Leaving Mice in over night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LAsweetie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  22:43:46  Show Profile  Click to see LAsweetie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey,

I've just tried feeding my corn and he is not interested at all! I have work in the morning so I cant stay up all night waiting for him to decide to eat, so is it Ok to leave the mice on his log overnight to give him a chance to eat, or is it not advisable to leave them?

advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Hannah

Hannah :)
owner of one Hypo Corn Snake

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  22:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its fine to leave it in overnight and take it out in the morning if its not eaten

Go to Top of Page

LAsweetie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  22:45:43  Show Profile  Click to see LAsweetie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank You x

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  22:47:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would put on a peice of paper under the cool hide,as they smell rank by the morning if in the warm hide lol

Go to Top of Page

LAsweetie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  22:48:55  Show Profile  Click to see LAsweetie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok lol, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  03:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to do this a number of times when my corn was horny last year and had stopped eating. I would offer him his food and when he refused it I would leave it on a piece of kitchen roll in the cool end, near the hide. Then would throw it away in the morning.

Is this the first time your corn has refused to eat Hannah? Is he being extra active at the moment? The only reason I ask is that it is 'that' time of year....when the males only have one thing on their minds and it isnt food! I have 2 males and both are off their food at the moment.

If he hasnt eaten the mouse overnight then dont try again until his next feeding day....corns can go for a long time without eating (last year it was 13 weeks before Kellog ate , but he is an adult male and had weight to lose!)

Do you weigh your snake? It is a good idea to, especially if they are not eating....as then you can see if there is a slow weight loss due to a natural fast (breeding season) or a fast weight loss due to some other reason.

Can you give us a better idea of your set-up? Size, temps? How long have you had your corn? Sorry for all the questions....but the more we know then we can give you some better advice as to what may be going on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  07:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for me it depends entirly on substrate - i use newspaper and shredded paper and would have no hesitation leaving a mouse in for 24 hours...........if on the other hand you use something like beech chippings which could cause problems if ingested i'd be inclined not to leave it in while i wasn't around to keep an eye on the snake

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000