Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Buying a new snake. (beginner snake owner)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i've been looking and researching about getting snakes and i have traveled to many pet shops holding them and observing them. I'm really not sure whether to get a corn or a king or even a snake at all. I really want to know in general if snakes are actually boring pets to have? Personally i find snakes extremely interesting and intriguing and my family are fine about keeping frozen mice in the freezer and i have an exact list of vivarium items and i own a 36inch wide vivarium already from previously owing a tortoise.

So are they generally boring pets? and if i were to get one i was thinking of a butterscotch cornsnake or a ruthvens or a grey banded kingsnake, what would you recommend? AND lastly can you tell me briefly all the good points of having a snake e.g. why they are fun, interesting and so on.

thanks for your help everyone,

Toby

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 05/05/2010 01:06:56

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:50:49  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its great watching them shed if ya lucky enough to catch it, feeding time is always interesting if they got a relentless appetite,they are great escape artists so make sure ur on top of securing ya viv.... wouldnt say boring at all... once fully set up and temps are stable... they are easy maintenance .. tame down resonably well... make sure you find yaself a decent exotic vet just incase anything comes up...and just enjoy watching em be very inquisitive and having a good mooch at night... if ya get any questions or concerns theres a shedload of peeps on here to help u resolve anything that is troubling you.. above all have fun!!!!!BE WARNED THEY ARE SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE..LOL

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:04:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are great pets to have, its great watching them in there vivs, although most don't come out till the evening.

They are very low maintenance only really needing a spot clean once a week a thorough clwean around once a month and fresh water every day, although some leave it every couple of days.

Never heard of a butterscotch corn though.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there.

I find my corns endlessly fascinating and beautiful, I love watching them move around their vivs and feeding is great!!! One of mine is also hugely amusing with his tough guy antics. They are not what I would call exciting or interactive pets though- you can't cuddle or play with them, they dont like to be handled (they tolerate it) and you can't handle them after feeding for 48 hours.

Snakes are a pet for patient people. If you have any queries over whether snakes are boring, then don't get one. I sometimes don't see mine for around a week at a time. However, like punumbear has said, they are totally addictive!

Rach.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your replies thats a big help.
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  22:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think snakes are boring, they're great to watch, feeding time is fun and they're pretty low maintinence, I've only owned fluffy pets before, and I now wish I'd got a snake sooner because they are a lot easier to care for, do not demand lots of attention, but are still fun and fairly interactive pets. They're great!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  08:31:31  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I find mine fascinating
Gobo is out and about basically all day every day. He has 2 hides, but seems to prefer draping himself across both of them instead, and wandering about in his new viv

Sprockett hides the whole time, so I have to go to her.

They give great massages , are low maintainance and are generally placid

I suppose it depends on your definition of boring.

If you mean you want something that will wait by the door, and you can play with 24/7, then snakes aren't the best plan, but if you like a quieter, calmer pet, then you'll be happy!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I say get a snake, at the start I was a bit like...oh a snake..thanks mum. And thought it would be broing, but its great fun handling them and watching them eating, I'm extremely attached to mine now, they are fun to watch and sometimes they are funny. I would say get one because they arent too much hasstle or anything and pretty interesting pets.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  14:47:05  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with the others, i love all my snakes and wouldnt be without them, i find them interesting, exciting, placid (mostly) and there funny. its great watchin them eat, they sometimes keep ya on ya toes in a way (dont reli know how to explain that one lol) there great to watch shed if your lucky enough to catch it :D

in other words there great pets, there there to talk to, great massages, fascinating and great all round. its like nature in your own home :D

although lol i wouldnt put myself down as the patient type lol haha, but you need to be in some cases like the 48hr handling rule after feeding and the one week rule to begin with etc.

anyway hopes this helps n 4 defo get a corn lol :D there great and addictive

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  16:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone youve been a great help. I want to know do snakes HAVE to hibernate and do they move around at night and knock about the cage making noise or are they relaxed and sleeping?
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello
Like everyone else I love my snake to bits and don't find him boring at all. But at the start of your posting you said you didn't really know if you wanted a snake at all. For me that rings a warning bell....please don't get any pet unless you really want it. I'm a foster mum for an animal shelter and we have far too many animals that were just a 'flash in the pan' novelty. Please don't think I'm getting at you, I'm only saying think very seriously before getting a snake. Remember they can live a long life and what if you become bored, what will you do with the snake? Look on our home page and answer all the questions there, still want one? If the answer is 'yes' then I would highly recommend a cornsnake....they are super creatures!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  05:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Toby. I am going to echo Herriotfan's concerns. I also notice your age and getting a snake is a long term commitment. As she said they live for about 10 years so you need to think seriously about what you are going to do with it when/if you go to uni etc. I am not wanting to put you off it or having a go, I just know that all too often people dont think hard enough about the costs involved - financial: in getting the right set up with heatmat, stat, digital thermometer, hides, food; and time: in that they are with you for a long period, do need feeding on a regular schedule and handling and cleaning out....not a pet you can just ignore for a bit.

If you are questioning whether snakes are boring to have then I would suggest that you havent done much research or handling or observation of them. Just by handling them you will have realised how great they are to have out and once they get to the point where you can let them roam (under supervision) and they are exploring your body and the room around you...it is wonderful to watch and experience. If you are lucky enough to see them shedding then it is an amazing experience. I have had my first snake for just over a year now and still love watching it feed....the way their jaws unhinge and then 'walk' down the mouse's body....

But, they do spend a lot of their time in their hides so are not out and about in their vivs for you to watch 24hrs a day. I would also advise against getting caught up on a particular morph of corn....it is much better to go into a reputable shop or to a breeder and pick one you like the look of. If you settle on one particular morph then you become very tunnel-visioned and miss out on some beautiful snakes. Again, it makes me question why you actually want this snake??

Snakes dont hibernate although they do have a seasonal body clock and do slow down a bit during winter, with males going off their food when it is breeding season - mine has gone without food for 13 weeks before, so if you are a worrier then it is not a great pet to have.

They are diurnal (I think that is the right word), in that they move around mostly at dawn and dusk. Again, if you have looked into it you will have seen that there is very little in a faun or viv for them to knock about and make a noise with.

My advice would be to take your time before you make your decision, do some more research and spend some more time with snakes. Then you will KNOW whether you want a snake or not....and if you are still not sure then dont get one!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  06:47:46  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tobila
So are they generally boring pets?

LOL, made my laugh x) On a Corn Snake forum, you won't get many who agree I hope the vast majority who have replied have given you the answers you needed, and I hope that you'll do the right thing when considering whether one is right for you; a lot of commitment it required, but I won't repeat what others have said, or maybe haven't xD Good luck, and welcome to the forum! (don't think I've yet welcomed you x3)

Lil xx

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:55:25  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It has taken me nearly 39 years to get a snake cos i always thought they were slimey to touch but no where near that. It is always worth researching any pet u thinking bout getting but snakes are a great pet to have knowing u have looked after them properly and created a habbitate as close to the wild for them as u can. I think also the knowledge as u watch them grow that you have done ur best for them. You cant do any more than that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  22:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just letting everyone know im getting a rainbow boa hatchling in july, cheers for your replies!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  01:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd have recommended a king or Corn as a starter snake TBH.
If you want to get a bit more info/help in regards the setup for rainbows (they need a fair bit of difference to it) then have a looky on our sister site www.therainbowboa.co.uk or mummy site www.thereptilian.co.uk

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  12:02:20  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just do alot of reserch into it before you buy, its cool the first time you just see your snakes little head pop out of his cave for the first time :D

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000