Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,,
I am looking to breed my male corn snake in the next year.
I haven't had snakes for very long at all but have done so much research on looking after them I almost feel like an encylopedia!! Jokes! Anyway, I know quite a lot about keeping adults but not so much about hatchlings.
I can't seem to find answers to some of my questions on the internet such as:
Can I keep more than one hatchling in the same container if they are from the same clutch?... And does it matter what sex they are?

If a female and male were kept together would they breed even at such a young age?

Is it easy to tell their gender? If not how much roughly would it cost to have a professional check?

Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks :)

Edited by - HannahB on 02/05/2010 20:13:02

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
generally its advisable to separate them asap one to a tub, its not common but it has happened in the past where some little hatchlings have eaten eachother..
at a small age they can be 'popped' but personally if you are in doubt id take them to a local rep shop who usually do them for free, if done incorrectly it can result in some nasty injuries including prolapses and in some cases paralyis from the vent down where the spine has been broken
just out of interest how old are your snakes, if under the age of 3, weight of 300gs and less than 3ft in length thn its advisable not to breed because the female often isnt big enough to cope with the stress, also although a male can reproduce from 18months its advisable to wait as he will probably be firing blanks
hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and thanks that did help!!
Well,I haven't got a female yet!! (planning on getting one in the next few months though) but I would prefer she would be 3 yrs or over so I wouldn't have to wait that long! But my male is 2yrs old and roughly around 3ft must get on to weighing him though. Thank you for helping,, also, you wouldn't know anything about brumation would you? I've heard that you don't have to brumate to breed them but it would help ??? Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You don't need to brumate them to breed.

What morph is your male?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 02/05/2010 19:27:51
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh right thanks!!
Well,
He's a Amel Stripe het. Caramel.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  21:02:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You don't keep hatchlings together as they can eat each other. Plus with them separate, you can keep accurate records about who ate when. If they are all together and you get a striker in your lot, it will strike at all the other little ones too.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would maybe hold off breeding until next year until your male is 3 years old. you don't have to brumate. like everyone has sed, don't keep hatchlings together, plus it has advanted like if you had 5 together and one shed you wouldn't know which one it was.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okayy thank you for all the advice!
I will not keep hatchlings together (I never knew they were so aggresive against eachother!!) Lol and I will wiat until he is the ideal weight and size!!
THANKS!!! :)

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh and does anyone know rougly how much I am looking to spend, like,
Containers, food, Heat sources?
Anyone got any tips??
Any help would be great!
Thanks x :)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:22:34  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It a pretty costly thing. Your probably looking at between 10 and 15 containers which would probably set you back about £10 plus a heat strip and thermostat, around £45, a few digi therms like £4 each off ebay and then food and bedding.

there is also the price of an incubator but there is a guide on here for how to make one.

Depending on how many hatchlings you got and survived you would probably make your money back. But then you have all the kit for the next time you breed.

What female are you looking to get?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:34:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Conatiners you can use those plastic takeway boxes until they shed they second time then they will need bigger ones but by that time they should have had at least 4 feeds n them in which you can e-home them. You might need about 2 thermometer, one that you measure the heat strip with and another ones you can put into a dud plastic box that measures the temp inside the boxes. Bedding is cheap, just get some kitchen roll and as for water containers you can use bottle caps and you should probably blue tac them down as they have a habit of knocking the water over.

If your doing it for money it's not really worth it, if your doing if because you want to then go for it :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right that is a big help thank you!!
I'm sure i could put together some tupperware boxes e.t.c!!
Umm, well as for the female I don't really mind.
My boy is an Stripe Amel het. Caramel so anything that produce colourful babies!
Not too fussy on the female, just a girl that is friendly and sheds/eats well!!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:17:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as for the female you could go for an amel, and get amel babies, a caramel and get caramel babies or a butter and get butter babies.

Also if you found another amel het caramel or caramel het amel, you could get amels caramels and butters i believe.

Edit - Any snake that ahs red eyes could give you amels wen bred with your amel.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/05/2010 13:32:46
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote