How big a water bowel do adults need?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am really confused now. I read somewhere in a book that it should be big enough for an adult to have a soak in so they can go in it if they wish when they come to shed of have a poo but then I see pictures of vivs and it looks like the snake can't fit into the bowel and there's a lot of information to suggest that it isn't really needed as they rarely do this.

I have water bowels big enough for them to soak in but if it is really not needed then I think it would be better for them if I took it out and replaced with smaller ones so they had a bit more room in the viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  12:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is the general advice that is recommended and I'll stick by that. Although I have to say my corns are rarely seen in their water bowls.

I think if you were to offer a smaller bowl I wouldn't make it too small and I would think about adding a damp hide prior to shedding as this would be when they would need a soak most.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  17:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen my guys in it a few times, say if I put my Blitz back (4ft of wriggly muscley snake btw) he makes a beeline for the bowl and dives straight in! Blaze has the odd phase of going swimming, but my big fella came with a bowl thats about 15cm in diameter, he still could fit in that, but it had a rim at the top and often got stuck so thats why I bought him an exo one.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  19:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont use bowls big enough for them to get it. It wont do any harm either way, I just dont bother.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  23:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive rarely seen my corns soak in there bowls but i always have one thats just big enough for them to get in just in case they ever want to but i dont think it would hurt to have a smaller one in and like kazerella says if you have a smaller bowl, have a damp hide in as well

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  03:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither of my vivs have water bowls big enough for my snakes to soak in. Main issue is space, putting in bowls big enough for them takes away so much of their burrowing and slithering space.

I did try it with Kellog and he showed no interest at all so I took it out. The only time he has shown any interest with going in the water bowl is now when he is horny - he has worked out that if he jams himself into the bowl it gives him more leverage to push against the glass to try and escape !

I know how important it is to give them a little help with the humidity in the run up to shedding and the bigger water bowl would do this, but instead I mist the viv each morning once my snakes have gone blue and this has worked very well so far - not too much humidity but just enough.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  07:14:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I think I might just use a smaller bowel for the bigger snake and swap it for the huge bowel when he is shedding and keep the bowel that is big enough for the other one to soak in.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000