Common Boa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:07:55  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Like the title says, I was browsing ancient posts under Off Corn, found one about Common Boas. So i got thinking... and I wants one. Not on a whim, I plan to do my research over the next few months at least. So does anyone have them? What are they like to house and care for? Are they fairly easy to look after?

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have one, Lee2308 has a couple that he's recently got.
They're brilliant snakes and not a huge amount more complicated than a corn really, but they do get bigger.

Mine is a year old exactly, and he's a strong little man already about 30 inches long the last time I measured him, and full of character.
He'll spend about 3 days doing nothing but sitting on his stick, and then he'll decide to be in his house all day.
Amazing snakes, a much smoother feeling compared to corns and brilliant eyes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 17/04/2010 21:29:31
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've already started reading up and I am not put off by big snakes and I have the space for one, so I'm just gathering my information (and cash £££) and I really love Boas.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:41:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
boas are awesome, deffinitely going to get one in a couple of years when i have the room and the cash.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you go to the right places you can get them pretty cheap sometimes.
My Marshmallow is het for snow and was in a rack with more expensive snakes but I still got him for 45 quid.
Dunno if a zero had rubbed off his price tag or not, but I was very chuffed either way. Hopefully in a couple years I shall put his genes to the test, if he produces snows then I shall be offering them for a knock down price of 500 notes each.
Although in reality the chance are very slim, but I can still dream.

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:38:44  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My local rep shop is usually pretty good, expensive corn snakes, but it's all quality livestock and he's an expert. I'm not sure if he has common boas, but if not he'll put me in touch with someone who does. :) That will be one snake crossed off my Wish List.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

My Marshmallow is het for snow

I think he was 66% poss het snow. How long ago was it? I still remember what was written on his tub.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He was 50%, so slightly less chance. But still a chance.

After getting that other king though, the missus is not exactly happy with the idea of me getting a female though.
YET.....

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  00:01:53  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been reading stuff and researching for the last few hours. What can pepole tell me about Dumeril's boas? :P

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  00:27:27  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

I've been reading stuff and researching for the last few hours. What can pepole tell me about Dumeril's boas? :P

I would tell you to go talk to GP lol.

It might be worth having a nosey over on either www.therainbowboa.co.uk and/or www.thereptilian.co.uk

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 18/04/2010 00:27:46
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:26:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

the missus is not exactly happy with the idea of me getting a female though.
YET.....

How could she say no to a face like this

Im new to boas and i think im smitten with them,their so docile and freindly,wish i got one sooner.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Im new to boas and i think im smitten with them,their so docile and freindly,wish i got one sooner.

We're not supposed to say that, we are supposed to mention how the postman and milkman have already disappeared and the snakies look well fed. Plus the fact that they have telecopic 24 inch teeth and like using them.

Otherwise our lovely quiet boa forum will fill up and we wont have the special snakes then because everyone would have them.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wait, are we talking about the boas that grow huge or the smaller boa's? I would love a big boa but I know that I probably wouldn't be able to care for it as good as a smaller snake due to the room size they need and I don't think I could feed rabbits to it... think you would have to make sure you could afford and make a good place for it to live. I wonder how you would heat the living area... huge heat mat? I bet the poo's are huge XD

I would love a rainbow boa though. They are lovely and small.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  22:35:12  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Columbian (common) boas only grow to around 7-8 foot i think, females also get a little longer and bigger than the males and most will be ok on Rats i believe. Although some of the bigger ones would need to be fed ona guinea pig or a rabbit.

Best to use a ceramic or IR bulb i thinks but not so sure.

Cost of keeping is certainly something that should be thought through though. Fully grown i believe they would need a minimum viv of 5x2x2.

And yes i imagine the poos would be huge lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  22:44:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Opps I've just realised I confused a boa to a python I was thinking of, I feel very stupid now.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  23:03:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Opps I've just realised I confused a boa to a python I was thinking of, I feel very stupid now.

Yes there are several species of Python that could easilly reach over 15-20 foot and they get very broad.

They had a burmese python in the rep shop where i got casper which weighed over 8stone. Not sure how long it was but i would say it was a good 10-12 foot, possibly even bigger, its hard to tell when the're all sprawled over the tank.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 18/04/2010 23:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  23:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can get some smaller boas as well, but an adult male BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator) will usually be around the 6-8ft mark which can be quite large for some people still.

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

As Danny said, there are species of python that can and will hit some good sizes.
The smaller pythons are royals or ball python for use of the more americanised term, these are normally around the 5-6ft mark so I believe, but as I don't own a royal I couldn't tell you for sure.
Our sister site www.theroyalpython.co.uk has a greater in depth knowledge of royals that is worth having a browse of if you're ever thinking about it. Some of the other members on here have royals as well so should be able to confirm the sizes they'll get to if you so wish.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6ft for a royal is very rare, but its possible. 4-5ft is normal.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  23:04:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On average how old is a boa when it gets to its full length?

Also out of curiosity how much do you feed them? Do you go by girth or weight of the snake, for example people say to feed a corn a meal which is around the same girth as the widest part of your snake, where as i know many people feed their royals a prey item which weighs around 10-15% of the weight of the royal.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000