Alternative Hide :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:22:22  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would it be at all harmful to a cornsnake if it were to live in a snuggly warm sleeve as it's hide?

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming you mean like a jumper sleeve in it's viv??
If so, then it wouldn't be a problem and cleaning it would be fairly easy as well, a hot rinse in the washing machine and it's done.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:45:33  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool, I have an old hoodie that the snake likes to curl up in. Methinks it's time to butcher it and make use of the sleeves :D

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Um word of warning I tried this once. I have never done it since. Somehow my snake went through the sleeve. Not the hole of the sleeve as in actually through the material. I had to cut him free as he got stuck.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:57:56  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eek, would not want that, any idea why or how? that would take some huge application of force to get through that.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont really like the idea of fabrics in a viv, it can be mistaken for food. I saw a photo of a burm that ate a towel once.

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:26:56  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bet that wasn't pretty

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I dont really like the idea of fabrics in a viv, it can be mistaken for food. I saw a photo of a burm that ate a towel once.

In fact somewhere on the interwebs is a story and xrays about a burm that ate an electric blanket, plug and everything.

So maybe a sleeve is worth having a good think about, my reasonings for saying yes was becaise I have used fabric in my vivs before, and we tend to recommend sticking a sock or something similar in for first time keepers with skitty snakes.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant say I like the sock method either

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:37:13  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she's too small to eat it, and it's quite dense fibers so she'd have trouble getting caught in it, an dI really think it would help her get used to me, at least for a while.

Just found that burmese python/electric blanket article. All I can say is, wowza, glad the snake was okay.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

Edited by - josh9961 on 17/04/2010 23:40:56
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  03:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Weirdly I've never considered that could happen Matty and upon further thought it is a very valid point.
A vast amount of snakes will try to eat a lot of weird stuff and I've never thought of it like that, even though Mr Hissle used to try to eat his plastic plants it STILL didn't occur to me.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  04:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just looked at an article and pics of the python - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/07/060724-snake-blanket.html. I cannot believe it survived!

I know a number of forum members have used the method of putting a piece of their clothing in with a skittish new snake to help them adjust to their new owners smell, but have never had to do it myself. I can certainly understand the logic behind it, but hadnt considered that there might be dangers. I would hope that as it is usually down with littlies and the item is usually a sock (a knee high sock with the foot cut off seemed like the best suggestion I saw) then them swallowing them wouldnt be an issue....although them getting through the fabric would....

Definitely something to think about.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  08:52:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

Eek, would not want that, any idea why or how? that would take some huge application of force to get through that.

No idea, He's a big in every direction lol and I have yet to find a water bowl he does not move and he manages to move building pipes and he's so incredibly nosey. I think I'm lucky I caught him when I did I hate to think how long he had been like hat as last time I looked he was all snuggled upside. The only thing I can think of is maybe there was a loose area of threads somewhere that he made even looser and then went though but I checked to see if there was any loose ones before and I couldn't see any.

In any case, I imagine cutting up sleeve will make the threads of even a tightly threaded/woven item to become lose in areas. Maybe the mistake I made was that I just put it in that viv and it was a bit on the floppy side. If you maybe put a toilet roll in the sleeve that it won't happen. But then it's just a nicely decorated toilet roll lol

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  09:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
putting the toilet roll inside the slieve is a good idea cuz then i kepps it open as well.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  10:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Mr Hissle used to try to eat his plastic plants it STILL didn't occur to me.

Nothing ever does, does it??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000