Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New queries- help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  16:44:54  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Just got a bigger heat-mat for Dimika's new viv - but I have NO IDEA how to get it in the viv. I know you can drill a small hole to put the wire through, but what if the plug can't be taken off or apart, how do you get the wire through then?

What should I do, as I would really like for it to be in the viv with her.

Also, how do I stop her pushing through the small gap between the two panes of glass? I've read the topic in the DIY section, but which method is best for a small corn? Do locks help? I have got a binder end to stick on if that helps
Sorry to ramble, just want to get it right.
Thanks, Lil xx

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Not sure about heat mat but to stop the glass doors being slid open I use a bit of carboard in the gap, the corrigated type. Not the pleasing to look at but works a treat!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:01:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have no idea how to fit the wires into the viv that's why I'm getting a viv that says it has holes for cables. I think it has some sort of hole at the top and then you put then lid on and it stops the cable from moving. If you want to take the wired item out you have to undo the lid.#

As for escapees you can get cardboard or there's like these foam wedges on ebay that work well, presuming you mean that she's pushing the glass to get out not getting in between the gap as if she can get her body in-between the gap I would say she doesn't need a viv yet and it would be safer for her to be in a RUB.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the plug is one of the type that is fixed at the end, you will have to cut it off and strip the wires back and buy a normal plug. You then drill a hole just small enough to get the cable through and put the mat inside the viv and push the cut end of the cable through to the outside. (I am assuming this is a wooden viv - please don't drill glass ). If you have a digital heat probe you can put through the same hole. You can then re-wire plug etc., and if necessary, fill any gaps around the drilled hole with a little of the sawdust and glue mix. It is a good idea to keep snakie in a rub for 48 hours whilst you do this if glue is being used, so that it can fully cure and dry out and allow any 'smell' to dissipate.

Conversly, if you have a plastic vent, you can cut through one of the strands of that and push your wires through.

Hopefully some of the others may come and offer suggestions soon... J
PS.. check out the DIY section for suitable glue types to use etc... use to be a fair few on there from what I remember... you may have to go into archived posts to find some of these...

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  18:18:14  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys I don't know if she'd get out herriotfan - I'll measure the gap; it's about 4mm at a push and she about 1cm thick at the head so I'll be getting some of that card x)

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000