Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would drop by to say a great big HI to all. I am getting my first corn snake in over 15 years on monday and I am very excited. xxx

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
where abouts in notts you from?
i used to be in mapperly/gedling before i shifted down south lol
look forwards to pics once your new arrival has had a week to settle in

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum

paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am from Carlton which is classed as Gedling so when you lived here you were not far from me. I will get pics up as soon as he has had his week of settling in. Thank you and to Paul for welcoming me to this site.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice one not too far from my parents at all
out of interest what rep shop you go to? i used to go to Medusa Exotics at the bottom of westdale lane - the guys there were fantastic with my non feeder

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  20:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi as I havent got the snake yet I havent started using any pet shops. That being said when I do get him on Monday I will use Medusa Exotics for his food as it is only down the road from me. As far as getting him things to go in his viv for a change I can get from work as I work for a pet wholesalers so get everything I would need at cost. He will come with a full set up as I am buying him from a private seller with viv and equiptment but I know that they like to explore new surroundings so I thought of getting more plants and things for him to slither through and so on. If I am wrong in doing that please tell me.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good set up.. how old is the snake you are getting? just make sure that theres a stat with the set up - its often deemed unimportant but its a vital piece of equipment
medusas is great - i always got my food from there and got my king snake from there aswell

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  21:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know how old he is. I know that he is just over 5ft long so I am thinking he is between 3 and 5 years old?. As far as the equiptment that comes with the set up I was told I dont need to buy anything but having not seen it yet I couldnt tell you whats there other than heat mat 2 hides and other things not stated. I will make sure I have everything that he needs. I have been reading posts and the care sheet on this site and looked things up on the net for a little over a month now so I have a shopping list put together of things that are needed so will make that one of my first jobs to get whatever isnt there. He is an Annery and I have been told that he poo's, shed's and eats well unlike this fella's other snake that is a fussy eater he say's so with him saying that I would like to think he is being honest with me.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya and welcome to the forum. Aneries are nice, but dont judge the age by length of the snake not a very accurate way to determine age.

Enjoy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks and Hi gmac
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi steve and welcome. Sounds like your snakie is a big lad. Can't wait to see pics once he is settled in. Let us know what he is like once you bring him home.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  04:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Steve, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is obvious that you have been doing your research before getting your snake - you have had 15 years to be prepared so I am not surprised!

Obviously you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. Another place to look, along with the care sheet, is this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. I know he is coming in his own viv so in a sense he will be still in his own home, but things will still be very different for him. All you need to do is put your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about him not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are (and he certainly isnt small!). You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

I am sure that you have already found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

It sounds like the person you are getting him from is being fairly open with you. When you do get him I hope you get as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

It is difficult to know what will come with him regarding his set-up. When I bought Kellog, he was sold as a snake with full viv set-up....but turned out he was being heated by a bulb (with no guard), his temps were only being monitored using those useless dial thermometer stuck halfway up the viv wall, he only had one hide and that was it! Obviously I had to make a few changes and am finally happy with the set-up he is in....heatmat, stat, digital thermometer, 2 hides, branches, plants, rocks....and he is so much happier too!

Pics have already been asked for and it is actually an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  12:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. Kellog, Thank you very much for your post it was very informative. I have to be honest with you, I have already stolen your idea of keeping records of shedding, feeding ect ect, and I have made myself a folder on the laptop with charts and important information so I can keep a track of every little detail. I am hoping he will be a happy snake and as I am fortunate enough to work for a pet wholesalers who sell everything I can buy him lots of things at discounted prices to occupy him lol. I do know that he gets fed every Friday, and I know about the one week rule so dose that mean that I miss his feed and give him it on the following Monday or do I feed him on Friday as usual and do it in his viv on a small tray?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  14:53:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just leave him be for a week and feed him on the monday. Healthy snakes can go for ages without eating so a couple of days won't do any harm.

Welcome to the forum.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  15:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Danny
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to ask so many questions folks but I have been told that it is ok to put tree branches/logs in the viv that are found on walks and things as long as they are put in the oven for an hour or so first is this correct or will this introduce mites and things?
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kittycat and Lee thanks for you welcome. I want to know if a snake is fed outside its viv which if I am correct is the best way to do it and you cant handle them for 48 hours after a fed how do you get them back into the viv????
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All mine are fed out of their vivs, you can lift them back in to the viv, while gently supporting them either side of the bump

Edited by - gmac on 18/04/2010 17:02:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000