New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  07:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.
Those of you who have been kind enough to help with other questions I have posted will know that I have a male Annery who is just over 5ft and 3 years old, My question this time is, How do I know if he is full after a meal, I am feeding him 1 medium sized rat every Friday. I have read on here that there is ment to be a visible lump after feeding, and there is but it is very small. If you dont think I am feeding enough do I give him 2 rats of the same size one after another, the rat and a mouse, two rats a day apart or buy a bigger rat? sorry went on abit there lol
Steve

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  08:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there Steve

I would say that for a corn, a medium rat every week is wayyy too much. Corns are very prone to obesity and rats can really contribute to being a bit podgy.

I have a 7 year old male that is longer than yours, he is fed an XL mouse once a fortnight, and it leaves a noticeable bump. He weighs just over 700g, a very healthy weight.

If a medium rat isn't leaving a lump it may be that your corn is overweight- pics would help with this though. Being only 3 I would seriously consider switching him onto mice soon, or at least feed him every 10-14 days.

It is very easy to over feed a fat snake (if that is what he is, I may be completely wrong!!) because you think the food isn't big enough- but remember..... fat people don't need more chips!!

Rachael.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  09:32:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I fed my corn a rat every week as my pet shop told me to do this. He is now over weight and and it's hard for him to loose the weight... :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:10:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm with SB on this one, i would have thought 1 medium rat every week is a bit much especially if it dosn't leave much of a bump afterwards.

I would try to get him onto a suitably sized mouse and leave a longer period of time between feedings.

Do you know how much he weighs? If not then can you weigh him?
When he isn't curled up can you see the skin between his scales?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. First off no I cant see the skin between his scales they are all joined? second I dont know how much he weighs but after his 48 hours as he was only fed last night I will weigh him and post. Third as for photos OMG dont get me started on this one, in short photobucket and I dont get on however if anyone is on face book I have some photos of him on there and will be adding some better ones tonight that I took this morning. If anyone is interested in seeing him re his weight my full name is Steve Guthrie. If you do look please let me know as I am not worried I have a fat lad. As for the chip comment how funny made me laugh.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that should have said I am worried I have a fat lad sorry bit dislexic this morning lol
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One way of shifting weight is, if you have stairs, let him slither up and down them a few times every couple of days, supervsied of course.

I wouldn't let him 'swim' every day, as the water can go cold very quickly and plus your'e at risk from scale rot and R.I's from too much swimming.

If I were you, I'd ditch the rats. Theyr'e full of fat like people have said, and not as nutrious as mice, mice have everything your snake needs in it nutrious wise!

I'd try him on a large mouse every 10 days for now, see how he gets on with that.

There would be a considerable bump of where the prey item is, but withou having seen the snake, it'd be hard for me to say what size mouse suits him best.
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  13:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No-one has mentioned this so I feel I should add that there seems to be a pretty poor standard for sizing mice now. It's been getting worse IMO.
I use a couple of suppliers, and the size of a large mouse differs considerably between each other and even what they have sold in the past.

Once you get the right sized mouse, the frequency is what you can tweak to prevent them getting lardy.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  14:51:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Make sure your stairs are clean and have no loose fibres, hair or dust as it can make the snake sneezy.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  15:42:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a medium rat is way too much for a corn every week. I'd guess without even seeing photos that he will be overweight.
Can you weigh him for us and post his weight?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I have to admit although I have only had him for 2 weeks I feel I am being horrible to him by making him fat even though he was on rats when I got him and I have only given him 2. The last thing I want to do is have an unhealth and unhappy snakie. Due to him only being fed yesterday I will weight him tomorrow and let you know the out come.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad!!

Feeding him the 2 rats won't have harmed him in the slightest, its not your fault that is what he has been feeding on, and you were told to feed him on.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  18:37:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, he's probably no where near as bad as my fatty.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  18:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its only 1 rat he has been having I think they are classed as weener rats. Glad to hear you dont think me a bad owner
steve
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  18:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahah we should start Fat Fighters on here.

Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes, it's how we learn, glad you have only fed him on rats on a short space of time, he could have become some nutrient difficeny (sp) which wouldnt have been good!

If I were you I wouldn't feed him till at least we can decided on a suitable mouse size for him, it won't do any harm, plus a little fast will do him the world of good before he goes slimming.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000