Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks gmac. I know that must of sounded like a stupid question but it was puzzling me.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  18:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nottm335

I know that must of sounded like a stupid question but it was puzzling me.

no worries, If you dont know the answer, then no queston is or will sound stupid.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  18:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv that are found on walks and things as long as they are put in the oven for an hour or so first is this correct or will this introduce mites and things?

just becareful as there are some trees that shouldnt go in their vivs, pine is one of them but i cant remember the others that should be avoided!
just sand it down, get the bark off and cover it in 10% bleach for a few hours, then leave it to soak for a few more hours in water to get the bleach off and then id whack it in the oven at a high temp (about 200*c aught to do it) for a little while and it should be ok to use

and dont worry about asking 'daft' questions, we have all been there and asked the same thing

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  19:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks HannahB I think I will just buy some as it sounds too much like faffing around and I would hate to put the wrong sort of tree in or risk not doing the treatment right and causing the snake any harm.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  04:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv ........

No need to apologise for asking so many questions Steve, it shows how much you care about your corn that you are wanting to get things as right as possible.

HannahB is right about using wood from walks etc. I have used branches from my garden that my OH was sure was ok....and it is lovely having the different sort of shapes they form. I scrubbed them with reptile disinfectant and then baked them in the oven at 160oC for an hour. You can get some great pieces from shops, but they can be expensive.

This link may give you some idea as to what wood you could use - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7951&SearchTerms=toxic,wood, and this will help tell you what to do with it if you find some - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8509&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=branches,

quote:

....... I want to know if a snake is fed outside its viv which if I am correct is the best way to do it and you cant handle them for 48 hours after a fed how do you get them back into the viv????

Although snakes can be fed inside their vivs I, personally, think it is preferable to feed them outside - it avoids the risk of them swallowing some substrate and causing an impaction....and it also gives a great chance for pics !

Both mine are fed on towels on the floor, as they are adults, and I just wait until the 'bump' is about halfway down their body and then do as Gmac said - I just lift them very gently, supporting them carefully on either side of the 'bump'. For a baby you can feed inside a RUB which you can line with kitchen roll. Then you can either gently lift the kitchen roll, supporting the snake, and guide it back into the viv or you can tip the RUB slightly into the opening of the viv and allow your snake to slither out and into its viv at its own speed.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/04/2010 04:46:23
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  09:38:42  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, and welcome!

I'm sure someone on here said all soft woods (like pine etc) were a no-no, although Cork seems to be fine.

Sometimes I have to put the lid of a RUB in Gobo's viv, and feed him on that, as taking him out means he spends more time wanting to explore than eating. :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  20:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your advice friends. Its nice to know I can ask anything and as often as I like. I now have my new baby home and he is fab. As soon as he has had his week of settling in I will get some pics up. If I can get some through the glass on wednesday then I will up load those. Once again THANK YOU ALL. x
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  14:00:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:22:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. You'll find we're a friendly lot. Our biggest problem is we are too nosey....so photos asap please!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:49:51  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if u feed ur snake in a rub can u carefully lift the rub up to the viv and tilt it slightly so snake can slither out back into the viv

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000