couple of question about feeding??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes are gettin a bit big for large mice now u cant even see the bump in them from the large mice anymore

so tryin them on rat wieners which r a bit bigger tho i know they're not to big they dont seem to like them was wanderin y this is?

Also is there a size restriction on food u can feed them cos iv heard not to feed them anything wider than them and that they can take anything only up to a third wider than them? which is true?????

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:48:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can feed a prey item which is upto around 1.5x the girth of your snakes widest point.

How old, long and heavy is your corn?

You can also get XL (ex breeder) mice, you may want to try them if they don't like the rat weiners. Rats will taste different to mice so if your corns have been fed mice all there lives then that is what they have become used to. Rats are also higher in fat than mice and since your corn is pretty big it might be that they don't really need to put any more weight on which is why i ask the initial questions.

Once they get to a certain size it is best to give them food to maintain their weight rather than gain some.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
generally the guideline is to feed them something no bigger than 1.5x the width of the snake,
you could get them xlarge mice or xbreeders or feed them 2 mice at a time if you dont think they are getting enough
how big are they?

sorry for the repeat danny

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 12/04/2010 23:00:00
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  03:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is definitely important to know the weight, length and age of your corns and how often you feed them SanJ.

My Kellog must be coming up for 5 yrs old, is 4'5" long and had topped the 800g mark (he has lost some weight as it is mating season so he isnt eating). Because of his weight I have now moved him on to a maintenance diet of only feeding him 1 Xlarge mouse/jumbo mouse once a fortnight. I will monitor his weight and if he is still gaining then I will move it to every 3 weeks. He is an adult now and shouldnt rightly be putting on any more weight as I dont want an overweight snake and he is just perfect at the moment.

I know this sounds bizarre but if you were to cut your corns in half would their cross section be an arch or a circle? If it is an arch then their weight is fine, but if they are round then they are overweight. Also, if you can see skin through the gaps in their scales when they are relaxed (not curled up) then you have the same problem - I am not assuming that your snakes are overweight, just giving you the things to look out for, which reassured me when I found out.

I also agree with what Danny about rats - although they are thought to be more nutritious and have more calcium due to more solid bone structure than mice, they are high in fat. I know a few members do feed their corns rats, but most of us tend to feed extra large/jumbo/ex-breeder mice (35g plus) every 10 days to 2 weeks. As I have said, this is really just a maintenance diet as they are no longer growing and needing to put on weight.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  22:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx guys in response 2 your questions dunno how heavey they r cos dont have the appropiate scales but will buy some now. As for length my biggest casper is exactly 3ft. And u can see the skin between the scales on 1 of mine.....is them bein over weight a serious health problem? Will b postin pics soon
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  22:56:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe that them being overweight is not necersarily an issue in itself but can lead to further health problems.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  23:27:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you can't see a bump after feeding a large mouse, then its time to slow the feeding down - especially if the scales are stretched apart to expose skin.
My adults get a medium mouse every 7(ish) days, sometimes missing a week, and sometimes (not too often) they get 2 mediums.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  00:04:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My corns love rats... one loves them a little too much and has become very, very tubby so x large mice are better. Once fat, it seems like it is hard for them to loose the weight.

Being over weight is more healthy than being underweight. It's when you get too fat is when the health problems kick in.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000