Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 First clutch of Eggs..Advice needed..mikerichards?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasnt aware that my female corn was pregnant (gravid??), although I suppose having the 2 snakes together I should have known it would happen! She is approx 3 years ols, about 3½ foot long. He is about 2½ years ols, about 2½ long.
But she started acting strangely, i.e. not eating, hardly moving, etc, then overnight 2 eggs appeared last Thursday. Few more Friday, then 5 overnight on Saturday equalling 11 eggs so far.
She still has a large bulge so am expecting more egges when I get home today.
I spoke to my local reptile shop, and bought all the equipment to make my incubator, large poly box, long heat strip, digi thermomenter, thermostat, vermiculite, tubs, etc.
So all the eggs are in the box, set at 82 degrees. Some eggs are nice and plump, others look 'pinched'. How do I test the humidity?

Also mikerichards, if you are reading this, I got your name from Funk off the PH Forum, he said you'd be able to help me out with advice?
This is my first experince of trying to hatch Eggs of any kind so I'm quite excited, but understand it may come to nothing!

Any advice, tips, or help in general with the eggs and the snakes would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. Hi everyone!!!

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:57:02  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya! (go say hi on the introductions section!)

Humidity is measured with a hydrometer. (should be on the same rack as a thermometer in the shop!!)

Put a jar of water in the incubator to get the humidity up.

There are loads of q/a on here, so best plan, read through the recent topics and glan the info you need!

Good luck!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello mate, yes i saw your post on there and couldnt reply! so got him to get you on here!
THe best thing to do for now, use the search up the top and have a look through the breeding section, there is a load of info on there about setting up the incubator and how to go about hatching them succesfully.
A few quick Q's before you dash off, how big is your female? how old?
What is your current incubator setup? can you post some pics? whats the advice you have already been given?
As many answers you can provide will help us all get some good info to you and give you the best chances

Mike

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  15:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies Guys.
Mike - she is about 3½ foot long, 3 years old.
I'll get a picture of my incubator set-up tonight and post it up here.
Some of the eggs look 'pinched'. Is it a good idea to place a piece of wet kitchen tissue on top of the boxes (between bo & lid) to raise the humidity? If so, how long do I leave the tissue in place for?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  16:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah i wouldnt bother with that, put the wet tissue directly ontop of the eggs, so its touching them, that way they can directly and quickly draw the moisture in. The eggs should be plump and firm, no dimples or saggy bits ideally.
Can you describe your incubator setup? do you have a stat on there, do you know the temperatures of it, do you know the temp range of the eggs, ie, their min temps and highest temps in order to survive?
There is a lot of info on here about incubating, its a good plan to have a bit of a read, otherwise its gonna take a lot more time for me and others to re post it here, and you dont want to be waiting too long!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike.
Here are a few pics of the setup. I have the stat set to 82 degrees, and the probe is on the inner wall near the bottom - is this the correct location?
I have covered the eggs in damp tissue, but how long do I leave the tissue in for? And what is the min temp the Incubator should be? And Maximimum?
As you can see, some of the eggs are pinched - are these dead? Do the others look OK?
Cheers

photos should work now!!

Edited by - n/a on 10/05/2010 19:31:59
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats looks like a good setup, the eggs are too dry, i suggest a spray bottle and give them a really good spray. Make sure the tub that the eggs are in are sealed, tight, nothing in, nothing out, get the humidity right up in the tub, that will help the eggs get the moisture back. The eggs look ok, but i wouldnt want them to get any more dehydrated. Soak the tissue, so its wet, place it on top of the eggs and leave it for a few days, then repeat, leave them for a minimum of 3 or 4 days before opening up again.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.
Are there too many holes in the tub lids?
I put a few in, then subsequently read that there should only be 1 or 2, and in the sides, not the top?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spotted something. The heatmat position is less than ideal, you want the mat at the bottom of the poly box, so the heat rises, where it is now the corner at the top right in the pic, the heatmat will heat the corner of the egg tub more than the rest.
If i was you, i would put the heatmat at the bottom, curling up the sides is fine, use something like kitchen roll tubes to keep the tub off the heatmat. Put the stat probe and the thermometer probe ontop of the egg tubs.
Glad you got a dimmer on there, it makes life so much easier. 82f is a good temp.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, another question!!
I have put the male back in with the female, but it looks like she still has some eggs left in her.
Is it OK to leave the male in there, or will he attempt to eat the eggs? or accidentally trample them?
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  20:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ot be honest, dont do it.
He will harrass her for sex and probably end up killing her.
Keep them separate until you intend to breed them again.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

ot be honest, dont do it.
He will harrass her for sex and probably end up killing her.
Keep them separate until you intend to breed them again.

Ah, thats a shame, they have been together for 2 years, they'll probably miss each other?
I dont have a spare viv right now, I'll get one tomorrow. Will they be OK until tomorrow without any attempted rape?
I just assumed they only mate once a year or something?
Cheers
Lee
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, give him 30 seconds and he will be onto her, male snakes are rapists, in every sense of the word, they dont take no for an answer and you really dont need the hassle, and neither does she. If she is stressed out too much then you could end up with an eggbound snake, that means she stops giving birth/laying the eggs, which means she then runs out of steam, and then cant lay the eggs, at that point, you start getting into deep sh*t real quick, within 48 hours she needs a jab to induce her, after that you can be looking at surgery, which will cost you in excess of 300 quid, if thats not done, she dies, simple as. An untreated eggbound snake has a 100% mortality rate.
Keep him in a tub in the viv until tomorro, he will be fine. dont put them back together.
Even though they have been together for so long, he will still see her as a sex object, snakes are solitary animals, they come together to mate, thats about it, keeping them together is not recommended as they tend to hassle each other and this can cause you problems, a stressed snake is aggressive, wont feed, and will be skittish. Its not ideal!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, will separate them now.
Is it usual that she still has eggs in her now, since the forst ones were laid last thursday? Could she be eggbound now??
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  22:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not usual, but that doesnt mean its not normal, they can take their time, as long as they are still coming out i wouldnt worry too much, if she doesnt lay for 24 hours and ou can clearly see some still in her, then i would head to the vets, get an emergency appointment.
If she is stll laying though, dont worry, just leave her be and check on her in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you getting on??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  08:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put in some damp kitchen paper, but after 1 day the paper was dry and stiff so I sprayed it again.
Some of the eggs still look dehydrated, but hopefully they will be OK.
She still has eggs in her by the look of the large lump, and its been 6 days since she laid the first couple of eggs.
She is just lying still in her Viv. Should I be worried about her yet?
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  09:13:09  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would personally get her to the vet for a calcium jab, as I'd much rather pay £30 odd now and have her healthy, than leave it and possibly have her die.

just my opinion though.

Good luck, I hope she lays them and gets better

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  10:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, i think its probably time to see what a vet has to say, for about 30 quid you get a calcium jab and a hormone jab that will help her lay the eggs.

Also, if the tissue is drying out really quick, then the humidity isnt high enough, spray it everyday, atleast for 2 or 3 days.

Edited by - mikerichards on 12/05/2010 10:24:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  11:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:

After laying a total of 11 eggs, she still had a lump near her tail 7 days after laying the first egg.
So I took her to a Vet last night, who massaged the egg out.
He also said he can feel another 4 or 5 eggs still inside her, so gave her 2 injections to induce the laying!
Said they should be laid within 48 - 72 hours!!
Fingers crossed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000