Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  11:40:57  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ello,

Max (I think) has started to shed, or least I thought so... as when I fed him a few days back I notced his back half going bluish but front half looked fine.

Last night more of his rear half was going blue but still front half normal pinky colour.

He also was trying to push his head through the air vents in the side of the Faun, im not sure if he was trying to help shed or??

Just lil bit worried as not sure what to do with him, as did not think a shead would take this long by the stuff I have read

(If I can tonight im going to try and get some pic's to show what I mean as he spends alot of time hiding atm but does come out if dark enough and sits at the side of the Faun)

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  11:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Then skin will just dull, if the eyes are dark they appear to go blue, if your snake has red eyes it can hard to tell.

The whole process can take a while and varies per snake. Casper goes dull then about 2 days later her eyes go blue, she stays blue for around 3 days and then her eyes and skin clear, she then sheds around 3 days afterwards.

Reggies skin dulled but his eyes didn't go blue for a good 5 days, he was then blue for around 3 days and shed around 3 days after his eyes cleared.

Candies skin goes dull, and as far as i can tell her eyes go a more pinky colour around the same time, her skin clears around around 4-5 days later and sheds around 2 days after that.

So as you can see it can vary from snake to snake. The whole process normly takes over a week, infact with reggie he won't eat when coming upto a shed so stopped eating untill after his shed which all in all was 18 days, i new it was a natural thing because throughout that time he didn't lose any weight.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  12:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahh ok,

As I was starting to think maby he hurt him self or somthing with it only being on 1 half and yea his eyes are Pinky/Red so im guessing will be tough to tell.

So its a waiting game now I think, bah shame he cant talk heh
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:19:05  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hpoefully he#ll leave a full shed for you!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  18:17:09  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well still quite dim colour on him, plus he has gotten really skittish of late I enter the room and he vanish's in a blink of an eye (literly) plus its past his due date for feeding, so he prolly a bit miffed...

downside I cant see him enough to work out whats going on, I may have to give in and go in (which wont do him any good but maby for the best)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:43:05  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He willl be skitish because when shedding snakes go virtually blind as the layer of skin over there eyes gets ready to come off. As said the whole process can take a while, just keep an eye on him.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:09:50  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ello

sorry not been back in a while, works been silly busy and Max been hiding away

but got a good look tonight at him (seems either shed or was not going into shed....)

but noticed this black mark towards his tail (Really sorry about the size but thought would be easier to see)

another shot

I am hoping you guys are going to say "its his insides etc" as he is really sluggish now does not move or anything really normally when I open the lid to change his water he scampers away but this time just looked at me and watched.. on one note thats a good thing but not sure.. and am quiet worried about him now
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:18:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't see anything that i would say is out of the ordinary.

So what you are seeing is probably his insides as you can sometimes see them on the lighter snakes.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:21:57  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yea I was hoping it was, as I know thats the darker marks on his underbelly

but this was just a weird really dark patch on 1 section of his body... since he wont let me too close yet these pics were the best I could do... but he seems happy enough and feeding time tommorow so will try for a better look and a better shot if possible
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:27:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

He willl be skitish because when shedding snakes go virtually blind as the layer of skin over there eyes gets ready to come off. As said the whole process can take a while, just keep an eye on him.

I also find that varies with each snake ;) Venom will act normal and the Char becomes more calmer.

The dark patch is probably his gall bladder, I would be worried if you couldn't see it on a lighter snake.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:33:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:

I also find that varies with each snake ;) Venom will act normal and the Char becomes more calmer.

The dark patch is probably his gall bladder, I would be worried if you couldn't see it on a lighter snake.

Yes but him being blue will be the reason why he was skittish at that time.

If you read the comment above takagi was saying that he had become quite skittish, but was in blue coming up to a shed.

I also find that younger smaller snakes are more skittish anyway, Casper still strikes at me when she is blue, and Reggie rattles his tail like mad.

Candy is still as calm as ever though.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  16:36:12  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheers guys,

well feeding time at the zoo (of 1 snake heh)

Just got out the pinky to defrost for later on, but it looks kinda strange has weird white marks on it??

I only bought it a weeks and a half back, and has been in the frezer. Is this normal and is it ok for him?? as does not look too nice
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  16:38:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:

Yes but him being blue will be the reason why he was skittish at that time.

If you read the comment above takagi was saying that he had become quite skittish, but was in blue coming up to a shed.

I also find that younger smaller snakes are more skittish anyway, Casper still strikes at me when she is blue, and Reggie rattles his tail like mad.

Candy is still as calm as ever though.

Opps sorry, been staring at a computer screen for 16 hours a day for this past week *_*

It looks like freezer burn to me. It's harmless for them to eat it.

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  16:42:08  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
..few...

heh normaly my own food is barley in there for 3-4 days :p so have not seen it befor, cheers well off to defrost and tea time for him later on

and less computer staring time hehe, I thought I was bad at 12 hours a day at work lol
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  16:50:50  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That pinky/ratpup looks like it has frostbite.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  17:38:33  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cooli well as long as it wont hurt him,

should I only keep them in the frezzer for a week or so to avoid frezer burn?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not sure. I noticed that some of my pinkies gad freezer burn on them the other week but the rest didn't so it could really be down to the shop and how fresh they are. If they are in a bag in the freezer (which I hope they are otherwise you will be taking the mices out along with your peas lol) then maybe just squeeze the air out of the bag.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can be freezed for ages. I had that with mine once, I think it's just ice crystals. They disapear if you defrost them for a good amount of time, six hours minimium.

Better be safe than sorry IMO!

Nice corn snake btw!

What part of his tail is black?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:41:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

They can be freezed for ages. I had that with mine once, I think it's just ice crystals. They disapear if you defrost them for a good amount of time, six hours minimium.

do you just leave your mice to defrost at room temp?

How do others defrost their mice?

I put mine in a plastic food bag and then into some warm water for a few minutes whilst i sort the snakes out ready for them toe at.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
How do others defrost their mice?

I put mine in a plastic food bag and then into some warm water for a few minutes whilst i sort the snakes out ready for them toe at.

I put mine in a RUB that I will feed the snake in and put it on a heatmat mat and leave to thaw. The heat mat kinda warms the mousey so it's nice and warm for when they eat it. I put the adults food in their viv in a sealed container as it warms, it give off a smell and wakes them up and kinda prepares them for feeding. I don't trust myself to put the food in warm water to thaw, I wouldn't even trust thawing sausages that way lol.

Pinkies I leave for 2 hours to defrost just to make sure and so they warm for the fussy eaters and the adults ones I get out in the morning and feed them at night. I'm kinda paranoid about giving them not properly defrosted mice.

Edited by - Sta~ple on 06/05/2010 19:53:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
double bag the mice or put them into a old marg tub x
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic