2 more eggs had sort of mouldy fur on them, so i carefull brushed it off as the eggs are still white...does this mean these eggs are dead?
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  10:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No they are not dead, the fungus spreads really easily, its a pain. Yes its fine to transfer the eggs, just make sure the new tub is warm, preferably the same temperature as the tub they were in. Make extra sure that you dont turn the eggs at all, even a little bit. you can mark the top of the egg with a felt tip pen so that you know which is the top.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  09:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I transferred the eggs to a new tub last night and its air tight so hopefully the humidity will rise.
Currently there are no air holes though - should I make some, or just open the lid every 2 days (or more?) to refresh the air?

Also, I noticed last night my female definitely had 2 more eggs in her from almost 2 weeks ago! This, after the VET getting one out and giving her 2 jabs.

So, armed with advice from here, and from watching the vet do it, I gave my female a warm bath, and gently squuezed the 2 eggs out!!! was a bit messy, as some poo came out first, but the 2 eggs came out without too much squuezing, and the snake didnt look stressed at all.

She does, however look quite a bit thinner, partly due to laying the ggs, but she hasnt eaten for weeks, apart from a pinkie she took on Tuesday. I tried giving her a mouse last night but she wasnt interested...how long before I should be worried? She was drinking quite a bit of water last night, and seems very active...

And.....breathe! :)
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  11:03:04  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes can go without eating for a long time, so leave her a few days, let her settle, and then try feeding her again.

After mine laid, she refused food for a week, then wolfed down some food.

Try leaving it in her Viv overnight.

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  18:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the vermiculite you used is nicely soaked, you dont need any air holes in the egg tub, and you dont want to be opening it up too often, i only open mine up every weekend. dont worry about not eating just yet, she will eat when she gets over the stress.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  08:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The eggs are now 42 days old.
Out of the 9 that were looking good, 5 of them still look nice, white & plump, the others have collapsed and turned brown, so assuming these ones are dead?
When it gets to the 55 Day mark, what should I be doing? I work long hours, so is checking morning and evening enough? Or should they be checked throught the day?
Also, what do I need to put in the tub in te way of food, water, shelter, etc?
Once (if) the eggs hatch, do I immediately put the hatchlings into separate boxes with heating, etc?
Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  08:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they may take less time to hatch, may take more time. each batch seems to differ! (Mine are taking an age!!!)

Brown ones are most likely dead yes, altho leaving them there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm checking mine morning before I go to work, and after I get back, (then because I'm far too excited, again before bed!)

Which tub>?
When they hatch they may decide to stay in the egg for a while, that fine, leave them and don't try and take them out of their egg.
When they emerge properly, seperate each one into a separate tub, with a bowl of water, a hide and partially on a heat mat (same ratio as your normal viv!)

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly