Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a gorgeous snake and I agree with the others, Maple really suits her

No idea about the feeding, I'll leave that to the more experienced on here. The price is about right I think.

I'm getting homesick with all these Glaswegiens on here I haven't been up home for over two years now. I miss proper Irn Bru lol

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah so have you have been drinking Iron Brew

The previous owner was feeding her 1 medium mouse per week. Petshop said for a 1yr+ snake it should be getting 2 per week.

@gmac......I get what you are saying. I will get the sizes once I can handle her again which is sometime in early 2011 I think

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  20:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your corn was on one mouse a week i would leave it on one mouse a week till you both get used to each other and you get to know your corn better, then maybe see if it will take 2, but there is no rush so long as it is still eating.

I did check what I pay for medium mice and £1 per mouse scares the living daylights out of me.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  21:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best price I found online was 46p for a medium mouse but you need to place and order over £10 so you are talking about 25 mice. Add onto this £11.99 delivery and they come in at 93p each. Not worth the hassle of placing the order etc to save a few pence on a mouse.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  23:00:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Welcome to the forum, lovely snake you have there, although i would personally say regular ghost.

Like Gmac has said above, best keep her on the same feeding regime as she was on with her previous owner untill you get to know her a bit more and how much she can cope with.

How big is the mouse in comparison to the thickest part of the snake?

Also have you tried 888 reptiles forn the mice. Thats where i often order our mice from, we have a few snakes though and normly order the mice along with a few other bits.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  02:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian. As far as the positioning of the caves are concerned, if the cave has its own floor (like your snake cave) then in the cold end, if it has no floor and sits on the substrate (like your hiding cave) then on the warm side. It would be best to swap the caves round....but only do it once she has settled in. She will adjust to the change and may even prefer it, being on the warm substrate. Normally we just sprinkle a small amount of substrate over the heatmat and then let it deepen towards the cool end so she can burrow.

You have been asked the right questions about feeding and given the right advice. You need to carry on feeding her as she is for a little while, just to ensure that she has settled in properly. What would really help is knowing her weight as then we can have a better idea as to what she 'should' be eating, although it is only a rough way to work it out. Keep her on what she is on now cos at least she is eating and then, once you get to know her you can work out whether she is ready to move up.

The price you are getting your medium mice for sounds about the same as I do. I know it is more expensive than buying online but I always think that I am never sure how long Silvesta is going to be on mediums and therefore dont want to get a bulk order.....so it works out more sensible in the long run. Also the weight of the mouse makes a difference - just sent my OH out to buy some large mice to move Silvesta up and he came back with what he was told were large and they weigh less than the mediums we have, and Silvesta is on 2 mediums a week! At least when you buy them at a pet shop (and you are sensible, unlike my OH ) you can ask them to weigh the first mouse and then gauge the size of the others if that first one is about the right weight.....hope I am making sense, slight brain fog moment !!

Funny you should say that Danny, about 'Maple ', being a regular ghost - it is what crossed my mind but then I know how **** I am at morphs ! No wonder I like her so much !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  03:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So we have all these scots on the forums now, a few glaswegians and not one of them has offered to post me down some proper meat pies.
*grumbles about them for a minute, then realises they're 'wegians*
A munchy box would get through my letter box!!!!

And a belated hello and welcome to the forums.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  07:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Regarding what morph she is I showed the guy in the petshop a pic of her I just happened to have on my phone and he said she was an Ultramel Anery. He has some hatchlings for sale in the shop the same as her. He did tell me what they were a cross between (a ghost and something else I think) but I was too busy checking out the mice and I don't recall what he said.

Once she's able to get handled I will get more photos and perhaps you can give me a definate ID?

Thanks,
Brian.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  08:39:26  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you want to have a look yourself you can go on www.iansvivarium.com I'm still saying Ghost.

Shops often don't know very much about what they are selling and an Ultramel Anery would be more expensive than a regular Ghost.

But anyway have a look on that website for yourself, they are both double trait morphs.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  09:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny i would normally agree, but the shop that Brian uses is Rintouls and i think the lads name is Derek but im not too sure, if it is i wouldnt disagree with him as he is also a very popular breeder up here and very knowledgable. Although I may have my wires crossed with someone else.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  10:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got the right place gmac and he does breed his own corns. They sell these for £110 each for hatchings. Obviously all he had to go on was a tiny picture I had on my phone but the shop isn't far from me so once she is settled etc I will take her down and get an ID in person as such. If she turns out to be a ghost corn then I am cool with that. She's beautiful no matter what

Thanks for the link Danny. Fantastic pics on that site. To my untrained eye the two do look quite similar.
I noticed here http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/ghost/ that it shows a close-up pic of the ghosts eye. Are they all this colour? The description for the Ultramel Anery says it has a "deep ruby eye pupil" which mine definately does.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,
Brian.

1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 28/04/2010 10:53:50
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

419 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  10:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi & welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Crested Gecko: Keiko
2.1.0 Corn Snakes: Picollo, Morph, Sookie
0.1.0 Royal Python: Luna
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake: Chilli
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos: Cleo, Echo, Tiffin, Roley, Scarlett, Ludwig
1.0.0 Understanding Boyfriend: Nick

www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  11:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xvickyx

Hi & welcome to the forum

Thankyou

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  15:15:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I have used up my quota of questions for the week but here's one more

Maple as she is now officially know has been in her cave since she ate on the 26th unless she has been out overnight but I haven't saw any evidence of this. I checked her last night as it had been 24hours since I had saw her. I took off the cave lid and her head popped out of the moss, tongue flicking looking quite happy. Assuming she hasn't come out by tonight which will be 48 hours after feeding is this normal? I wasn't sure if this was normal post eating behaviour or if it was related to the stress of changing owner?

Thanks,
Brian.

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  17:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfectly normal Brian, They will hide away and digest their meal in peace. Nothing to do with stress.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  18:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant thanks!

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  19:08:15  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Danny i would normally agree, but the shop that Brian uses is Rintouls and i think the lads name is Derek but im not too sure, if it is i wouldnt disagree with him as he is also a very popular breeder up here and very knowledgable. Although I may have my wires crossed with someone else.

That is a fair point but ghosts can also vary alot in shade and since he didn't personally breed them he couldn't 100% tell. Then there is also the point that pictures can be missleading.

A very pretty snake none the less, but from that picture, which is the only picture of this particular snake i have seen i would say Ghost.

Fair point?

On another note, I had IRN BRU today

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  19:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I am so jealous!! I miss my Irn Bru (it's not the same down here)
Miss water that doesn't have lime scale, tablet and Bridies

Sorry Brian didn't mean to hi-jack your thread lol.

Glad you settled on Maple she suits it.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  19:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

That is a fair point but ghosts can also vary alot in shade and since he didn't personally breed them he couldn't 100% tell. Then there is also the point that pictures can be missleading.

A very pretty snake none the less, but from that picture, which is the only picture of this particular snake i have seen i would say Ghost.

Fair point?

Danny, what about the eye colour on Ian's Viv? My corn has red pupils like the Ultramel Anery description and the ghost corn eye pic shows a snake with black pupils. Do you get ghost corns with red pupils?

Thanks,
Brian (currently sipping an Irn Bru )

1.2 Cornsnakes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000