Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  00:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I got my first ever snake tonight. I was told she is an Ultramel Anery? Here's a pic:-

Just got her home a few hours ago and gave her a defrosted mouse, she came straight out and ate it. The previous owner said she was a good eater and it seems they were right! She was born early '09 and measure approx 18" long. I haven't measured her accurately yet as I wanted to let her settle in first. She is currently in a smallish RUB and I have ordered a 145 litre version for her to eventually move into so I plenty time to get it setup perfectly.

I looked in local petshops and couldn't decide what morph to get then I saw this one in the local classifieds and it was an easy decision to make.
Great site. I have been lurking here for the past week collecting information before I decided to bite the bullet and get a cornsnake.

I look forward to asking you all loads of questions, especially concerning my new setup.

Brian

1.2 Cornsnakes

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  00:33:33  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Wow, what a pretty girl. She's lovely. If you've been looking on here you'll know about the week long no handling rule and also the 48 hours after feeding no handling rule too! So now you've got to go a whole week without touching her....that's difficult.
Fire away with any questions you have, somebody will know the answer.
Kellog will, in due course, give you an awesome welcome with loads of info.
You do know that you've entered the world of addiction now, don't you!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  00:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome. I definately know about the no handling 48 hours after feeding rule, no worries there. Week long no handling rule Seriously thought if that's what's recommended then no worries there either. I would prefer to let her settle in properly. I bought her with her full setup so nothing has changed for her except the owner and where she now resides, fingers crossed she'll settle in here quickly since she is still in the same setup and yes I could see this quickly becomming an addiction although I have an antidote for that addiction.............it's called 'The Wife'

Brian

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  00:58:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even tho' she's in same housing she will still want the week settling in period. A good idea to help her get used to you is to put an old glove/sock, or something of yours, in with her so she gets used to your smell. If you tuck it in your top for a day then just pop it in with her that will help a lot. Just change her water and check her substrate each day and that all helps her settle and realise you're not a threat.
Don't be fooled by the wife being an antidote, once she knows what an amazing hand massage a snake gives! They are such a calming, relaxing therapy. Unless she's like me she won't relish the mice sharing the freezer tho! I'm cured now....just don't care anymore and they're very well sealed

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  03:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian, it is really good that you have joined us! As you have already found, this is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am the famous Kellog and this is my famous welcome! I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

You have obviously already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As Herriotfan has mentioned we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for her to get used to the new smells and her new surroundings. She may be in her own set-up but just the change in location and the new environment will be different and scary for her. This means just putting your hand in to change her water daily and straighten the substrate, so she can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about her not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting her to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You say that you bought her with a full set-up....what does that mean? Does she have a heatmat with stat and digital thermometer? These are vital pieces of equipment. Am sure you already know that they need to hides and some plants or something to make them feel more secure. I was sold my first snake 'with full set-up', and it turned out he had a bulb for heat with no guard, dial thermometers half-way up the wall of the viv (they are virtually useless and being where they were they were measuring the ambient temp not the substrate temp, which is where they get their heat from) and he only had one hide. Not what he should have had and not what I expected. I put it right as soon as I could.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got her hopefully you got as much info about her as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

She is beautiful! I am terrible with morphs, but you could look at iansvivarium, which is a great site to see what morphs there are and how much hatchlings change colour as they grow to adults. The only danger with that site is that you come away with a list of all the morphs you want to get next ! This link will help you post pics straight onto the forum, using photobucket - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Herriotfan has already warned you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!! And your OH doesnt stand a chance once your corn has had a chance to work her magic on her !

I look forward to getting to know you and your snake better. Does she have a name yet???

xxx

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  09:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog, that reply must have taken you all night to write

The setup that came with the snake was a RUB which has an exoterra hiding cave and water dish at one end and an exoterra snake cave at the other along with some plastic plants, aspen substrate and a heatmat covering 1/3 of the floorspace. I have added an analogue hygrometer and thermometer to the cool end and a digital thermometer to the hot end along with a habistat thermostat to control the heatmat.

Couple of questions..... the heatmat is positioned beneath the part of the tub that has the snake cave on it as this is where she spends most of her time? I assume this is ok with the other hiding cave and water bowl on the cool side? The snake cave has what looks like sphagnum moss in it and they advised me the spray this when she is shedding. Also is there an ideal spot to position the hygrometer?

It seems I broke the no feeding for a week rule as the previous owner told me to feed her when I got her home. She ate fine and this morning she was curled up in her cave so fingers crossed no harm done here. I will however leave her alone for the rest of the week to let her digest her meal and settle in.

@herriotfan....my wife was totally fine about the mice being kept in the freezer. I was really surprised by this. I can only guess she has bought something I don't know about yet!

I have kept lizards (mainly bearded dragons and geckos) for the last 20 years so I am pretty clued up with their care but with snakes I will be relying on you lot here for advice!

My wife wants to call her Maple as she has a marking on her head like a maple leaf.........jury is still out on that one.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Brian.

1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 07/05/2010 17:58:52
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  10:10:00  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Nice snakie you got there!
Feel free to ask anything..!
We are all here to help!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  11:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deadmansfinger

Hi Kellog, that reply must have taken you all night to write

The setup .... an exoterra hiding cave ..... an exoterra snake cave at the other ..... I have added a hygrometer and digital thermometer to this along with a microclimate thermostat.

One question, the heatmat is positioned beneath the part of the tub that has the snake cave on it as this is where she spends most of her time? I assume this is ok with the other hiding cave and water bowl on the cool side? The snake cave has what looks like sphagnum moss in it and they advised me the spray this when she is shedding.

It seems I broke the no feeding for a week rule .... I will however leave her alone for the rest of the week to let her digest her meal and settle in.

@herriotfan.....I can only guess she has bought something I don't know about yet!

I have kept lizards (mainly bearded dragons and geckos) for the last 20 years .....

My wife wants to call her Maple as she has a marking on her head like a maple leaf.........jury is still out on that one.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Brian.

Not quite all night...I must admit to having a few notes that I always use cos I think there are certain things that it is important for a new corn owner to know, and to give them a brief guide to the forum....but I do try to make it personal to whoever it is I am talking to .

Sounds like you have done really well with improving 'Maple's ' set-up. Am so pleased you got the thermostat digital thermometer as they are so vital. I get very cross when people are advised that they dont need them! A hygrometer is not a necessity with corns as they require a dry environment, but having one does keep your mind settled that everything is as it should be.

I am not familiar with the 2 caves you mentioned, although I have just checked out the snake cave on 888. You need to make sure that the cave that is in the warm end does not have a base, otherwise the heat from the heatmat wont penetrate it to keep your snake warm. It is ok to keep the sphagnum moss in there dry all the time, although that isnt necessary. Then when she goes blue you can mist it slightly to dampen it.

Dont worry about breaking the rule! It is not really a rule ....more of a guide, and I am sure that it wont have made any difference. The great thing is that she ate, which is amazing to watch! Well done for following the advice now and leaving her for the rest of the week to settle in. Once you have done that feed her again, as she will be due, then leave her another 48hrs. Once that is over you can begin your handling ! I know it seems ages til you can get to the handling bit but the wait is worth it.

I hope we will get to see some pics of your beardies and geckos in the 'Other Reptile Pics' section!

Although it is hard to see in the pic, it does look as though your wife if right about the marking on 'Maple's ' head! I guess it is one way to win her round by letting her name your 'other woman'! I cant wait to see what she may have bought that has made her so amenable to having mice in her freezer !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  11:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,
Maples a good name - she could have gone for something alot worse - and if you dont come up with something quick you know maples gonna stick lol

cant see the pics as im in work - but will have a look next time i can!
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  12:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!

Snake cave:- http://www.blagdonwatergardens.co.uk/uploads/products/exo_terra_snake_cave.jpg

Hiding cave:- http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/product.asp?id=7413&sr=gbase&ad=7413

The snake cave that she spends all her time in has a bottom on it. The previous owner had this ontop of the heatmat. I did wonder about this setup but I didn't want to change things straight away. If I move the snake cave to the other side this would put her favourite hiding spot on the cold side?

Any thoughts on the setup are appreciated.

I don't have any lizards now. My last bearded dragon died last September aged 14. I didn't get anything else as I was moving in the October and getting married in the November then away on honeymoon all of Jan 2010. Now we are settled into married life I can start getting more pets

Thanks,
Brian.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  12:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Brian and welcome to the forum,

lovely wee beastie you got, not only that another Glaswegian woohoo.

I dont keep the moss in the hide i just have a dusting of substrate in the hot hide, and only add the moss when the snakes are ready to shed. But it really shouldnt make any difference.

Edited by - gmac on 27/04/2010 12:10:03
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah are you a weegie too gmac?

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i very much am yes, the west of glasgow

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What petshops do you recommend in Glasgow for reptiles and accessories? I particularly want to source some aspen substrate and was going to buy it online but it's almost £3 a kg + delivery and I thought I could get it cheaper somewhere local.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:37:12  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum

thats a gawjus corn u have there :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  13:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK this may get me in allsorts of trouble if any Glasgow petshops read this, I dont recommend any, neon gecko in Paisley is the only shop i would use if i had to but it all really depends on what your after.

I also dont use aspen it is too expensive, I use Aubiose it is cleaner and cheaper £12 for 20kg bag, as youve only got the one snake just now depending on where you are in glasgow i may be able to get some to you to try it out.

Go to Top of Page

jessejamez666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  14:13:26  Show Profile  Visit jessejamez666's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey thats a nice snake dude!
Its so cool there are as many Glaswegiens on here !!!
Im just outside in EK

Beetlejuice and Chewie

1.0.0 Normal-Beetlejuice
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-Chewie
1.0.0 Kingsnake-Booga
1.0.0 Royal Python- Pilsbury
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  14:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Airdrie now so not far from you.

I agree with what gmac says. In all my 20+ years keeping reptiles I have yet to find a decent reptile petshop in this area apart from Rontouls in Bathgate. I usually just buy my stuff online.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  18:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to buy some medium mice tonight. Guy in petshop told me I should be feeding 2 of these per week. Is that right as I was told to feed it 1 by the previous owner? Here's the size I am talking about:-

Also they charged me £1.05 a mouse. Is this price ok?

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  18:49:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She is a beautiful snake and Maple is a brilliant name.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, we would need to know more about your snakes width wise and his weight etc and what he was fed on before. Price seems fair for a pet shop but I dont go to pet shops for my frozen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000